Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Re: Hubert and Emma (Kelloway) Butt
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:47 pm 

Hi John

My family tree has two Kelloway branches, both from Perrys Cove on the north shore of Conception Bay. I have been researching them for some time and have lots of info. While the names are not familiar I'd be happy to look thru my notes for you. Do you have any dates or places for them? My GG grandmother was Adeline Kelloway Slade, she named a daughter Emma,but she was a Slade. I'll look to see if Adeline's brother may have had a child Emma.
I'll post again if I find anything, meanwhile try to get some dates and I'll do some more searching. Eileen

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am 

Hi Eileen

What I know is that Arthur was born approximately 1886 in Flat Rock, Newfoundland and was married to Emma Kelloway in what I suspect was the early 1900's. I base that on the fact that one of their children Henry was born in 1913. Arthur and Emma had other children which include Gerald, Ella Blanche, Stella, Arthur, Emma Melvena, Martin, James, and Betty. Those names I learned from Henry's obituary when he died in 2007. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

John

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:11 pm 

Hi John After some searching, i was unable to find an Emma Kelloway of the right age.
My grandmother's brother James Kelloway had a daughter Emma, but she would be too young to be the Emma you are looking for. I also looked through the family search site with no luck. I did find some of the births for Arthur and Emma but no marriage. You first mentioned Hubert and Emma, are they the same couple? Eileen

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:51 pm 

Oh my goodness. I just realized that I have made a mistake on the subject line of my post. It should read Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt. By mistake I used the name of Ella Blanche Butt's husband in the subject line and not her father. I sincerely apologize for any efforts that you have made to help me with misinformation. I could blame it on being a senior citizen but that is no excuse. Here is Ella Blanche's obituary upon which I based my research.

PERRY (Butt), Ella Blanche - 83, Highland Street, Sydney, passed away Saturday, April 13, 2002, in Cape Breton Regional Hospital. Born in Flat Rock, Carbonear, Nfld., to the late Arthur and Emma (Kelloway) Butt, she moved to Glace Bay in 1944 and lived there until 1980. Since 1980, she lived in Sydney. Surviving are her husband, Tobias Perry; sons, Harold (Corrine), Cyprus; Ted (Milli), Sardis, B.C.; daughters, Helen Huntington (Lowell), Marion Bridge; Mel Swarbrick (Roger), New Glasgow; Linda Fournier (Roland), Deep River, Ont.; Carolyn Steele (Lindsay), Westville; sister, Melvena Pye, Newfoundland; brother, Henry Butt, Newfoundland; grandchildren, Lisa Huntington, Toronto; Brenda (Danny) Piensznski, Marion Bridge; Andrew Butt, Robin "Rob" Stewart, both of British Columbia; Danielle (Kerry) Mooder, Leanne (John) deJeu, both of London, Ont.; Nancy McQuaid, Montreal, Que.; great-grandchildren, Steven and Thomas Piensznski, Marion Bridge; Lilly and Jack deJeu, London, Ont. She!
was predeceased by her first husband, Hubert Butt; infant children, Elizabeth and Hubert. Our mother will be fondly remembered by her friends and neighbours for her friendliness and generosity of spirit. Visitation will be held 1-3 p.m. Monday, followed by funeral service, both in Sydney Memorial Chapel, Rev. Lewis Crewe and Capt. Wanda Vincent officiating. Family flowers only.

From this I found the obituary of Henry Butt found out more information.

BUTT, Henry C.- Passed peacefully away in the presence of his loving family at the Carbonear General Hospital on Thursday, October 4, 2007, Henry C. Butt of Carbonear, age 94 years. Predeceased by brothers: Martin, James, Gerald and John; sisters: Betty, Blanche and Stella; daughter-in-law: Lorna. Leaving to mourn wife: Sophie; one daughter: Marilyn Butt, Paradise; two sons: Herb (Sue) and Vince (Iris), both of Carbonear; nine grandchildren: Laura (Patrick), Jan, Karla (Mike), Kristen (Andrew), Kirk (Jolynn), Trent (Andrea), Trevor, Lynn (Trevor) and David (Melissa); eight great-grandchildren: Madison, Kai, Kieren, Logan, Mason, Brooke, Claire and Nolan; one sister: Melvena Pye, Bareneed; also a large number of other relatives and friends.

From that I discovered the births and baptisms of some of the children as well as Arthur's dad's name, that being Henry.

I must apologize again for my mistake and will try and continue my research, this time hopefully using correct information. Thank you so much for what you have tried to do to help. It is greatly appreciated. Now I have to see how I can change the subject line. Oh the trials and tribulations of the aging process.

John

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames