Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Barker, Sexton and Kearsey
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:32 am 

I have been making very slow progress researching Barker, Sexton and Kearsey. The Sexton and Kearsey families are those from Conche, Fichel Island and Goose cove areas of the Great Northern Pennisula. The Barker family is from Open Hall, Bonavista. Is anyone else working on those surnames? And interested in collaborating? thanks, Brian

Post subject: Re: Barker, Sexton and Kearsey
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:29 am 

my grandmother was a Margaret Sexton born In Conch/Goose Cove and her sister Mary Ann married a Robert Barker from Open Hall

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm 

Thanks for responding! I am Alice Barker's grandson. My father was Ted McDonald. Robert and Mary Ann were my great grandparents I have made some progress on the Barker's at Open Hall, but have very little on Sexton. I have Mary Ann's parents (your great grandparents) as Patrick Sexton b. 1833 d. 1922 and Mary Kearsey b. 1845 d. 1928.

I don't have anything beyond them, nor do I have their siblings. Do you have info on Patrick and Mary's parents? If you like, you can email me at brianmc40@hotmail.com , thanks Brian

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:56 am 

Brian, as you get further back the Barker line the messier it gets. My g'grandmother was Sarah Jane Barker dau of William and Mary Ann Barker who married John O'Driscoll and moved to Deer Lake. Your Alice died in Deer Lake 1972? Her father Robert was my Williams brother. If you'd like, e-mail me. Steffie79@hotmail.com. My notes are scattered but I can help as much as I can.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 am 

Hi my paternal grandfather was a sexton from st.juliens on the northern peninsula, I have very little info on his family history, however I do know that my father and uncles have mentioned we are related to barkers, although they don't know what the connection is, they do know they heard my grandfather who was leonard sexton mention he had barker relatives.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:31 am 

BMcDo wrote:
Thanks for responding! I am Alice Barker's grandson. My father was Ted McDonald. Robert and Mary Ann were my great grandparents I have made some progress on the Barker's at Open Hall, but have very little on Sexton. I have Mary Ann's parents (your great grandparents) as Patrick Sexton b. 1833 d. 1922 and Mary Kearsey b. 1845 d. 1928.

I don't have anything beyond them, nor do I have their siblings. Do you have info on Patrick and Mary's parents? If you like, you can email me at brianmc40@hotmail.com , thanks Brian

hi again

below is 1921 census goose cove, family 40 is Patrick sexton wife mary listing sons Richard, john also my great grandfather mike would be seen is grandiose census 1921

so if this is correct then Patrick and mary had at least 5 children sons---john, Richard, and mike and daughters Margaret and mary ann? ( I find it interesting that my dad has a brother john, and sisters Margaret and mary?)

also my granddad leonard sexton whos dad was mike said his great grandfather was a Richard sexton who came ton nl from Ireland around early 1800s...I was checking a couple of Ireland ancestry sites and did find a Richard sexton of county cork baptized in 1802...whos fathers name is listed as pat...mother Belinda...lots of sextons in Ireland and I have no idea how t confirm I just thought with the year and fathers name pat(Patrick?) its a possibility

http://ngb.chebucto.org/C1921/21-goose-cv-stb.shtml

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames