Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Tucker's and Brennan's from Torbay mid to late 1800's
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:52 pm 

I am trying to find more information on my great grandparents who are from the Torbay area. Ignatius Tucker was born around 1860 or 1863 and Ellen Brennan around 1866. They had a farm on Torbay Road in the late 1800's before finally moving into St. John's in the early 1900's. The Tucker's in particular I cannot find much. Ignatius was orphaned as a child and placed with a "Granny" Walsh in the area who took in orphaned children. The parents of Ignatius (according to his marriage record) were something similar to Manuel and Patiene Tucker of Torbay. I have found a Manville and Patience Tucker from Portugal Cove but cannot find a birth or baptism record for Ignatius.

Post subject: Re: Tucker's and Brennan's from Torbay mid to late 1800's
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:24 pm 

Hello Deanne,
I believe this may be the birth/bapt. record for Ignatius Tucker. It is from the Catholic Holy Rosary Church in Portugal Cove. I read the entry as follows ..."Dec 2 ? 1861 Bapt Ignatius Tucker of Mandrove Tucker and Patient King."
The penmanship is not the best. I can't decipher the sponsers' names. Here is the link to that document and the entry is at the top of the left hand page.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1939435

Now this church has records transcribed on Newfoundland Genealogy sites and they record the name as Augustine or put a question mark. It looks like Ignatius to me. What do you think?
Linda Moss

Post subject: Re: Tucker's and Brennan's from Torbay mid to late 1800's
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:12 am 

Thank you so much Linda! I also see Ignatius there as well and not the Augustine I had previously found. I believe the witnesses listed are William Hynes and Susanna Tucker. I have come across the Hynes family name and Susanna Tucker on the other children of Mandville/Mandrove and Patience. I am very excited! I may actually be getting somewhere. The Tucker side is the only true mystery of our family genealogy.

Thanks again Linda!!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames