Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Hickey and King Family Information from 1880's Or So.
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am 

Looking for my Grandfather—Patrick Joseph Valance (Vallance?) Hickey

My family tree is complete—with one big exception—the family of my paternal grandfather. L really hope someone can help me find the missing piece.

Patrick was born June 5, 1888 – his enlistment records say St. John’s. His parents, according to his marriage records in Quebec, were Edward Patrick Hickey and Eleanor King. Eleanor is listed as ‘the late” so she had died before his marriage in Dec. 1922.

My Ancestry DNA has tied me to another (I think) family in Nfld. Patrick Hickey and Johanna King. On May 29 1892 they had a daughter, Lucy Ann and lived in Monkstown. Subsequently they had sons named Patrick and James. My new-found cousins tell me that they used to live on Circular Drive in St. John’s.

What I don’t know is how my Grandfather Patrick Joseph Hickey is related to Patrick and Johanna King, nor if there was a family relationship between Eleanor and Johannah King.

I’d also like to know the significance of his given name ‘Vallance”. It was obviously important to him because he gave the name to his son/my father.

Have been searching your records but haven’t found the piece I need—yet. PJV Hickey has one surviving daughter left and I’d like to be able to tell her more.

Post subject: Re: Hickey and King Family Information from 1880's Or So.
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 am 

mapleleaf wrote:
Looking for my Grandfather—Patrick Joseph Valance (Vallance?) Hickey

My family tree is complete—with one big exception—the family of my paternal grandfather. L really hope someone can help me find the missing piece.

Patrick was born June 5, 1888 – his enlistment records say St. John’s. His parents, according to his marriage records in Quebec, were Edward Patrick Hickey and Eleanor King. Eleanor is listed as ‘the late” so she had died before his marriage in Dec. 1922.

My Ancestry DNA has tied me to another (I think) family in Nfld. Patrick Hickey and Johanna King. On May 29 1892 they had a daughter, Lucy Ann and lived in Monkstown. Subsequently they had sons named Patrick and James. My new-found cousins tell me that they used to live on Circular Drive in St. John’s.

What I don’t know is how my Grandfather Patrick Joseph Hickey is related to Patrick and Johanna King, nor if there was a family relationship between Eleanor and Johannah King.

I’d also like to know the significance of his given name ‘Vallance”. It was obviously important to him because he gave the name to his son/my father.

Have been searching your records but haven’t found the piece I need—yet. PJV Hickey has one surviving daughter left and I’d like to be able to tell her more.

Hi Karen!
Welcome to Newfoundland Grand Banks Genealogy.....Surprisingly enough I to am another Karen Hickey!!what part of Ontario do you live? I too lived in Kitchener as a child until my Parents moved home in 1975. Monks town is at Placentia Bay.My Grandfather was John Joseph Hickey and his Father was John Hickey.just wanted to say my pop had a brother Edward whom I can't trace!? He was born 1882.If I come across anything I'll gladly share it!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames