Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt (revised)
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm 

I am trying to find information on Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt and need some assistance. Here is what I have so far. My research began with the death of Ella Blanche who is the daughter of Arthur and Emma. Her obituary is as follows.

PERRY (Butt), Ella Blanche - 83, Highland Street, Sydney, passed away Saturday, April 13, 2002, in Cape Breton Regional Hospital. Born in Flat Rock, Carbonear, Nfld., to the late Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt, she moved to Glace in 1944 and lived there until 1980. Since 1980, she lived in Sydney. Surviving are her husband, Tobias Perry; sons, Harold (Corrine), Cyprus; Ted (Milli), Sardis, B.C.; daughters, Helen Huntington (Lowell), Marion Bridge; Mel Swarbrick (Roger), New Glasgow; Linda Fournier (Roland), Deep River, Ont.; Carolyn Steele (Lindsay), Westville; sister, Melvena Pye, Newfoundland; brother, Henry Butt, Newfoundland; grandchildren, Lisa Huntington, Toronto; Brenda (Danny) Piensznski, Marion Bridge; Andrew Butt, Robin "Rob" Stewart, both of British Columbia; Danielle (Kerry) Mooder, Leanne (John) deJeu, both of London, Ont.; Nancy McQuaid, Montreal, Que.; great-grandchildren, Steven and Thomas Piensznski, Marion Bridge; Lilly and Jack deJeu, London, Ont. She was predeceased by her first husband, Hubert Butt; infant children, Elizabeth and Hubert.

Ella Blanche has first been married to Hubert Butt with Tobias being her second husband after Hubert had died. I then found the obituary of Henry Charles Butt who was Ella Blanche's brother which allowed me to further my search. Here his Henry's obituary.

BUTT, Henry C.- Passed peacefully away in the presence of his loving family at the Carbonear General Hospital on Thursday, October 4, 2007, Henry C. Butt of Carbonear, age 94 years. Predeceased by brothers: Martin, James, Gerald and John; sisters: Betty, Blanche and Stella; daughter-in-law: Lorna. Leaving to mourn wife: Sophie; one daughter: Marilyn Butt, Paradise; two sons: Herb (Sue) and Vince (Iris), both of Carbonear; nine grandchildren: Laura (Patrick), Jan, Karla (Mike), Kristen (Andrew), Kirk (Jolynn), Trent (Andrea), Trevor, Lynn (Trevor) and David (Melissa); eight great-grandchildren: Madison, Kai, Kieren, Logan, Mason, Brooke, Claire and Nolan; one sister: Melvena Pye, Bareneed; also a large number of other relatives and friends.

Seeing that Melvena's name was mentioned in both obituaries, it lead me to this.

Mrs. E. Melvena Pye - Passed peacefully away at the Health Science Centre, St. John's on Thursday, June 26, 2014, Mrs. E. Melvena Pye (nee Butt), World War II Veteran R.C.A.F of Bareneed, aged 88 years. Predeceased by parents Arthur and Emma Jane Butt; husband George Pye (died in 1975); brothers: Henry Butt, Gerald Butt; sisters: Stella Evely and Blanche Perry. Leaving to mourn her son Carter (Elizabeth) Pye, with whom she resided; special sister-in-law Sophie Butt, as well as her feline Companion "Cookie the Cat", and a large circle of nieces, nephews, family and friends.

So here I am at a standstill as I have found no information on
1. Hubert Butt - Ella Blanche's first husband, or
2. Arthur Butt and Ella (Kelloway) Butt.

I believe that Arthur's dad was a Henry Butt, however I am not sure if that is true or not.

If anyone has information that might allow me to proceed on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

John Aker
Wolfville, Nova Scotia

Post subject: Re: Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt (revised)
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:38 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I hope this helps:

Married 11 November 1916, Carbonear
Arthur Butt, widower, aged 37 years, of Flat Rock
to Emma Cole, widow, aged 34 years, of Carbonear

1935 Census - Flatrock

Arthur Butt Head M 59 Newfoundland
Emma Butt Wife F 53 Newfoundland
Henry C Butt Son M 22 Newfoundland
Gerald Butt Son M 18 Newfoundland
Blanche Butt Daughter F 16 Newfoundland
Stella Butt Daughter F 14 Newfoundland
Emma M Butt Daughter F 9 Newfoundland

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm 

Edward, thank you so much for this - I am very appreciative of this.

I am not sure of you can help with this but would it be correct for me to assume that Emma's last name was Cole (she had been married to a Cole but is now a widow)) but her maiden name was still Kelloway. As you can see, I am somewhat of a novice in my genealogical searches. May I ask where I might find this information on the web so as to further my research.

Once again, thank you.

John

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 pm 

Hi Again The 1935 census is on this site, from it I found Arthur and Emma with their ages given as 59 and 54 respectively. That is Arthur was born c1876 and Emma c1882. I've found ages to be sometimes off by a year or two.

I found that Reuben Arthur was born in Flatrock on Oct 19 1877, to Richard and Patience Butt and baptized Sept 11 1878.

Emma Jane was born in Perrys Cove on Feb 15 1882 to John and Julia A Kelloway and baptized Apr 15 1883.

Both records are in the Carbonear Methodist Baptisms, also on this site.

Hope this helps. Eileen

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

There a numerous free websites with an abundance of information, but the one I use the
most is: http://www.familysearch.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Married at Lynn, Massachusetts, 25 May 1901, by Rev. Frank C. Haddock
Isaac Cole, aged 27 years, moulder, son of John Cole & Julia Penney
to Emma Kelloway, aged 22 years, daughter of John Kelloway & Julia Butt

John KELLAWAY of Perry's Cove married Julia A. BUTT on 14 Dec 1865 in Blackhead.

JOHN KELLOWAY was born 1774 in Ploughill, Cornwall, England, and died December 14,
1862 in Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland. He married ELIZABETH LLOYD Abt. 1800 in
Ploughill, Cornwall, England. She was born 1779 in Ploughill, Cornwall, England, and died
January 12, 1876 in Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland.

Children of JOHN KELLOWAY and ELIZABETH LLOYD are:
i. JOHN JR. KELLOWAY, b. 1807, Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland; d. 1873.
ii. SUSANNA KELLOWAY, b. October 18, 1808, Perry's Cove, CB; d. 1905.
iii. ROBERT KELLOWAY, b. September 20, 1812, Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland;
d. December 06, 1881, Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland.
iv. ELIZABETH KELLOWAY, b. June 19, 1815, Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland.
v. MICHAEL KELLOWAY, b. July 23, 1818, Perry's Cove, CB; d. Bef. 1877.
vi. EDWARD KELLOWAY, b. July 25, 1821.
vii. JOSEPH KELLOWAY, b. March 04, 1825, Perry's Cove, CB, Newfoundland; d. 1903.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:56 pm 

Hi Edward

Is it just me or are they having problems with that site? It seems I can no longer search the Newfoundland records. Something about technical difficulties and try again in a few minutes.
It's been like it for at least several days. I spent some time today browsing the images because the search didn't work, but didn't think to check anywhere but Newfoundland. Great job. By chance have you come across a Robert E Kelloway born abt 1850 or earlier? He was the father of my great grandfather(b 1875). Thanks Eileen

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 pm 

Thank you both for assisting me in my attempt to trace the roots of the Butt and Kelloway families. It is greatly appreciated. It is very interesting to find out more about the heritages of each. If you find anything else, please let me know.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 am 

For anyone interested in the John Kelloway decendents, here is a website I found with considerable information. This should allow me to move forward with that family.

http://www.commodon.com/kelloway/descendants.htm

Now to find out more information on the Butt lineage.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 am 

Hi John
Just a word of caution, while the Kelloway site is impressive, it does not include the descendants of all the children of John Sr and Elizabeth. Those of John Jr and Edward ( my ancestors) are not there and both had a son named John. There were also two other grandchildren named John, one of Robert and one of Joseph. I believe that John Wm (of John Jr) married Julia A Butt and was therefore Emma's father, but you should check everything you can before making a conclusion. If I can be of further help please let me know. Good L Luck. Eileen

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:38 pm 

Thank you Eileen for this information. At first I was thinking that John Jr. was the father of Emma but then quickly realized that he had died in 1873 and could not be her father as Emma was born in 1882. I have been at the computer for quite a while since then trying to find the connections of the Kelloway lineage to Emma's family. My quest continues and, in some cases, has sent my head spinning. LOL. Thanks again and I will follow your advice and your possible solution to my problem.

John

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:45 am 

Hi Eileen - I want to thank you again for the information as it helped me trace part of the family tree. John William was in fact married to Julia Ann which led me to John Kelloway Jr. and then to John Kelloway Sr. As well, knowing that there was a relationship with the Butt side of the family with Martin and Maria Butt, I was also able to trace that as Arthur Butt was in fact, Reuben Arthur (sometimes called Arthur Reuben) the son of Richard Butt who is the son of Martin and Maria. It is like putting a giant puzzle together but I am enjoying it. However, I am still struggling with finding a relationship with Hubert Butt who was married to Ella Blanche Butt. I have discovered a Hubert Joshua Butt (son of Samuel and Catherine Butt) as a possibility but not sure if that is correct or not. Do you have any ideas as to whether that is correct or not or where I might look to find that pathway. I was also thinking that it might be best to make another post thinking that might help me.

John

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:48 am 

Hi John

While I have the Butt name on both sides of my family, I don't have much information beyond that. I know that one of my 3X great grandparents were Edward and Mary Butt Kelloway who married May 25 1844, she was recorded as being from Broad Cove. She was possibly the daughter of Joseph and Jane Butt of Broad Cove, born Aug 14, 1821. I don't have a dod for either Edward or Mary.

On my mom,s side, my GG grand father was Terrence Butt of Perry's Cove. He married into the White family of Salmon Cove and settled there. Salmon Cove cemetery records helped with the dates plus my dad's father, also from Salmon Cove, knew that his aunt had married Terrence's son John Charles. From there I found that Terrence's parents were probably John and Eliza? Elizabeth(King) Butt of Perry's Cove and was born July 3 1846. John was likely the son of Henry and Sarah Butt also of Perry's Cove. Unfortunately I don't know how or if these people are connected to those you are researching. They probably all trace back to Carbonear/Crockers Cove but there are many gaps in the records. I know they were among the earliest names in the area. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

Eileen

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:30 am 

Thank you very much Eileen - I will see if this helps and wish you all the best in your search for your genealogical heritage. I appreciate all you have done for me and am eternally grateful.
John

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames