Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Mary Kate McKenna (or Kenna or Kennagh) of Carbonear
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:23 pm 

I am looking for information on Mary Kate McKenna (Kenna or Kennaugh) who lived in Carbonear or vicinity during the 1800's or her family. Information would be very much appreciated,

Frank Walsh

Post subject: Re: Mary Kate McKenna (or Kenna or Kennagh) of Carbonear
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:41 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Mary Kenna was baptized 18 June 1829, the daughter of Patrick Kenna and Elizabeth Phelan/Whelan. Mary Kenna married at Carbonear on 29 May 1851 to James Furlong (c1822-1884), the son of Patrick Furlong and Mary Walsh.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:20 pm 

Hi Frank,

I have Mary Kate McKenna b. 1876 (traced back to Carbonear) m. Darius (Roy) Lane of Gambo in 1886, d. 1945 and buried in Gambo (Mint Brook). If this is the person you are researching, I have further info – she is my late husband’s grandmother.

Carol Walsh

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:08 pm 

Hi, Carol, Thanks for your reply. I have been searching for Mary Kate for some time now. If you mean Mary Kate "traced" to Carbonear via the census in question I have traced all the Kennas in and around Carbonear (especially Mary Kate, Mary Catherine,Mary Kathleen) at The Rooms and online and have failed to find her in Carbonear. That just means maybe she may have lived there but not born there. I have found some Kennas (McKennas) in Carbonear and they did live there but have disappeared from that (and Harbour Grace ) communities. If Mary Kate is connected to the PEI McKennas it can only be through Owen McKenna from County Monaghan. I found a Mary Catherine McKenna born in Clogher, County Monaghan but PEI Genealogists can find no connection between the Newfoundland and PEI McKennas (Kennas). Anyhow, somehow, I'm sure she will turn up. All the best. (Any further information would be appreciated). By the way, Mary Kate was my wife's Great Grandmother.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames