Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Samuel and Catherine (Moores) Butt
 Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:30 pm 

I have run into a roadblock in terms of doing research for a friend and his wife so as to give it to them as a Christmas present this year. As the subject indicates, I am looking for the mother and father of both Samuel Butt (born circa 1876 in Freshwater) and his wife Catherine (nee Moores born circa 1878 also in Freshwater). To date, the children that they had were Albert, Victoria, Ephraim, Hubert Moores, Rosalie, Hubert Joshua, and William. Any help you can give me to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

John Aker
Wolfville, Nova Scotia

Post subject: Re: Samuel and Catherine (Moores) Butt
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:54 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The 1921 census states that Catherine was born at Bay of Islands. The Curling Anglican Church registers record the marriage of Elizabeth Moors in 1871 and Amelia Moors in 1875. The Penney family of Summerside were from Freshwater so perhaps there is a relationship there. Many years ago I was told the Moors of Bay of Islands were from Blackhead, and they later moved to the Boston States.

Post subject: Re: Samuel and Catherine (Moores) Butt
 Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:30 pm 

Thank you so much for this information. I have Catherine Moores (but it may be Moors) being born circa 1878 and was married to Samuel on November 7, 1899 so it would not be the Catherine you had mentioned in your reply. The Freshwater New UC Cemetary has it as Moores and does the Family Search website. However, I will check the Moors aspect to see if that is a possibility. I very much appreciate your suggestions.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames