Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Smith
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 am 

William Smith and wife Patience Smith of Chance Cove had a son called Abraham Smith, born 22 July 1823, another son called Jacob, B. N/A
Abraham married Unknown, and had sons called Matthew Smith B. 1853, and Samuel Smith B. 1853 at Chance Cove.
Matthew Smith married a Phoebe Dix from Little Harbour, Placentia Bay, and moved to Hopeal, NL. They had two children, Abraham Smith, b. 1880, and Sarah Smith b.1886.
Abraham Smith married a Rebecca Strickland from Whitbourne, her father was called William Strickland, Matthew & William were witness at the wedding, on 28 December 1907. No other information. It was said that Rebecca died two years after the marriage ? Where did Abraham go?
Sarah Smith may have married a Samuel Cumby from Hopeall? Record indicate a marriage on 31 Oct. 1907.....
Who was the father of James H. Smith, was believe to be Abraham Smith and unknown?
James married a lady called Lillian from Nova Scotia, had two adopted children called Vivian & Havelock Smith. Havelock we know little about. Vivian Married a Howell, Children, Pattie, Roger and Scott Howell.
The big question is, Where did James H. Smith come from? he was born in 1916 and he died in Hopeall on 14 Feb. 1988.
There was a Josiah Smith, a foster son of Matthew Smith. Possible parents were Lyall Smith and Elizabeth, was believed that after Elizabeth died, Josiah Smith went to live with Matthew Smith, Elizabeth died after Josiah was born? Where or who was the father of Lyall Smith?

Post subject: Re: Smith
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:36 pm 

Hello,

Just thought I would touch base, I think your Smith heritage likely connects with mine although I will say I do not have much to add to your summary on Abraham nor your questions on James.

I will say that Abraham was actually born in late 1822; his baptism record in July 1823 stated he was 8 months old at time of baptism. His brother Jacob was older, born on December 15, 1818.

My ancestor is Robert R (I believe middle name Richard) Smith born about 1826 -- there is no baptism record for him, except that 1894 McAlpines of Norman's Cove states he is the son of William...I have thought he is likely the son of William and Patience; his son Jacob was my gg granddfather. So, Robert named his first son Jacob (I have long thought that the Smith patriarch, father of William, might be a Jacob?) and then his second son William Caleb after both his father and his wife Elizabeth White's father. He also had a son later named Robert Richard, hence my hypothesis on Robert's middle name.

There was also a Hezekiah Smith born in the period; again, no baptism (so many records lost in the fire of the period!) but 1871 Lovells in Chance Cove states he was son of William, so I think another sibling?

I do have a few suggestions for you. There are many records available at the Anglican Archives in St John's but they can only be viewed there -- they are not online. I was researching another family line in Whitbourne and note there is also a great deal of information there for families in neighbouring areas like Norman's Cove, New Harbour, etc. Perhaps there could be something there for you. The nice thing about the records there are that all marriages also give the father's name.

Also The Rooms has many records for the early part of the 1900's -- baptisms, marriages and deaths that are not transcribed online and can be viewed there as well. Maybe your James 1915 can be found.

Couple of other notes: Your Matthew 1853 did remarry in 1893 in Hopeall after the death of Phoebe. He married Isabella Williams -- he 38, she 21.

Also an observation on the name Matthew -- in that area of Trinity Bay (Chance Cove/Chapel Arm/Norman's Cove), it seems to me that the earliest Matthew (a somewhat uncommon name in that area/period) was Matthew Temple b. 1829, son of George Temple. George is well-established as born in England, and had a brother Matthew. Makes me wonder if the mystery mother might have been a Temple, naming traditions were fairly well established back in the period.

Lots of speculation but little proof! :)

If you would like to connect and compare Smith notes, I am at carol.dimond@sympatico.ca.

Regards,
Carol

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames