Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Morgan Family
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 pm 

I have been researching the Morgan family of Newfoundland for the past 25 years. Specifically my line is Hezekiah Morgan (1848) in the Conception Bay South area (Manuels). Research has shown that Hezekiah had three brothers, Joseph, John and James. I am 95% sure that their father was also James c1815 from England. Anybody who has searched common names such as Joseph, John, James and other Morgan's, will agree, it is a major challenge to sort out individual families and from which community they originated. My Morgan database for Newfoundland is extensive and I am willing to share any info that I have. Also would like to link my Morgan family of Manuels to other Morgan's of Newfoundland.

Post subject: Re: Morgan Family
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 pm 

Hi Len: I have Morgan connections in NL but they are from the area of Lushes Bight. My great-grandmother was Mary Jane Morgan and she was one of eight children in the family. Her father, William Morgan's death was written about in the Twillingate Sun and the Evening Telegram (date of June 18,1888).

Mary Jane moved to Cape Breton with her husband Samuel Chappell in 1898-1900.

If you have more information on the Morgan family I would love to chat.

Thank you,

Ann Sheree

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:03 pm 

Hi Ann. I have some info on the Morgan's around the island including Lushes Bight in trying to connect to my branch of the Morgan's of Newfoundland. There are many William Morgan's as you probably have found.. My great grandmother was also Mary Jane Morgan (nee Squires) of Broad Cove, St. Philips. If I can help please let m know.
Regards
Len

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 am 

Hi Len:

My great-grandmother shows her parents listed as William Henry Morgan and Elizabeth Roberts (with a question mark beside it).

From what I can tell there were at least nine children born to the marriage and it appears at the time of his death the second born, was listed as the eldest. The reason I can place James as the oldest has to do with the math in the newspaper account of his father's death and his near death.

Originally I have the following showing as their children:

John Sep 4, 1870 (I believe he may have died in infancy)
James May 13, 1872
Mary Jane Nov 14, 1873
Lucinda Apr 12, 1875
John Aug 28, 1876 (I found information on his marriage)
Joseph Apr 26, 1878
Ellen Nov 30, 1879
William Henry Jul 18, 1881
Bessie Ann Sep 1, 1885

I may have come across what I thought was another son, Robert Morgan, as I had him in the profile but his birth dates don't fit as the date I have of Oct 28, 1878 would have been highly unlike as it is only six months after Joseph in the same year.

So far I can't seem to find anything on the marriage between Elizabeth and William....

There are still Morgan's living in the area of Lushes Bight and Robert's Arm as of today.

Any information you have would be a great help :-)

Thank you,

Ann Sheree

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 am 

I will look through my database today and see if I have anything on this family. I will get back to you.
Len

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:18 pm 

Ann. I found a marriage for William Henry and Elizabeth Roberts 29 Dec 1883 at Lushes Bight Green Bay. Gives William'a age as 42 which would make his birth ~1841 and Elizabeth as age 37. This was on Family Search. Found all the children you listed with 2 John's which could mean that John 1870 died. Also there is a Robert to William and Elizabeth of Lushes Bight b 28 Oct 1883. I have nothing on parents of either William or Elizabeth in my database. Tried to insert the snippet I took of the marriage but can't seem to make it happen. I fyou need it I'll send via e-mail attachment.
Len

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 am 

Hi Len:

In looking through a notebook, from early in my research, I do have Robert's birth as being Oct 28, 1883. So I must have transcribed it to the electronic version incorrectly.

I have sent you an e-mail in order for you to provide the marriage link.

In each of the records I have found, of the children's birth the parents are listed as married. Would it be unusual for them to have married after the birth of 9 children and at the ages of 46 and 37? (which is exactly the birthdate I found for Elizabeth).

Thanks again for the insights you have found :-)

Ann Sheree

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:48 am 

I agree Ann. I will send you the link from my e-mail today.
Regards
Len

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 am 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK9Y-MNCD
Above is the link.
Let me know if it works for you.
I just entered William Morgan first entry and below entered spouse as Elizabeth Roberts. It came up as first listed item.
Regards
Len

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 pm 

Hi Len:

It worked! I did find the listing on this site as well for the their marriage but it doesn't contain the original document (which I can't see).

Thanks so much for helping to point me in the right direction.

I did read on the listing for their marriage that a number of couples on the listing had been previously married by a lay person in their church community and would often marry in a civil ceremony at a later date. Maybe that happened in their situation and that would explain why their children are listed as being a product of the marriage :-)

The hunt is still on for William's parents....so I will keep digging.

Thank you for your help!

Ann Sheree

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:13 pm 

Hi Ann.
Went through my database of Morgan's and have nothing else on that family. Dug a bit on Ancestry and Family Search as well with no further information.
Good luck with your searching.
Len

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 pm 

Thank you Len and good luck with finding more about other Morgans :-)

Ann Sheree

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames