Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: 1700/1800 broad cove harty, Lane, Ryan, Skeffington
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:36 pm 

Hello

My ancestors are from Broad Cove and maybe Kings Cove as that where my great grandmother is buried.

Grandmother Mary Ellen Harty 1881 Broad cove
(Siblings James, Joseph and Michael)
Child of Catherine Ryan of Broad Cove born about 1845 died 1892'
who married William Harty in 1872 or 73 also of Broad Cove

I am told our ancestors arrived in the late 1700 or early 1800
When Catherine Ryan Died, AKA Kate Harty, she went to live with her grandparents the Lanes who I also believe were from Broad Cove or Kings Cove. The Skeffington family had married into the Lane family probably in the early 1800 but could have been earlier

Looking for others who are tracking down the Hartys, Ryans, Lanes, Skeffingtons from The King Cove, Broad Cove area in the 1700/1800s

Post subject: Re: 1700/1800 broad cove harty, Lane, Ryan, Skeffington
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:47 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Michael Harty married Margaret Frances Ryan on 24 January 1906 at Kings Cove.
Margaret was born at Broad Cove and baptised 2 August 1880, the daughter of
Stephen Ryan (1840-1904) and Jane Murphy (1833-1923). Stephen Ryan was the
son of John Ryan and Honora Dealey.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:39 am 

Hello Edward,

Thanks for replying and offering that information. My Ryan was a Catherine Ryan baptized in Kings Cove around 1855. She died in 1892. She Married a William or James William Harty around 1872 in Broad Coves. They had four children James, Joeseph, mary Ellen and Michael. Both parents died and the children were sent to live with their grandparents the Lanes. They all left the area before 1906. mary Ellen Harty moved to St Johns. The others left the area.

There was a John Ryan in Broad cove in the 1870 and I think he may be Catherine Ryans father. A researcher told me that Catherine mother was a Dickson or Dicks. So I am stepping back into the past looking for ancestors in the early to mid 1800s or before

I am wondering if Stephen Ryan could have been Catherine Ryans brother?

Are you a Ryan or harty?

Blessings

Blake

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Broad Cove is a small place and I suspect there was only one Ryan and one Harty family there. Lovell's Directory of 1871 lists - John Ryan, trader; Michael Harty, planter; and James Harty, fisherman. The 1894-7 Directory lists Stephen Ryan; Michael Harty, John Harty, William Harty, Thomas Harty, Peter Harty, James Harty, and John Harty (son of James).

I do not know any of the siblings of Stephen Ryan. He had a daughter Catherine so it quite
possible she was named after an aunt. The Ryans and the Hardys moved to Somerville,
Massachusetts and their death certificates should provide their parent's names. The Kings
Cove Catholic records difficult to read because the photocopies are old. The earliest
marriages and baptisms are recorded in the Bascilia registers in St. John's.

This is my cousin's family. They remember being related to a Dan Ryan, but I don't know
how he was related.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:34 pm 

Hello Edward,

Again, thanks for the information . I do think the John Ryan in the 1871 directory is the father of my great grandmother Catherine Ryan who is buried in Kings Cove. She was born 1845 and died in 1892 of cancer. She married a William Harty who may have been actually a James William Harty as that is how is name is recorded on my great uncle dealth certificate . So the James Harty could have been Catherine Ryans husband. They married in the early 1870 I think 1873.

Michael Harty I believe is James Harty father in the 1871 directory.

My grandmother Mary Ellen Harty born 1881 in Broad cove may be related to some of the Hartys in the 1894 directory. She had a brother Michael Harty, James Harty and joseph Harty. We have no Thomas, or Peters in my famly line but we do have a lot of Johns. So I am thinking these may be her siblings and cousins.

When Mary Ellen Hartys parents died, she went to live with her grandparents the lanes. Mart Ellen moved to St Johns Newoundland in her early teens to work for Geoffery Kelly. By time she was 16 she married James Kelly, Geoffry son, and they moved to Saint Johns Newsbrunwick for a few years and her first born was called John Joseph.

in 1920 mary Elllen Harty Kelly the immigrated to Somerville , Massachusetts, her children joined her in 1922. My Day said that a Ray Harty and some of his Harty cousins from Broad cove lived with my Grandmother in Somerville at that time. Her death certificate does state her parents names but what I am looking for his my great grandmother, Catherine Ryan' parents. I found her death records but they just say she was buried in King Cove and does not state who her parents were. But someone looked through the records and found a Catherine Harty baptized in King Cove in 1845 with a John Ryan and an Ellen Dickson as the parents but that as far as I have gotten. I am assuming that is the same John Ryan that was living in Broad cove in the 1871 directory. But I can't find any death records for John Ryan or birth records. Someone told me that there are two Ryan families the Ryan Merchants and the earlier Ryans and I was told we are of the earlier Ryan who probably made their way up from Trinity in the late 1700s but that is conjecture. So I don't know if John Ryan was born in County cork Ireland or if he was born in Trinity or Broad cove. I just know that at one point he was living there. Also my great grandmother Cathernine Ryan was a school teacher before she married and my Dad said that she had an Aunt maybe a great Aunt Nora Ryan who owned a tavern

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I am not sure I have much more to contribute. I went back over my old notes and I hope there is something of use to you.

Joseph Harty, born 1884, son of William Harty and Katherine Ryan,
married 25 March 1924, Vancouver, BC, to Mabel Freemantle

Many of the Trinity - Kings Cove – Bonavista men worked at Little Bay Islands mine and
later went to BC to work in the mines.

Margaret Frances Ryan married in 1906 to Michael Harty. He was the son of John Harty and
Martha Ducey, born 9 September 1878. John Harty (c1838-1915) was likely the son of Michael Harty and Mary Kehoe.

Michael Harty of Lismore (Co. Waterford) married Mary Keough of Tintern on 2 November 1830. They had several children:

James Harty, baptised 14 August 1831
Ann Harty, baptised 10 July 1836
John Harty, born 1838 ?
James Harty, baptised 18 July 1838
Mary Harty, baptised 8 March 1842
Catherine Harty, baptised 8 March 1842
Michael Harty, baptised 6 June 1846

Unfortunately there are no Catholic burial records for this era so it is difficult to know how many of the Harty children survived until adulthood.

I think is possible to sort out the Ryans but it would take time, effort, and patience. Some of the best sources of information, such as the Registry of Deeds, are not on the internet.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:23 pm 

Hello Edward,

where did you get this information?:

"Joseph Harty, born 1884, son of William Harty and Katherine Ryan,
married 25 March 1924, Vancouver, BC, to Mabel Freemantle"

That is my great Uncle. All anyone in my family knew is that he left for Vancouver and no one ever heard form him again. I didn't know that he married. That was great information, Thank you.

And I think Michael harty and Mary Kehoe are the parents of William harty who Married Katherine Ryan. On my great uncle's death certificate, who is brother Joseph Harty, had his father listed as James William Harty. And I heard him referred to that before. SO I am not totally sure but I think that is the family line.

Thanks so much for looking through your notes. I just an curious where you found that information about Joseph Harty

Are you a Harty?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:54 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I came across the marriage record of Joseph Harty while searching for Ryans and Colemans. The vital records database for British Columbia is on the internet and it is free.

Joseph Harty died at 7 November 1941, Vancouver, BC

(his death record gives the birthdate of 7 September 1883, NF)

Mabel Constance Harty died 20 January 1963, Vancouver, BC

(her death record gives the birthdate of 17 May 1883, Havant, England,
the daughter of Charles Dyer and Annie Hurst)

She was the widow of James Freemantle and Joseph Harty.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:23 am 

Hello Edward,

It.s been a while since I have been on and have not made too much progress. But you were so helpful with the information you shared and I appreciated it.
You wrote that some of the Hartys, Ryans, from Broad Cove, moved to Somerville Massachusetts, and they were my relatives, including my grandmother, Mary Ellen Harty Kelly. You wrote that these people were part of your cousins family. Is there any way you could put them in touch me? Are they into genealogy? and if not, maybe they would be open to answering a few questions about the very deep past and maybe that could set me on a path to obtaining more clues about my Ryan/ Harty connection to Broad cove, Bonnavista. I can give you my email to give to them if you think that might be possible. I know some people just don't like talking about the past. But if they might be open to it, I would really appreciate it.

Blessings

Blake

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:51 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I was sorry to hear that you have not made progress on your family history at present. I have been working on my family history for thirty years and it takes a lot of patience and determination.

My cousins have no interest in genealogy. However their aunts were keenly interested and very knowledgeable, but sadly the last aunt just passed away.

Have you checked the early Basilica registers? The earliest Broad Cove records are listed there. The Basilica archives has records that are not in the provincial archives. There are also some records at the Catholic archives in Grand Falls. The Registry of Deeds is also a good place for research.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:24 am 

Hello Edward,

Thank you fro your reply. Yes, thirty years is a long time. That is too bad they passed on. I wonder if they wrote down any family history?

I was reading up on these towns such as KIngs Cove and Broad Cove, aka Duntara, and was surprised at how tiny they are, and how the population declined so much since my Grandmother lived there. I will surely investigate the Registry of Deeds, but I imagine Kings Cove and Duntara would not have a Registry of Deeds. Would Bonavista or would St Johns hold the Registry of Deeds for those towns?

I wish that all your ancestral puzzles fall into place for you as you continue your ancestral search. For me, it seems that the more I dig, the more puzzles seem to arise. Surely when I get up there, I am hoping things will be easier to find.... at least I am hoping.

If you ever come across anyone interested in genealogy who has any knowledge of the early Ryans and Hartys of Broad Cove or King Cove please put them in touch with me.

What are the grave yards like in Broad Cove and Kings Cove? I read that my great Grandmother was buried in Kings Cove. I was thinking when I eventually get up there, I would visit the cemetery, but she was buried in 1892 and I just saw a picture of the Anglican cemetery in Kings Cove and it looked really small with the grave stones not in great shape. DO you know the condition of the RC cemetery in Kings Cove? I can't find a picture of it. I am thinking these small town cemeteries may not have made it well through the centuries.

I have been searching through the Basilica early records. So grateful for them, especially the ones that stated the Irish towns these people were from. But still there is a lot of conjecturing I fond myself doing trying to bridge pieces of information together with large gaps of wondering how they bridge or even if the do. I am trying hard not to go on too many wild goose chases, but I have to say, I am impress of the record keeping in Newfoundland.

Do you know if Bonavista was settled before St Johns?

Blessings

Blake

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:15 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The Registry of Deeds is located on Elizabeth Ave. in St. John's and it has all the surviving deeds. There are also old wills as well mixed in. A few of the early volumes were destroyed in Fire of 1892.

I suspect that the older cemteries in Kings Cove are overgrown. Rural Newfoundland is rapidly aging and there is a shortage of able-bodied people to maintain the cemeteries. Lack of money is also a factor as outmigration has caused many churches to close. I looked at some Kings Cove headstones on Stonepics and they were surrounded by bushes.

It is possible to bridge gaps by using a combination of sources - obituaries, deeds, directories, shipping records, vessel registrations, missionary reports, probate records, government correspondence, the appendix to the Journals of the House of Assembly, and oral history. The earliest wills were probated in England and there are servant indentures as well in the regional archives.

St. John's was occupied by migratory fisherman in the 1500s. Unoffically and then offically it has always been the capital of Newfoundland. Bonavista was settled later.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:55 pm 

Thanks, Edward.
I would have never guessed that the Bonavista area is sadly so neglected from the young moving out. I think this site is absolutely remarkable and so organized and detailed, with a massive amount of information and leads to other information. I am, and I am sure many others, are grateful for those who put it together and maintain it. What a labor of love! A very valuable gift for all who come across it!

Thanks for the check list, I will refer to it to keep investigating the challenge of bridging those gaps.

Blessings

Blake from Maine

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames