Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Request for information on John Barrett b: 1680 d: 1760
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:48 am 

My sister and I have information that one of our father's relatives, John Barrett, was born in 1680 in Poole, Dorset, England and died in 1760 in Bread and Cheese Cove, Newfoundland. My sister lives in California and I live in Sheridan, Wyoming and we plan on visiting Newfoundland sometime around Oct 18-20, 2009.

Neither one of us is very familiar with genealogical searches, but we are interested in finding out what we can about possible relatives in the area, any grave sites, or just about any other information.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Barrett

Post subject: Re: Request for information on John Barrett b: 1680 d: 1760
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Good evening:

If you have not already done so, it would be a great idea to peruse this Newfoundland Grand Banks site in its entirety. There is a considerable quantity of information contained here.

There is another online site worth perusing - google "NL Genweb".

There is a site with the name "Stonepics" that contains plenty of information on cemeteries/headstone markers in most of the cities, towns and villages in NL. The Stonepics page is linked to this Newfoundland Grand Banks site, or you can simply google "stonepics".

Another idea - simply google the words "barrett" and "newfoundland", or "barrett", "poole", "newfoundland". You will be amazed at the quantity of information at your disposal.

Other suggestions:

Visit "The Rooms Provincial Archives" at St. John's. You could easily spend several days there if you have the propensity to scour through historical records, i.e. birth, baptismal, marriage, death, burial records, etc. Google "Provincial Archives, The Rooms, St. John's" to access online information about this center.

Visit the "Maritime History Archive" at Memorial University, St. John's. Again, there is an abundance of historical records there. Google "Maritime History Archive, Memorial University" to learn about this history center.

There are many other sources of information, but the above recommendations is a good start.

My understanding is Bread and Cheese Cove is located in Conception Bay, near the present day towns of Bay Roberts and Spaniards Bay. I have Barretts' from Poole and Conception Bay that show up in my family tree.

Many of the early settlers in NL came from the southwest of England, particularly the area around Poole, Dorset.

I trust your trip to NL will be an enjoyable one !

Milt

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I should have mentioned to you also, I have a copy of the birth/baptismal records for the late 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's for Poole, Dorset. I have these papers at my residence in NL. I am out of the province until March/April, 2010.

When I return to NL, I will check to see if the name John Barrett, born circa 1680, shows up in those documents.

Milt

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 pm 

Bill,
I am one of your distance cousins. I am the 9th Generation of the John Barrett family. Bread and Cheese Cove is now known as Bishop's Cove, on the western shore of Conception Bay. I have some of the Barrett family tree, if you are interested in seeing, either via here or when you come to Nfld. I presently live in Conceptin Bay South, just outside St. John's.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 pm 

John Barrett is my 7th great grandfather. My great-great grandmother was Emily Barrett, she was born 1842 in Bishops' Cove, Conception Bay. Her father was Jacob Barrett born 1805 in Bishop's Cove, his father was Joseph Barrett born abt 1780 in Bishops' Cove, and his father was Abraham Barrett born 1756 in Bishops' Cove, his father was John Barrett born 1720 in Poole, Dorset, England and his father was your John Barrett , 1670-1760. YOu might like to take a drive out to the Bishops' Cove Area. It is only a short distance from St. John's.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 am 

I have been researching my family tree for many years and Barrett is just one family in that tree. All information is on my site at rejanes.tribalpages.com
There are quite a number of Barrett family members on the site, but the family is large so new branches of the family pop up every now and then. Anyone who can add info may contact me through the site.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:12 pm 

Wanda, I have all the people you have mentioned except I have the son John being born in bread and Cheese (Bishop's Cove) in 1720 not in Dorset. The elder John arrived in Nfld around 1700 I think. Also for Joseph Barrett. I have 1776 not 1780 as birth date. Not sure which is correct. I have Emily marrying a Robert Smith and they have a child Patience who marries Mosdes Dodge. Thas where I end that branch. How does it go down to you?
Joseph is our common ancestor. Wheras you go throught Joseph's son Jacob, my family goes through Jacob's younger brother, Moses, born in 1820.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:39 pm 

Hi Robin

I come down from Patience's brother Ebenezer. He married Siscely Spurrell. My grandfather was Samuel James Smith.

So I take it you come down from Moses and Mary Smith. Is this correct? I have five children for Moses and Mary: Joseph Silas; Moses; Archibauld; James John; and, Rosanna. Which one do you come down from? By the way, do you know when and where Moses and Mary died?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 pm 

Hi Wanda,
I also have a Jacob Barrett as a child of Moses and Mary, born 1851 died 1902, in addition to the five children you already have. My family comes down through Archibald. He had a son Abram who is my grandfather. Moses died May 21, 1891 in Bay Roberts. Mary died November 20, 1887 also in Bay Roberts. Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 pm 

Do any of you have any information on or conections to Jacob Barrett b. 04 Jun 1828 in Careless Harbour (now Kerley's Harbour), Trinity Bay? He was married to Sarah Goodyear b. 04 Jul 1824, Southside, Bryant's Cove, Conception Bay. My line desends from thier daughter Olivia b. 12 Oct 1852.
Would love any information on Jacobs parents of siblings...

Cheers Nicole

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 pm 

Nicole,
I do not have your Jacob Barrett in my tree. If from Trinity Bay, they tended to be Methodist, while my family come from Conception Bay which are Anglican. Have not found the link between the two families yet, if there is one.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames