Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Harts from Labrador
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 pm 

Harts
William Hart, Elizabeth Finch; Mary Jane Hart; Archibald Arnott Hart;
All above associated with Forteau and St Paul's River, Labrador.
Looking for info on any or all of above.
I believe they are related!!

Post subject: Re: Harts from Labrador
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 pm 

I don't know if this is relevant to your family, or not, but an area near Brador, Labrador (Lower North Shore) was occupied by a family with the last name of Hart. The information below is taken from the NL Provincial Archaeology reports (on-line) at - http://www.btcrd.gov.nl.ca/pao/index.html
This particular quote below is from the 2015 report for the area by Patrick Jolicoeur & William W. Fitzhugh.
Good luck in your search.
Cheers
Greg Mitchell

"T he Smithsonian Arctic Studies Center re-turned to the Hart Chalet Inuit village (EiBi-47) located west of the Brador River on the Quebec Lower North Shore (LNS). The purpose of the 2015 season was to excavate a portion of the previously untested third house in or-der to verify its age and relationship to Houses 1 and 2. House 1 was partially excavated in 2014 while House 2 was only tested (Fitzhugh 2014). Both hous-es had been disturbed by land-clearing and construc-tion of the Hart cottage in the early 1960s, resulting in the destruction of their middens. House 3 was cov-ered with mature spruce trees and undisturbed

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:59 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Archibald Arnott Hart was born at Trinity 20 September 1861, the son of William Hart and Elizabeth Finch. He was named after an uncle by marriage. He apparently came to Forteau as a school teacher and married Kate (c1864-1920). Archibald died at Forteau on 24 May 1936.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Archibald A. Hart is listed in the 1935 census as living with his two sons William E. Hart and George A. Hart. Residing in the next house was Kelson Hart (1899 - 1992) and his wife Caroline (1910 - 1980). I assume he is Archibald's son as Hart is an uncommon surname in Forteau. I do not know if Kelson's children remained in Forteau.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames