Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Thistle
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm 

My great grandfather was named William Thistle. He was born in 1891 in Newfoundland and moved to Chelsea Massachusetts as a child. He lived with his mother, Clara Allen but I find no evidence of his father James Thistle.
If anybody could help me find a connection to the Thistles in Newfoundland it would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Thistle
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:01 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

James Thistle, of St. John's, married Clara Allen, daughter of Edward Allen and Jane Miller, of Topsail, on January 31, 1884, in the Wesleyan Church, George Street, St. John's. The witnesses to the marriage are listed as Thomas Williams and Fanny Gibbs.

Post subject: Re: Thistle
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm 

Thank you for the reply. I did find the marriage record on this website and that's about all I have for a connection to Newfoundland. The 1900 U.S. census has William Thistle living with his aunt, Susan (Allen) Soper. He was 9 years old. I have a death certificate for his mother Clara Allen from 1899. She was 35 years old and the form lists her as a widow. I speculate that they were displaced by the St. John's fire. James Thistle appears to have been a seaman but I find no record of his death but it had to have been between 1891 and 1899. As far as his birth goes... I find several James Thistle from Mulleys Cove born between 1850 and 1870 but I have no way of determining If one of them is the James Thistle married at the George St Church.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames