Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Bay Roberts Ancestral Surnames
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 pm 

The surnames that are currently on my research list are Parsons, Badcock, Bradbury, Crane, Carivan/Carraway, French, Norman and Russell for my direct ancestry. Secondary surnames of interest are Kearley, Keefe and Mosdell, due to being the surnames of first or second spouses. For my research, these surnames are concentrated in the Bay Roberts area.

Post subject: Re: Bay Roberts Ancestral Surnames
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 pm 

My grandmother name wa Louisa Badcock. Her maiden name was Norman.
My name is Fred Davis, middle name is Norman.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 am 

I have Russell, Norman and French families in my family tree. All from Bay Roberts and Conception Bay area. :) Glenda

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 pm 

Dear Fred,

The surname of Badcock enters my family tree through Amelia Badcock, who is my one of my great-grandmothers. She is currently surrounded by a mystery. I have not been able to confirm who her parents are, but I have some leads.

When my grandfather, Ralph Parsons, and his half-brother, Isaac Kearley, married, they listed her name as Amelia Crane. When Amelia married Samuel Kearley in 1877, her surname was listed as Badcock. This was her first marriage.

I have not been able to locate her birth, but I have located possible parents and a marriage for them. It is a marriage between George Crane and Mary Badcock, which took place in Bay Roberts on 13 May 1861 and was conducted by Julian Minchin. It would have taken place after Amelia's birth, which should have taken place in 1860.

Another mystery is who was Julian Minchin, since he appears not to have been a minister of the church.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:42 am 

Dear Glenda,

The surnames of Norman and French enter my family tree through my great-grandmother Jessie Norman's family. Her parents are Edward Norman and Patience French. They were married 1 June 1862 and they were both living in Bay Roberts.

I have been unable to determine who their parents are, but have located their death dates. Edward passed away 23/24 April 1901, aged 66. Patience passed away 8 May 1895, aged 52, per vital statistics records or 20 May 1895, aged 55, per headstone information. I have used these dates to estimate their births, but I have been unable to locate any possibilities. I may have to wait until I visit Newfoundland again.

The only additional clue I have for parentage pertains to Edward. It is said that he has a brother Thomas, whose second marriage was to Frances Russell on 26 January 1876.

The surname Russell enters my family tree through my great-grandfather John Robert Carivan's mother's surname. Her name is Elizabeth Russell. Her first marriage was to Thomas Carroway (Carivan) on 15 December 1867. Her second marriage was to James Mosdell on 6 December 1874. Her parents are Isaac Russell and Martha Parsons.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hi Mark,

My great aunt Winnifred Keefe married a Ralph Parsons. They had 2 children.

Linda

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:35 am 

Hi, I have some Bradbury info- who are you looking for?
Linda

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 pm 

Hello Linda Mc,

I am a grandson of this Ralph Parsons and his second wife Daisy Carivan. I actually grew up down the street from Ralph and Winnie's eldest son Ralph, whose son Peter currently resides in the same house in Leeds, Massachusetts. I was able to obtain a copy of photographs of Ralph's parents James and Amelia, Winnie and Winnie's headstone from Peter. I also know that Ralph and Winnie's second son Charles Allan went to live with with his maternal grandparents when Winnie passed away.

I visited Newfoundland four years ago. I did some sightseeing in Bay Roberts and the surrounding area and did research at The Rooms in St. Johns. Many questions were answered and information was verified, but others were still left unanswered. I am looking forward to returning to Newfoundland to continue my research, especially locating newspaper articles.

In addition, I was given a copy of the family tree of Ralph and Winnie, which had some blanks where parents' names were unknown. I have been able to fill in Mary Jane Snow's parents' names and James Parsons' mother's name. If you need any of these, I will be happy to share them with you.

Yours in family history,
Mark

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm 

Dear Linda W.,

I am looking for information on a Frances Bradbury, who married Charles Parsons in 1845 in Bay Roberts. She passed away on 30 November 1899 in Bay Roberts at the age of 77.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:14 pm 

Hi Mark,

My mother grew up with Alan and always spoke fondly of him. The story of Winnie is known to me.

I would be grateful for any information you can share with me regarding my great grandmother, Mary Jane Snow's parents. I have been stymied with regards to her family. I do have a picture of her and I am happy to share.

Linda

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 pm 

Hello Linda,

Mary Jane Snow was born 3 October 1862 in Coley's Point and was baptized 5 August 1863 (C of E) by M. Blackmore. Her parents are John Snow and Belinda Sparkes. John and Belinda, who were both living in Bay Roberts, were married on 11 December 1860 in Bay Roberts by M.Blackmore. The witnesses were Abraham Minchin and John Sparkes.

John passed away 6 April 1922 at the age of 85 in Coley's Point from old age. He was also born and buried in Coley's Point. His age is listed as 84 on his headstone. I located a possible birth for John. John was born 19 January 1838 in Bay Roberts and baptized 16 September 1838 by Ingham Sutcliff. It took place at the Port de Grave/Bay Roberts Methodist church. His parent's are Edward Snow and Mary ?.

Belinda passed away on 8 June 1914 at the age of 76 in Coley's Point and died from Bright's Disease aka chronic nephritis/kidney disease. She was born in Bay Roberts and buried in Coley's Point. Her age is listed as 74 and year of death as 1904 on her headstone.

I have located two siblings for Mary Jane. They are Ellen and William John Sparkes. Ellen was born 3 August 1866 in Coley's Point and was baptized 25 November 1866 by John Reay. William John Sparkes was born 7 September 1870 in Coley's Point and was baptized 23 September 1870 by George Boyd. These baptisms were in the Methodist church in Port de Grave.

I am working on additional leads and will let you know if I am able to verify any additional family members. I hope this helps in furthering your Snow family research. I would love a copy of the photo. Thank you.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:59 am 

Hi,

I have an Ann Parsons from Bay Roberts who would have been born around 1816 and married a Nicholas Daw. I am interested in any information you may have on her or possible Parsons families of the area at that time.

Thanks,
Hannah Delaney

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 pm 

Mark, I am sorry but my Bradbury family all are from Torbay. You look like you are making progress - good luck.

Linda

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 am 

Dear Hannah,

I am sorry to say that I do not currently have any information on the Parsons families from that time period. Charles' birth currently is one of my brick walls. He was born around 1822 in Bay Roberts. If I am able to locate his parents and siblings, I will pass along the information. Good luck with your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:00 am 

Hello Linda,

Thank you for trying. I may have to wait until I can visit Newfoundland again to locate the information.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 pm 

Hello I am looking for info on the Badcock family. I have John Badcock Bach of Bay Roberts married Julia Lear Spin of Hibbs Hole in Bareneed on Jan 3 1868. Wit by Stephen Morgan and Patience Morgan. On Oct 10 1868 a son Henry is born to John & Julia Badcock of French's Cove Bay Roberts. I can not find any other info on this family. Any help would be much appreciated. Best Regards John

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 pm 

Dear John,

The surname Badcock is currently one of my brick walls. I have not been able to successfully determine Amelia Badcock's parentage. I know that her first husband was Samuel Kearley, who she married in Bay Roberts in 1877. They had one son Isaac, who was born in 1880. After Samuel passed away, Amelia married James Parsons in 1885 in Bay Roberts. I am descended from James and Amelia's son Ralph.

The only lead I have for Amelia's parentage is that she may have been born before her parents wed. Their names may be George Crane and Mary Badcock, who married in 1861.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

P.S. Sorry I did not respond sooner, but I had misplaced my password.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:45 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of information about the Parson's of the St. John's area. My ggg-grandfather, "Henry" (John C.) Parsons (b. 1806-1814, d. 25 January 1871) was born in St. John's, Nfld. Henry was known to be a cabinet-maker, and immigrated to the United States (first New York, and ultimately Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) by the 1840's, and died in Philadelphia. His father was Jonathan Parsons (approx. 1777-1831), originally of Harbour Grace. And his mother was (Mary) Charlotte Butler (approx. 1787-1838). In particular, I'm trying to find out if this Henry Parsons is the same man who first married Harriet Bearns in Nfld, only to later divorce her in the US and then marry Mary Swan Tunison. Henry and Mary had a son named "Harry" (Henry) (1858-1943). I'm trying to find out if Henry Sr.'s parents are indeed Jonathan and Charlotte. Thanks for any info you may have!

Tim

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames