Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: GUSHUE, Timothy & Catherine (PHELAN/WHELAN) at Indian Arm, B
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:24 pm 

GUSHUE, Timothy & Catherine (PHELAN/WHELAN) at Indian Arm, Bonavista Bay & Cat's Cove/Conception Harbour, Conception Bay

Hello members & fellow searchers, I have been searching now for about 8 years and trying to find information & connect with others regarding my maternal GrGrandmother, Bridget (GUSHUE) Whelan, born/baptized abt. 1860 at Saints Peter & Paul RC Parish, Harbour Main, Conception Bay, Nfld to - TIMOTHY & CATHERINE (PHELAN/WHELAN) GUSHUE.

They would be my maternal 2xGrGrandparents (at least I truly do think so). From using the 1921 Census for Colliers, Conception Bay in the Harbour Main District, my GrGrandparents, David & Bridget (GUSHUE) Whelan are listed as - David b. 1864 from Colliers and Bridget, b. 1860, from Kitchuses (which is in our time an area of Conception Harbour [aka, Cat's Cove])..then from further searching I found online baptism details for a BRIDGET b. 1860, to parents - TIMOTHY & CATHERINE (Phelan, as spelled) GUSHUE...also, two other baptisms for this couple who I believe are siblings to my GrGrandmother..they are - Charles Joseph, b. abt. 1859 and Mary Ann, b. abt. 1862.

Over time, I was finding the GUSHUE name in many areas of the province and with particular similar names I have been searching, in the Bonavista Bay area.

That was as far as I got for many years until this summer when I was able to get to the Archives at The Rooms in St. John's. I found so much info there but I just wasn't sure if/how connected to my search, but I had a really good "gut" feeling it did.

I found marriage details for the following couple, TIMOTHY & CATHERINE (Phelan/Whelan), who I believe to be my maternal 2xGrGrandparents:

Groom: TIMOTHY GUSHUE (Cat's Cove, Conc. Bay*) - Cat's Cove is an old place name for Conception Harbour in Conception Bay; Bride: CATHERINE WHELAN (Indian Arm, Bon. Bay); Marriage Place: Indian Arm, Bonavista Bay; Marriage Date: October 11th, 1858; Witnesses: Patrick Whelan & Honora Whelan (I believe related to Catherine, not sure how??); Clergy: Rev. J. B. Brown.

I have other GUSHUE names within the Bonavista Bay area that I believe are related/connected to this family as well. If a member could help &/or have these people in your family tree and would connect with me as I hope to find the parents of both TIMOTHY & CATHERINE (Phelan/Whelan) GUSHUE.

Kindest regards..Nora

Post subject: Re: GUSHUE, Timothy & Catherine (PHELAN/WHELAN) at Indian Ar
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm 

I am looking for information on Gushue Family in Bonavista Bay. My Great Grandfather was Patrick and he had a son Charles born July 19th 1900
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: GUSHUE, Timothy & Catherine (PHELAN/WHELAN) at Indian Ar
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:44 pm 

Good Morning Nora!
My name is Karen Hickey. My grandmother was Mary( Gushue) Daughter of William Gushue & Bridget(Connors) . My Great grandfather was from Conception Harbour as well . Wondering if there's any connections? My grandmother married John Hickey.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames