Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Slades of Marshalls Folly/Salmon Cove
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 pm 

Hi Everyone Does anyone have any info on the Slade family of MF and SC.?
All of my family are from the area, in fact 4 of my GG grandparents were Slades. I have not been able to find their parents names and/or their connection to each other. I was told by my grand parents that Joseph and John were brothers. I don't think Dianna was a close cousin to John and Joseph because John's daughter married Dianna's son (my Penney G grandparents). What a muddle, I have 2 Whites, 2 Peachs, and 2 Kelloways as well. If anyone has info on the names below, please, please, let me know. Thanks Eileen

They were: John Slade 1849-1893
Joseph Slade 1855-1936
Dianna Slade Penney 1850-1926
Julia Slade Rose 1842-??

Post subject: Re: Slades of Marshalls Folly/Salmon Cove
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I've found a John Slade born July 15, 1849 at Marshalls Folly to a James and Charolette Slade.

and a Josiah born Feb 22, 1855 at Marshalls Folly to a James and Charolette Slade. Located in the Carbonear Methodist Births, here is the link to the site , Hope it's helpful. There are also records under the Harbour Grace and Carbonear Church of England and Methodist. Good Luck.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... wc=5479062

Records are also transcribed on this site under BDMW, Vital Stats for Carbonear.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:05 pm 

Hi LEN

Thanks for your reply. I've seen the records for those births but because the child born in 1855 was Josiah not Joseph I thought this couldn't be the right family. He was always called Joe and his headstone is Joseph, he was also married as Joseph. Maybe the original record is wrong,,,, I also think there might be an error in the marriage record for James and Charlotte. Unless there was another James, she was Catherine when married to James May 16 1847 with one of the witnesses being Philip White who had a sister Charlotte. If that's true, then I have another White in my tree. It's just gets more mixed up as I go. I might get everything straight in another 15 years. Thanks again for your help.

Eileen

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

That,s not unusual for names to change over the years. I,ve seen it on occasion. People who have died with a shortened name such as Joe could very easily have been guessed at as Joseph, rather than Josiah.
I would go with the dates of birth as more concrete evidence to the person rather than the name, especially when you have a brother with the correct birth date also. You also have to take into account that there were no others with that same name nor birth date in that same area.

You will also need to check out whether James married a second time.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:05 pm 

Thanks Len

I wasn't told their birth dates, just worked backwards from their DOD. James and Catherine were married May16 1847 yet there were no children for them only for James and Charlotte starting with John, July 15 1849 and the last in 1863. 10 in all, with one named Charles White and another Philip. The marriage was witnessed by John Slade and Philip White, and Philip had a sister Charlotte.

It sure looks like James and Charlotte are the right couple. I would love to see the parish records for that marriage and Josiah's birth.

Thanks for your help

Eileen

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:30 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/slade-thomas-3-1.shtml

Here is a will for SLADE that may sort out some Slades for you. It's worth a look.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 am 

http://nl.canadagenweb.org/cb_wills_thomasslade.htm

Hi Len, I also found this one which is probably an earlier version but they both seem to confirm each other. It seems that Thomas had a brother John and a son John. Other records suggest there was also a brother William. Two of my GG grandparents, Julia and Dianna, are descendants of Wm, the other two are likely of John, but which one????????? I'll figure it out eventually, hopefully. Meanwhile thanks very much for your response. Eileen

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames