Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Lewis of Holyrood
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:35 pm 

Hi my name Is Glenn ,, my grand dad was Phil Lewis born 1917 at st Shotts of James Lewis 1881of Holyrood. I have found parents as Elias Lewis and Ellen maher,,,,
Would greatly appreciate any thoughts
Glenn Neilson

Sent from my iPad

Post subject: Re: Lewis of Holyrood
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:42 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Have you seen the book "Come Ashore to Holyrood" by Mary G. Veitch? There is also a website called "holyroodgen.net" which may be of assistance. I am guessing you are likely descended from Elias Luis and Mary Kennedy who married in 1828, or Elias Lewis and Elizabeth Penny who were married sometime prior to 1817.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 pm 

Yes I have read the book by Mary Veitch ,, great read and very informative. The website was new to me, still reading through it ,, but thanks for the infor Edward,,,,

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:16 pm 

I am trying to find a Harry Lewis born 1889. It says Newbridge, Newfoundland on his Census and Marriage record. I can't find anything before his Marriage Record. He married Theresa or Teresa Power 21 Jan 1911 St. Joseph's Placentia Bay St. Mary's.

This family is connected to the Grace's, Mcdonald's, Power, and Moriaity's.

Any connections? Also, are you able to pull church records? I appreciate any help or tips.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:22 pm 

Harry Lewis was born to Simon Lewis and Winniford Dobbin at Newbridge, St. Mary's Bay 2 Oct 1890. He was lost in the wreck of the schooner Bonnie Lass on 25 Sept 1916 off Waddleton's Point near Trepassey.
Simon was a son of John Lewis and Ellen Byrne born Oct 1857 in Holyrood; his family moved to Newbridge about 1860. John and Ellen's family are the great (and gg) grand parents of all the Lewis's found in St. Mary's Bay today.
Harry's widow Theresa later married a Cassimer Slaney and lived their lives on the property previously occupied by my great uncle Simon. Simon was my grandfather's brother.
For other information on the Lewis Tree please contact me by e-mail at jerryandlindalewis@yahoo.ca

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames