Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Kane family of Renews
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm 

Hello all! Please read my intro on the introduction page. I am trying to figure out the large Kane family of Renews. I can trace my line back to Patrick Kane, born 1841. He married Elizabeth Hearn in 1862. (More info in my intro).

Who is he related to? There are so many Kanes from Renews, but the first I found were Michael and John who were 21 and 19 in 1800, and listed as living with the Conway family. They seem to have worked for the Killegrew, Goodridge fishing vessels. Later voter records and such show a Michael Jr. and John Jr. as well as Thomas, Christopher, Michael, and Martin. Of course, they all use the same names so there are multiples of each...several Michael Kanes for example! And then there is the problem with the spelling....Cain, Kean, Keane, as well as Kane! Aarrgh. I've graphed the deaths, births, and marriages as best I can, but I'm still flummoxed. *(Darn those missing records!)

I think that my ancestors are likely John Kane and Mary McCarthy, who were married in 1836 because the McCarthy (or McCarty) name shows up as godparents for my ancestor's children. And the timing makes sense. But which John is this?

Several Kanes moved to Maynard, Massachusetts in the late 1800s and live along side each other (along with several other Newfie families) so I am assuming they are related...but as cousins, siblings, what? Help! Does anyone have any info on the Kane family of Renews? Any bit of information would be helpful.
Thanks
Patty

Post subject: Re: Kane family of Renews
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 pm 

Hi there.
Not sure if you are still active on this site but I came across your posting. I am related to Patrick Kane (b 1841) through marriage. His son, Nicholas Kane(b. 1874) married my relative, Catherine Duggan (b. 1872).
You are right, the 1900 Maynard Massachusetts Census shows a group of Newfoundland relatives all living nearby!
Contact me if you would like share info. I may not have much more new info ;)

Deirdre Carney

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames