Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: KOUGH in Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:26 pm 

Hello,

I was referred here from Rootschat because I thought I would try to contact relatives in Newfoundland. The name of this branch of my family is Kough and they shipped goods in the late 18C and 19C from New Ross, Co. Wexford to St Johns. Some of the family moved to St Johns.
Quote:
"One of the leading firms in New Ross, the Koughs, had at least 3 vessels engaged in the Newfoundland trade in 1798. Two of them, the “Chilcomb” (Michael Kavanagh capt.) and the “Anne” (Patk Ryan capt.) cleared for St. John’s with their provisions & passengers 27th March. A third ship , the “Two Brothers” (Nicholas Clark capt.) was delayed by the Battle of Ross & did not get away until mid-August. Its captain & crew were no doubt, a major source of news to the Newfoundland Irish on arriving in St. John’s.
The Koughs were protestant & staunch loyalists. Thomas Jr, son of the firm’s founder, lived in St John’s & married there in 1774 Elizabeth, daughter of Elliott Elmes, also a New Ross merchant. They formed the core of a small, closely knit protestant community specializing in the Newfoundland trade. "

My ggggfr Edward Kough stayed in Ireland but I obviously still have family in Newfoundland whom it would be nice to be in touch with.
I now live in Canada (though on the wrong side) but The Rock is somewhere I would love to visit one day.

Some of the family may have changed the name to Keogh (or variants).

Warm greetings,
Charles Bazalgette

Post subject: Re: KOUGH in Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 pm 

Hi, I just came on Patrick Keough 1820 from Wexford in Torbay as he married my relative Anastacia Goss. There is a tree on Ancestry that descends to a "living" relative. If you are not a member I could get you in touch. I only have facts but they probably have more info. My Great Grandfather Patrick J Doyle came from New Ross also at about that time

Linda Tapper

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:42 pm 

Thank you Linda! Trouble is I suppose that there must also have been Keoughs in the New Ross area so it's hard to know if this one changed his name from Kough or not....
I'm not a member of Ancestry but if you are OK with passing the info on I will give it a try.
Many thanks again.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:04 am 

Kavanagh, Ryan and Keogh/Kehoe are all St. John's East names, although also very old names in the larger area. Got all three in my tree, actually. Any luck recently? James Kavanagh Co. in St. Johns was an old shipping company, have you checked any business dealings with them?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm 

Not sure if you're still active on this post, Charles, but you've found an ancestor right here! I am a descendant of Edward Keough!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm 

Hi - sorry I haven't checked this board for ages. Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can find about James Kavanagh Co. in St. Johns. Cheers

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm 

shannonwoodrow wrote:
Not sure if you're still active on this post, Charles, but you've found an ancestor right here! I am a descendant of Edward Keough!

Hi Shannon - haven't been here for ages I'm afraid. Are you sure, considering that Kough is the name in my family. Where was your Edward born?

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames