Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Howell search
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:07 pm 

I am stuck searching for Orestes Taylor Howell (could be under Orestry and Restes) mom is Sarah Jane Howell (her parents James Howell and Sarah Moores). My question I cannot locate a father for Orestes (born July 27 1853 Carbonear) nor can I find the parents of James Howell (who was married to Sarah Moores - Dec 1827) There were so many James Howell's. Anyone out there that could maybe point me in the right direction.

Post subject: Re: Howell search
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:14 am 

Orestes Taylor Howell's mother is Sarah Jane Howell but there never was a father listed nor a marriage for Sarah Jane so we are to assume Orestes was born out of wedloc. Sarah Jane's parents were Sarah Moores 1806-1874 and James Howell 1788-1876 they had 4 children, Eloise patience 1830, Sarah Jane 1835, George James1838, and William Charles 1843.

James also had an earlier marriage to Patience Taylor 1798-1826 and had 1 son Ebenezer Taylor howell 1822

James Howell's father was James Howell 1749-1837, James had a brother john Howell 1785- 1867 and possibly a brother Robert 1793-1819 who died young, he is buried beside his father.

James Howell 1749-1837 had a will and left his property to all his grandchildren http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/howell-james-1-433.shtml.

In the will James's son James Jr only had one son at the time which was Ebenezer and it stresses that if he has any more son's that the property is to be divided with them also.

I have a copy of a bill of sale from James Howell 1788-1876 to Charles Howell and Orestes Howell,
James Howell to Charles Howell and Orestes Howell Dated 04 March 1876

Memorial of an indenture bearing date at Carbonear in the island of Newfoundland the fourth day of March in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy six thereby James Howell fisherman in the consideration of the sum of four dollars paid to him by his son Charles Howell and his nephew Orestes Howell the right of which was acknowledged and also in consideration of the love and affection he has for them for supporting him for several years did grant bargain sell assign convey and confirm unto the said Charles and Orestes Howell their heirs and ???? ??? all those pieces or parcels of land lying and being on the North side of Carbonear aforesaid bounded and measuring as follows on the waterside premises bounded on the east by land owned by Robert Howell and measuring thereby 120 ft or thereabouts on the north by land owned by Ambrose Tucker and measuring thirty feet or thereabouts, on the west by land owned by estate of the late William Bemister and measuring thereby 120 feet or thereabouts and on the south by the harbour, also a piece or parcel of land situated on the north side of Main Street bounded and measuring as follows in the east by James Howell’s property West by property of Robert Howell, North by a public road and south by Main Street aforesaid measuring thirty ?? to the Northern boundary two hundred and eighty six feet or thereabouts together with all right of ways paths passages ?????? privileges and appetencies to the same belonging or appertaining, to have and to hold the same unto the said Charles Howell and Orestes Howell their heirs or assigns forever, provided that in the event of the death of the said Orestes Howell without any heirs than the said piece of lands shall become the property of the said Charles Howell his heirs or assigns.

James Howell
His X mark

Witness being fully read and explained
George Tuffin
George Best
Receipt of the sum of Four dollars Newfoundland harbour Grace to with.

There is also some other info about this family available in Court records, I just haven't got back to Newfoundland to get it, I found their name's mentioned in a thesis, if you have a connection in Newfoundland someone may be able to search these for you, here are the details..from the original document I hope one day get back to Newfoundland a look up these court cases which look like it is about your family, this info was taken from a thesis

MATRIMONIAL PROPERTY LAW IN NEWFOUNDLAND
TO THE END OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY
by
Trudi Dale Johnson

18 In the case of Howell v. Howell in 1847,
Ann Taylor, wife of Jonathan Taylor, a planter in Carbonear, gave evidence in an assault case committed by John Howell and Benjamin Howell on Mrs. Sarah Howell.'

*W ives also went to court on behalf of their husbands when property ownership was in dispute.
19 The same Sarah Howell retumed to Magistrates Court in Harbour Grace only a few months later to claim "quiet and peaceable possession of property" disputed by her husband's relatives

18 PANL, GN 5/3/'119, Harbour Grace Magistrates Court, Box 56, f. 5, 1840 -
1849, May 8, 1847.

19 PANL,G N 5/3/B/19H,a rbour Grace Magistrates Court Records. box 6 1. f. 3.
1830 - 1849, November 1847.

If I were you I would get a DNA test and you may fined that you are possibly related to Orestes Taylor, Orestes Taylor 1827-1863 was not a common name he married Lydia foot in 1857 and had 4 children before he died

Don Howell
Halifax

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:24 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The transcript of Orestrey Taylor Howell's birth/baptism does not list a father, that would indicate he was illegitimate.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:55 pm 

1. JAMES5 HOWELL (JAMES4, ROBERT3, RICHARD2, ROBERT1)1 was born 1788 in Carbonear, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, and died June 30, 1876 in Carbonear N Side - Methodist (UC) Cemetery. He married (1) PATIENCE TAYLOR 1819 in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada; Marriage: St Pauls Church, Witness: John Taylor, Rich'd C. Searle. He married (2) SARAH MOORES1 December 09, 1827 in St Pauls Anglican Church Harbour Grace NL; Marriage: Witness: Joseph Ash Taylor, William Loader, both of Carbonear, daughter of CHARLES MOORES.

Child of JAMES HOWELL and PATIENCE TAYLOR is:
2. i. EBENEZER TAYLOR6 HOWELL, b. March 14, 1822, Carbonear, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Children of JAMES HOWELL and SARAH MOORES are:
3. ii. ELOISE PATIENCE6 HOWELL, b. June 21, 1830, Carbonear Newfoundland and Labrador; d. June 18, 1909, Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Age: 78.
4. iii. SARAH JANE HOWELL, b. November 25, 1835, Carbonear Newfoundland and Labrador.
iv. GEORGE JAMES HOWELL1, b. July 23, 1838, Carbonear Newfoundland and Labrador.

More About GEORGE JAMES HOWELL:
Baptism: May 19, 1839, Carbonear Wesleyan Methodist Church, Carbonear, Newfoundland, Canada

5. v. WILLIAM CHARLES HOWELL, b. November 23, 1843, Carbonear Newfoundland and Labrador; d. January 29, 1913, St John's Newfoundland and Labrador.

Here is the link to James Howell Sr Will which names the grandchildren
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/howell-james-1-433.shtml

James Howell to Charles Howell and Orestes Howell Dated 04 March 1876

Memorial of an indenture bearing date at Carbonear in the island of Newfoundland the fourth day of March in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy six thereby James Howell fisherman in the consideration of the sum of four dollars paid to him by his son Charles Howell and his nephew Orestes Howell the right of which was acknowledged and also in consideration of the love and affection he has for them for supporting him for several years did grant bargain sell assign convey and confirm unto the said Charles and Orestes Howell their heirs and ???? ??? all those pieces or parcels of land lying and being on the North side of Carbonear aforesaid bounded and measuring as follows on the waterside premises bounded on the east by land owned by Robert Howell and measuring thereby 120 ft or thereabouts on the north by land owned by Ambrose Tucker and measuring thirty feet or thereabouts, on the west by land owned by estate of the late William Bemister and measuring thereby 120 feet or thereabouts and on the south by the harbour, also a piece or parcel of land situated on the north side of Main Street bounded and measuring as follows in the east by James Howell’s property West by property of Robert Howell, North by a public road and south by Main Street aforesaid measuring thirty ?? to the Northern boundary two hundred and eighty six feet or thereabouts together with all right of ways paths passages ?????? privileges and appetencies to the same belonging or appertaining, to have and to hold the same unto the said Charles Howell and Orestes Howell their heirs or assigns forever, provided that in the event of the death of the said Orestes Howell without any heirs than the said piece of lands shall become the property of the said Charles Howell his heirs or assigns.

James Howell
His X mark

I hope this helps, This is the only Senerio that works, James brother John had a son James that married Catherine Gosse, I don't believe he married twice, I know you have been searching for a long time and I thought I may have answered this question before. You may want to do a DNA test and research Orestes Taylor, he died 1863, he had children, and your ggrandfather may be one of them.

Don Howell
halifax

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames