Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Crute, Hanrahan, Gatheral, Getheral
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm 

Hoping that perhaps someone in this forum is able to help me break through a couple of brick walls in my genealogy research. My father's grandfather was Augustus Crute (b. 1861-1866 and d. October 1909) and his grandmother was Bridget Gatheral aka Getheral (b. 1868 and d. 1932) both from Newfoundland. Making some progress on the Getheral/Gatheral line, but Bridget's mother Anastatia Hanrahan (b. abt 1847) is a mystery. No record prior to her marriage to Edward Getheral. I heard that she was from Clare County Ireland, but unable to find any records for her there either. The spelling of her last name has been listed several ways: Hanrahan, Hanrehann, Hanrehan

I am most frustrated with his grandfather's line, as there is absolutely no information of his existence prior to his marriage to Bridget Gatheral. There was some notes in a box that speculated that his parents were Thomas Errin Crute and Anastatia Grills, but I highly doubt that is the case. Thomas and Anastatia had several kids and moved to the US when the kids were young. None of the records, census, ships, birth, baptisms, etc. include a record for Augustus. He lived in St. Johns when he died in October 1909, so it appears that he never left.

There is some family rumblings about Augustus coming over from Liverpool, but I checked those records too - nothing.

My father has done the AncestryDNA, so that really helped to identify Bridget's family, but not one Crute surname comes up in any trees of for his DNA matches and there are some very large trees.

Help!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames