Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Butts/Butt family
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 pm 

Hello. I'm looking for information about my Newfoundland family background. My grandfather, John (Jack) Butts was born in Harbour Grace in 1891. I know that his father's name was Walter, but am not sure if Walter's last name was Butts or Butt. I have been told that Walter drowned when John was about 12. I have also been told that Walter was married to Mary Skaines. I'd like to hear from anyone who might have any information.
Ed Butts
Guelph, ON
edpbutts@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: Butts/Butt family
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:55 pm 

Hello Ed,
I found some info on familysearch.org for you to consider. Dates and events are not an exact match to your query, but this is often the case with family history.
There is a provincial birth registration for John Butt...born to Walter and Agnes Butt on Feb. 15, 1892 at River Head in the district of Harbour Grace. Here is the link to that document and refer to line #18.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1790939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walter and Agnes also had a daughter Mary Agnes on Jan. 1, 1886 and Ellen Mary on Dec. 1, 1883.
There is a death record for a Walter Butt of River Head, in the district of Harbour Grace with the date of May 15, 1892. Cause of death was La Grippe. Here is the link to that record. Refer to line #8
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1790939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Butt surname is found in RC, Methodist and Anglican records. I did not see any "Butts" spelling of the name.
Hope this is of help to you.
Linda Moss

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames