Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus / Families With Southport Connections (Lambert, Flight, Meadus, Marsh, Seward, Price)
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 pm 
Hi,

I recently recieved an e-mail inquiring about Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus, as well as my family ancestry from Southport, Trinity Bay.

Here is the original e-mail:

Quote:
Hi, noticed you were from Southport. I have some info on families of this area. What family names are in your ancestry? And I do have Flights, back to Arthur Flight/Annie Violet Meadus. I am related to Annie through Ploughman from Port Rexton/Trinity and Price from Hant's Harbour.

Ian Roberts

Arthur & Annie are my Great-Grandparents, on my father's side. My father is Warren Flight. My Grandfather is Victor Flight, although my father was adopted by Samuel Lambert. My Grandmother on this side is Sharline Lambert.

My mother is Brenda Lambert, and my Grandparents on her side are Ulysses Lambert & Lillian Seward.

My family ancestry is pretty much Lambert (two different Lambert families), Flight, Marsh, Price, Seward and I believe there are some Meadus' as well. I know that some of these people were from Southport, Gooseberry Cove, and Random Island (Hickman's Harbour, not sure where else). There are no doubt more surnames in my ancestry, and they likely come from more places than I listed.

If you have any other questions just let me know, if I don't know the answer I can probably find out very easily.

Sherwin

Post subject: Re: Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus / Families With Southport Connections (Lambert, Flight, Meadus, Marsh, Seward)
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:19 pm 

Thanks. As far as I can tell, we are related in SEVEN(!) different ways..
Beware this is not for the beginner. Unless you have the mind to sort out all these connections and keep track of them without getting totally confused!!

1. -GOLDSWORTHY
On your mother's side, Ulysses LAMBERT's parents are Samuel LAMBERT and Sarah M. PRICE (same PRICE as on your FLIGHT side).
Sarah PRICE's parents are Noah PRICE and Julia Ann DRODGE.
Noah PRICE's parents are Benjamin PRICE of Hant's Harbour and Maria B(R)ANTON.
Maria BRANTON's parents are Gideon BANTON of Yeovil, Somerset, England, and Elizabeth GREEN of Scilly Cove (Winterton).
Elizabeth GREEN's parents are William GREEN of Wimborne-Minster, Dorset, England and Johanna GOLDSWORTHY of Salmon Cove (Champney's), Trinity Bay
Johanna GOLDSWORTHY's parents are James and Ann GOLDSWORTHY and James' parents are Edward and Ann GOLDSWORTHY

Johanna's sister is my 5th great-grandmother Ann GOLDSWORTHY, who married Stephen BARNES. My line then comes down through their daughter Hannah BARNES m. Johan Johansen from the Island of Bornholm, Denmark. They had a son John Alexander JOHNSON b. Trinity m. Catherine BANNISTER b. British Harbour. Their son was Simeon Thomas Johnson b. 1858 Trouty m. Mary Hannah BAILEY b. 1869 Petley, Random Island. Their daughter is Lizzie Johnson b. 1897 Trouty m. Pierce Goodyear b. 1886 Ladle Cove and their daughter is my paternal grandmother Daisy Lillian Goodyear b. 1919 Grand Falls.

2. -HISCOCK
Lillian SEWARD's parents are Obadiah SEWARD and Jessie Selina SPURRELL.
Jessie's parents are Moses SPURRELL of Butter Cove and Mary Ann STANLEY of Hant's Harbour.
Moses' parents are David SPURRELL of Trinity and Isabella SMITH of Southport.
David's parents are Moses SPURRELL and Honor SEXTON, both of Trinity.
Honor's parents are James SEXTON and Martha HISCOCK, both of Trinity.
Martha's parents are Thomas HISCOCK and Honor PINHORN, both of Trinity.
Thomas' parents are Joseph HISCOCK of Christchurch, Hampshire, England and Sarah COLLIER of Trinity.

Thomas' sister is Martha HISCOCK b. 1761 Trinity, who married John BANNISTER b. 1743. My line then goes down through their son Robert BANNISTER b. 1787 Trinity + Sarah unknown, and their daughter Catherine BANNISTER-see above-rest continues as before

3. -SEXTON
same back from Lillian SEWARD to James Sexton m. Martha HISCOCK
James' parents are Robert SEXTON and Mary JONES and his brother is Robert SEXTON, Jr. married to Mary Ann CUTLER. My line goes down Robert and Mary Ann Sexton's daughter Elizabeth Sexton b. 1811, who married George House, then their daughter Emily House m. James Bailey and their daughter Mary Hannah Bailey m. Simeon Thomas Johnson.....

4. -now onto your father's side
-Arthur Flight/Annie Violet MEADUS
-related to Annie through PRICE
-her parents are Caleb MEADUS and Catherine Jane PRICE
-Catherine's parents are Corbett PRICE and Mary STOYLES
-Corbett's parents are Benjamin PRICE and Maria BANTON.....see rest above

Corbett Price was named after Maria BRANTON's brother Corbett Branton, I think.

5. -related to Annie Violet MEADUS through PLOUGHMAN/RANDELL
-Caleb MEADUS parents are Henry MEADUS and Charity RANDELL (Meadus was also sometimes spelled MEADOWS)
Charity RANDELL's parents are William RANDELL and Amy PLOUGHMAN
Amy's parents are John PLOUGHMAN and Charity HISCOCK
Charity's parents are John HISCOCK and Zipporah HUSSEY
-John HISCOCK's parents are Joseph HISCOCK and Sarah COLLIER - and see above HISCOCKS

6. SIMMONS/BUGDEN/BAILEY
-Sharlene LAMBERT (see MARSH) - parents - - William George MARSH and Alice Sarah Maud SIMMONS
-Alice's parents Samuel James SIMMONS and Ethel Grace PITTMAN, both of Hickman's Harbour
-Samuel James' parents - John SIMMONS and Mary Ann BUGDEN, both of Trinity
-Mary Ann BUGDEN's parents - Thomas BUGDEN and Mildred SEVIER
Thomas Bugden's parents - William BUGDEN and Mary BAILEY
-Mary's parents - John BAILEY and Jane PINSENT
Mary's brother - Thomas BAILEY b. 1806 m. Mary LAITE - Thomas' son - James BAILEY m. Emily HOUSE - see more info above

7. PITTMAN/COOK/PENNEY/JONES
-Ethel Grace PITTMAN - parents - John PITTMAN and Mary BLUNDELL
John PITTMAN's parents - Joseph PITTMAN of Chard, Somerset, England and Grace COOK of Port Rexton
-Grace's parents - James COOK of Port Rexton and Martha PENNEY of English Harbour
-Martha's parents - Charles PENNEY and Mary Beston SWEETLAND
-Charles' parents - William PENNEY and Mary JONES
Mary's parents - William JONES and Hannah unknown
-William's brother - Stephen JONES b. 1725 + Catherine - Stephen's daughter Mary Jones m. Robert Sexton, mentioned above

and finally, your adoptive grandfather - Samuel Lambert --son of Henry Thomas LAMBERT and Ethel FAQUET??
Henry Thomas LAMBERT - son of Samuel LAMBERT/Sarah M. Price - see all above

and one other possible way
-Samuel Lambert m. Sarah M. Price
-Samuel's parents - William Henry LAMBERT/Sarah Ann LANGER - Sarah POSSIBLE(?)-daughter of Mary BUGDEN/Thomas LANGER - and this link is also BUGDEN/BAILEY-but not sure at all about this

Post subject: Re: Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus / Families With Southport Connections (Lambert, Flight, Meadus, Marsh, Seward)
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 am 

actually I do have a couple more questions - if you can answer them
-1. Where is Loreburn? - where the PRICEs lived-I can't seem to find it on the map

-2. also, your adoptive grandfather - Samuel Lambert - his mother Ethel Faquet?? - where did she come from?

Thanks,
Ian

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:36 am 
Ian,

You probably won't find Loreburn on a map because there is nothing there anymore. The last families resettled back in the sixties. All that remains now is a cemetary (or two, not sure) and a cabin. Loreburn is located in a harbour just east of St. Jones Within, in Trinity Bay. I have located it for you on Google Maps, and you can find it here: http://maps.google.com/?q=48.046667+-53.714444&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=48.011516,-53.696365&spn=0.228297,0.521164&z=11

I found some information for you as well:
Quote:
The Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador says that Loreburn (renamed from Long Cove in 1912) "likely became known to residents of Trinity Bay in the early 1800s as a site for winter woods work. The community was founded by Benjamin Price and his sons Jeremiah, Absalom, Noah and Corbett, who moved from Hant's Harbour qv in 1848....Long Cove/Loreburn is first recorded separately in the 1891 Census, with a population of 25 in five families. There were never as many as 50 inhabitants recorded in any census year, as the Cove was hemmed in by the surrounding hills, with little enough space for the homes and gardens of the extended Price family. The Prices and the descendants of Caleb Meadus (who settled in Loreburn after marrying Jane Price in the early 1900s) supplemented income from the inshore and Labrador fisheries by cutting timber in the country around Long Cove and Rocky Bay, to the east. The Methodist inhabitants of Loreburn built a school/chapel in 1850 and constructed a church in 1916-20. In the mid-1960s it was determined that the topography of the area would make it difficult to extend the road from St. Jones Within qv to Loreburn. In the fall of 1966, with only eight pupils enrolled and little prospect of the school's remaining open for another year, the families petitioned to resettle. In 1967 five families relocated to St. Jones and two to Little Heart's Ease across the Arm" (vol. 3, p.375).

Taken from: http://www.kayakers.nf.ca/sea_kayaking/trip_reports/armitage2007/hodgescove1.htm (Also has some pictures of Loreburn, if you're interested.)

In regards to Ethel Faquet, I believe that she was originally from Labrador. Also, I think that she was a native indian as well, not sure if this can help in your research. I will double-checks these two points with my mother tomorrow and follow-up if a correction is needed.

Here are some pictures of Loreburn:
[ img ]
[ img ]

Post subject: Re: Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus / Families With Southport Connections (Lambert, Flight, Meadus, Marsh, Seward, Price)
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 am 

thanks for all the info....

Post subject: Re: Arthur Flight & Annie Violet Meadus / Families With Southport Connections (Lambert, Flight, Meadus, Marsh, Seward, Price)
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm 
Just thought I'd give an update. As it turns out Ethel is actually from St. Anthony, Newfoundland and not Labrador as I first thought. However, as I previously mentioned, she is (at least part) native Indian.

Also, I made a little mistake with my grandparents on my father's side. Victor Flight was my grandfather, although my father was not adopted by Samuel Lambert. Samuel married my grandmother Sharline but my dad was not adopted by him. So, instead of being my dad's adoptive father, Samuel was in fact his step-father.

Hope this clarifies things a little more.

Sherwin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:26 am 

Hi

Just noticed this posting and seen the name Price in it from Lourboure. My husband's mother is a price from there. If you think I can help with anything or if you have info that I may find useful please contact me.

Macduder

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 am 
Just curious,

Do you mind sharing the name of your husband's mother? I think Loreburn was a very small settlement, even back in the day, so if she is a Price the chance that she is related to me somehow is quite high.

Sherwin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:40 am 

Hi Sherwin

I am sending you her name through email.

Macduder

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames