Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Cawl (Caul?)/ McGrath
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:45 am 

I am planning a trip to Newfoundland in August with my Father who is approaching his 80th birthday. We are looking for information on the families of his Grandparents, William Joseph Cawl,(Caul?) born Feb 1875 and Anne Agatha McGrath, born August 14, 1880. According to passed down family history both are from the Carbonear area and he was a Grand Banks fisherman before emigrating to the U.S. and becoming a New York harbor Tugboat Captain. In 1914 he went to the Panama Canal as a Tugboat Captain. He died in 1949 and is buried at the American Cemetery in Panama (formerly U.S. Panama Canal Zone.) Anne died in March 1932 and is buried in Malden, Mass. From the info I have, parents of William were Richard Caul and Ellen Marshall and parents of Anne were William Joseph McGrath and Johanna Knox. I have not had much look searching records although I have come across a William Joseph McGrath born in Carbonear but apparently later settled in Montreal. Wife and children names do not match up but I am wondering if this might be a second wife and children. I noticed another post on here concerning the surname Knox that listed a Johanna Knox but again, names of husband and children do not match up. Thank you to anyone who may have information that can help!

Post subject: Re: Cawl (Caul?)/ McGrath
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:47 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The surnames Knox and Caul no longer exist in Carbonear and McGrath is rare. I suspect
that Johanna Knox was a grandaughter of Michael Knox and Mary Gaul who were married
at Harbour Grace on 26 May 1817.

In St. Patrick's Cemetery, Carbonear are four McGrath headstones, two Knox headstones,
and one Caul headstone:

William McGrath, died 19 January 1916, aged 72 years
wife Johanna, died 17 January 1885, aged 39 years

Adjoining grave:
Joseph McGrath, died 27 October 1906, aged 50 years, 6 months
Mary McGrath, died 29 May 1935 ( ? aged 76 years)

Richard Caul, died 9 May 1873, aged 39 years
Ellen Caul, died 27 August 1919, aged 83 years
erected by their son William J. Caul

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:27 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

According to the Carbonear Roman Catholic records.....

William Caul, son of Richard and Ellen Caul, was born on February 8, 1873 at Carbonear, and baptised on February 9, 1873, by Reverend J. Cummins.

Ann McGrath, daughter of William and Johanna McGrath, was born on August 15, 1881 at Carbonear, and baptised on August 16, 1881, by Reverend R. Walsh.

William Caul of Carbonear, and Ann McGrath of Carbonear, were married on February 17, 1909 at Carbonear, by Reverend F.D. McCarthy, witnesses were John Cullen, and Agnes McGrath.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 pm 

Thank you very much for both of these replies. This information is very helpful.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 pm 

Any advice on where I could find records for Richard Caul and Ellen Marshall Caul's birth dates and locations and same information for William McGrath and Johanna Knox McGrath, would be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:50 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The Roman Catholic records for Carbonear begin in 1849. Prior to that date the parish was served by priests from nearby Harbour Grace. The records for that parish begin in 1806. It was illegal to be Catholic until 1784 and it wasn't until 1814 that Catholics could have cemeteries. In the early years of the church, priests from St. John's sometimes helped out the parish in Harbour Grace. Some Conception Bay marriages and baptisms can be found in the Basilica records.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

On November 20, 1856, at Carbonear RC, Richard Caul and Ellen Marshall were married by Reverend J. Dalton, witnesses were Lawrence Meaney and Mary Tobin.

*According to information contained in a death record naming Ellen Caul, she was born at Carbonear circa 1836, and she died at Carbonear at the age of 79 years in August 1915.

On November 29, 1873, at Carbonear RC, William McGrath and Johanna Knox were married by Reverend J. Cummings, witnesses were Patrick Colford and Ellen King.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 pm 

Thank you very much for this information.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames