Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Organ Family Southwest Coast
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:45 am 

Looking for help and information re Organ family of the Southwest coast.
My information to date is:

My Grandfather: Robert Henry Organ; DOB (Little Bay): Sept.24.1887; DOD (LaPoile): Sept.16,1968

He (Robert) was born to: (Gr-grandfather) George Organ (Red Island): DOB: January 14, 1845; DOD (Little Bay): October 16,1915; and
(Gr-grandmother) Clara (Clarissa) St(r)ickland: DOB: February 25, 1857 (Lamaline); DOD (Little Bay): March 14, 1933. They were married in Lamaline on: August 24, 1871 (She was only 14!).

Gr-grandfather: George Organ was born to: (Gr-Gr-grandfather) George and (Gr-Gr-grandmother) Eleanor Organ at Red Island on January 14, 1845. He had several siblings including May Ann (1846), James (1849), Jane (18??); and possibly Victoria, Helen, David (drowned??) and Rebecca.

I am stuck on my Gr-Gr-grandfather, George. Based on when my Gr-grandfather was born (1845) and he was supposed to be the oldest of the family, I figured Gr-Gr Grandfather was probably at least 20 years old when he got married and that would make his DOB somewhere around 1822.

Michael Organ (Sarah? Mary?**) had a son George, baptized at age 12 on May 5, 1835 in Isle aux Morts. That would make him born in approximately 1823, with fits with my calculations. So there is a chance that this George Organ (son of Michael) could be my Gr-Gr-grandfather.

The next issue is trying to find out who was “Eleanor” (wife of my Gr.Gr. Grandfather)? And where did she come from?

** Some records say Mary, but it is my understanding that the correct name is Sarah.

Another thing I’ve noticed based on the headstone information for Michael and Sarah (in Norris Point), the dates are as follows:
Michael – December 24, 1803 to February 4, 1867 and
Sarah – December 19, 1811 to April 12, 1872

If those dates are correct, then Sarah would have been 24 years old when their sons George, John and James were baptized in 1835. Those records state their son George was 12 in 1835, so that would mean Sarah was only 12 when she had him??? Something definitely seems off. Or was Michael married twice and perhaps George is from a previous marriage? (The ages of the other boys baptized at that time were James aged 3 and John aged 1; a nine year age difference between George and James? Or perhaps they had other children between George and James who maybe died??

Is there a possibility of another George Organ, perhaps a brother of Michael??

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Organ Family Southwest Coast
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:41 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Generally at that time, early 1800's, the man was older, mid to late 20's and woman was younger, 16-20, when they got married, man had a house and a good job and woman was child bearing age and had a child every 2 years on average.

Post subject: Re: Organ Family Southwest Coast
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 am 

I have an Elizabeth Dollemount b. 1784 who died June 22, 1853 in Belleoram. I have read that her maiden name was Organ. :) Perhaps we're connected? My Dad has done the DNA testing with Ancestry.ca. Perhaps those results might provide some links as she was his g.g. grandmother on his father's side. Interesting.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames