Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Winifred Byrne born 1850's
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:23 am 

Can anyone help with this lady, she stated on one census that she was born in Brigus, but unconfirmed. She married a Michael O'Toole and their first child was my grandmother born Feb 1886. Can anyone help with the marriage or births of Winifred and Michael please. Their children were baptised in St Patricks RC, and they lived in the Southside I believe.

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Winifred Byrne born 1850's
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am 

Hello!
We have communicated before (last year) as I have been searching for a connection of Michael Toole to my Toole family. I have some likely possibilities with respect to Michael but the evidence is too weak to declare anything at this point. Will keep you informed.

I can tell you that Michael and Winifred were in the older age bracket when married. One or both of them may have been married before. I also found the same info indicating that Winifred was from Brigus. If the death record is correct, Winifred died in 1924 at the age of 78. This would put her birth date at about 1846. This means she was 48 when her last child Bridget was born in 1894. Years ago, many Newfoundland women had children in their 40's and even 50's (unlike today).

Michael died before 1913 as Winifred is listed as a widow in the 1913 McAlpine's Directory. I have not found a death record for him or a marriage record for Michael and Winifred although it is likely that they were married in the 1884 to 1886 bracket.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am 

Just thought I would also add that Winifred died July 20-22 1924 on Cook Street (died of apoplexy) so I know I have the right person. After her husband Michael died, she most likely lived with Bridget and Allan Parsons.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:44 pm 

Michael O'Toole died Oct 18, 1912 on the South Side, St. John's. He died of cancer of the stomach and his age at death was 55 according to the death record. He was buried at Mount Carmel Cemetery but unfortunately his place of birth is not given.

The reason he was not found was because of a transcription error. His first name was listed as "Rachael". I checked the original on familysearch.org and it is indeed Michael.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/death-re ... -sjc.shtml

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :144853701

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:33 pm 

I sent an email to Don Tate concerning the error on the death record and just noticed it has been changed from "Rachael" to "Michael". Thanks Don!!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm 

Hi Greg
Sorry for an extremely late reply!!. Very grateful for all the information so far, all fits in with what I know. Although Winifred Mary Byrne and Michael O'Toole lived in Newfoundland, I know there was an Irish link - my mother could do Irish dancing, and there seemed to be an Irish theme somehow. But this doesn't mean they were born there of course. Bridget Parsons nee O'Toole was Winifred and Michaels youngest daughter, my Auntie Bridie. and they definitely had a store in Cook Street.

Thank you again for all the help

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames