Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Donald Chatman born 1921, Bunyon's Cove
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:10 pm 

Donald Chatman b 1921, possibly Bunyon's Cove, was the son of William Chatman and Jenny Hepburn Beatt.
Although we have been able to keep track of him over the years, through manifests, we can't find his parents, after 1936.

Jenny Hepburn Beatt , b 1896, Dundee, Scotland arrived in Halifax from Liverpool on 28 Nov 1919 going to Bona Vista to be married. No birth certificate has been found for her, but her father Charles Beatt left Scotland for South Africa in 1895!
Jenny appears to have had a daughter, Margaret b abt 1928, but we have no idea where she was born.
If anyone can help us work out where to look for the parents post 1936, or suggest how we can find bmd records, we will be over the moon.
Thanks
Thelma

Post subject: Re: Donald Chatman born 1921, Bunyon's Cove
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:09 am 

Hi, Thelma,
I have some info on Wm. Chatman and his ancestors as well as a little on his descendents. I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you or not. My cousin and I have been doing some research on the Chatman family (among others) and have compile a data base.

Wm. was born at Cannings Cove in 1894 but moved with his parents to Bunyans Cove some time around 1900. He married Jennie Hepburn Beatt in Dec., 1919, at Bunyans Cove. She was from Dundee, Scotland (as you stated). Her parents names were Charles Beatt and Eliz. Spink. Their son Donald was born at Bunyans Cove on Sept. 1, 1920.They must have moved from Bunyans Cove before 1921 because they are not recorded in the 1921 census. However, their daughter, Margaret Helen Muriell, was born at Curzon Village, Bonne Bay, (google that name) on Mar 10, 1932. Thus, they must have been living in that area at that time. We have no other info on Jennie after that. As far as we can determine, Wm. died in London, England, in May of 1967.
My cousin found out that Margaret married a Mathius Jordan, in Feb. 1951, but I don't know any more details than that.
I do have more info on Donald's family(children, etc) as well as his parents, grandparents, etc. if you are interested.

Lawrence

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames