Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Spooner in Brigus
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:12 am 

I'm trying to trace the Spooner name back to England from Brigus, or to find out more info on the Spooner families who lived in Brigus.

George Spooner and Providence Antle- born late 1700's, England?
John Spooner and Mary Butler- born 1815-20, Brigus
William James spooner and Susannah Hiscock- born 1840's, Brigus
Archibald Spooner and Mary Penny- born 1875-76, Brigus

Post subject: Re: Spooner in Brigus
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 am 

My grandmother was Janet Horwood. She often mentioned the Spooners and I think there was a family connection. She was born in St. John's 1893 but her family lived in Brigus until about 1890. I believe her grandfather, William Horwood, came from Chudleigh, Devon.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm 

Miriam "Minnie" Horwood Spooner, born 1896, was the youngest daughter of John Brown Spooner and Sarah Dawe. I don't know where the Horwood in her name comes from though. Maybe a previous marriage. I don't see any other connection so far in my research. I would be interested to hear anything that was said about the Spooners.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The St. John's North Star Dec.14,1872
Death Notice
At Brigus,on the 24th ult. after an illness of only a few days,Providence,aged 73,relict of the
late George Spooner.

The Newfoundland Express Jan.9,1862 (Tuesday)
Marriage at Brigus,onWednesday 1st inst. by the Rev.W.Harris,Mr. Absalom Antle,to Emma
Susanna ,youngest daughter of Mr. George Spooner-all of Brigus.

Brigus Marriages
Jan.1,1818
George Spooner-Providence Antle
Dec.29,1841
John Spooner-Mary Butler
Dec.16,1868
William James Spooner-Susanna Hiscock
Nov.28,1883
Thomas Vey Spooner-Clara Watts

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:09 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Brigus United Methodist Births and Baptisms
Parents-George Spooner and Providence Antle
Cicely Spooner
b. bap.Dec.29,1842
Elizabeth Spooner
b.Sept.8,1836 bap.Dec.27,1836
Emma Susanna Spooner
b. bap.
Jane Spooner
b.April 2,1830 bap.April 2,1831

Parents-John Spooner and Mary Butler
Ceily Martha Spooner
b.March 18,1845 bap.Jan.6,1847
Charlotte Onoria Spooner
b.Feb.4,1850 bap.Aug.19,1850
George Butler Spooner
b.Sept.29,1846 bap.Jan.6,1847
Lavinia Pickavant Spooner
b.Oct.3,1858 bap.Dec.12,1858
William James Spooner
b.May 10,1843 bap.June18,1843
Thomas Vey Spooner
b.Dec.7,1856 bap.

Parents-William James Spooner-Susanna Hiscock
Marion Lilias Spooner
b.Oct.5,1869 bap.Nov.25,1869
Bertha Ann Spooner
b.Sept.11,1871 bap.
James Spooner
b.June 4,1873 bap.
Archibald Spooner
b.Aug.2,1875 bap.
Alice Spooner
b.June 30,1878 bap.
Thomas Hiscock Spooner
b.July 28,1880 bap.
Joseph Spooner
b.Aug.15,1882 bap.

Parents-Thomas Vey Spooner and Clara Watts
Arthur Spooner
b.Feb.26,1884 bap.
Minnie Spooner
b.Nov.14,1886 bap.
Thomas Henry Spooner
b.Aug.4,1889 bap.
Francis Spooner
b.April 5,1891 bap.

1921 Census Newfoundland,St. John's East
89 Gower St.
Archibald Spooner Male Head Married Oct.1876 45 Brigus C.B.
Mary Spooner Female Wife Married Sept.1873 48 Seldom Come By
Albert Spooner Male Son Married Aug.1897 24 St. John's City
Mary Spooner Female Daughter in Law Married Dec.1901 20 St. John's City
Cecil Spooner Male Son Single May 1902 19 St. John's City
Cecil Spooner Jr. Male Son Single May 1921 5 months St. John's City
Florence Spooner Female Adopted Daughter Single July 1915 6 White Bay

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:14 pm 

Thank you "Ride"

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 pm 

I have not yet traced the Brigus Spooner family back to England. My grandmother was a Spooner from Brigus and I'm descended from the John B Spooner-Mary Butler marriage, through their son George Butler Spooner-Sophia Hiscock marriage. (Sophia's sister Susanna Hiscock married William James Spooner, another son of John B Spooner & Mary Butler). If anyone else is descended from that line, I have a lot of information I can share. I have been able to trace this Hiscock line back to Dorset.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:24 pm 

Apologies if this is already well known. My notes indicate that Janet Horwood's parents were William Waterman Horwood & Miriam Cranford Spooner. William's parents were William Horwood & Sarah Jane Waterman. Miriam Cranford Spooner, b1854, her parents were John Spooner & Mary Butler.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 pm 

My wife is descended from George and Providence (Antle) Spooner through their daughter Charlotte who married 1st Josiah Percey in Brigus 18 January 1848 [Brigus VR vol 36, p. 23 line 2] and 2nd Stephen Percey in Brigus 26 November 1865 [Brigus VR ]

Charlotte and Stephen Percey moved to Westerly, Rhode Island in the 1890's - before 1890. Charlotte was born in Brigus 8 May 1827 died in Westerly 30 January 1890 per the dates on her gravestone. Her death record at Westerly Town Hall names her parents George and Providence Spooner.

In addition to searching for the origins of the Spooner family in England, one should also consider the Spooner family in New England. They had a large group of the clan that were sailors and fishermen on Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island who regularly fished. My research has focused on a few family branches that repeatedly used the names George and Charlotte in the late 1700's and early 1800's to determine if there is a likely connection.

The movement of Charlotte and husband Stephen to Rhode Island piqued my interest in that possibility. However, NO EVIDENCE YET.

My primary focus is with the Payne and Percey/Percy families of Brigus.

Andrew

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm 

Interesting connection Andrew. Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at what I can find in New England for the Spooner family.

Cheers....Bruce

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:18 pm 

If anyone can comment on this for any further connections or ideas.

My Spooner family is in New York. I have records showing they all came from Newfoundland by boat and/or land.
-Cecil was son of Archibald Spooner
-Archibald was son of William Spooner and Susannah Hiscock.
-William (Captain of ship, Superior?) was the son of John Spooner and Mary Butler.
-Question is, was John the son of George and Providence (Elizabeth?). One record on this site shows, " their son John born" with the correct birth date, but one line off showing the son belonging to someone else.
-Charles Spooner is the earliest name I can find for Spooners, 1806, but his name does not show up any further. Don't know where his name went or where he came from, but was thinking he should be my oldest connected relative.
-A distant cousin said that there was a story of three Spooner brothers coming from England, One stayed in Newfoundland, two moved down to the States. New England? Rhode Island?
-My research showed Spooners most likely came from South West England, Wessex?

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 pm 

Dorset,
Do you have the Photo of George and Sophie Hiscock(George seated) or photo of John and Marys grave? Sounds like we both come from John and Mary. I'm then from William James, George's brother. Do you have any info from outside this site on the John and Mary line back. I think I have everything from this site.

Todd

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

Barleydog wrote:
-A distant cousin said that there was a story of three Spooner brothers coming from England, One stayed in Newfoundland, two moved down to the States. New England? Rhode Island?
-My research showed Spooners most likely came from South West England, Wessex?

That story is only partially true. :)

The first Spooner's recorded in Massachusetts, USA were Ann (Peck) Spooner, widow of John and their two sons: William b. 1622 Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands and Thomas b. 1623 Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands. They arrived abt. 1637 in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

John Spooner, husband of Ann Peck was born in Buckinghamshire, England, d. 1628 Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands. John's father James was born in Colchester, Essex, England.

This information had been available on spoonergen.com but it appears that that site is inoperable at the moment. The domain name is paid for up until 2017 so hopefully it's just having a temp technical problem.

I had downloaded all of the available gedcom files on that site (Robert and Ann (Peck) Spooner are my 11th great grandparents) which is why I found that site quite useful. I've looked thru them all and can find no mention of any Spooner's moving to Nfld. or your Cecil Spooner in the USA. It's quite possible that John had brothers, uncles, cousins etc still England and their ancestors came over later.

Regards,

~T~

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:54 pm 

Thank You "T"

I have read that some people fled the United States to the North to avoid the Civil War and went as far as Newfoundland. The Spooner line shows up before that 1861 date, so I don't see any other reason they would move from Massachusetts up tp Newfoundland. I don't think there was better working conditions in Newfoundland at the time. I could see them move away from Newfoundland though, which is what they did over the years. Only one family remains today. I show a group moved to Vancouver and Washington State, mine to New York. If they came directly from England by boat, I read that it would have been on a fishing vessel while working, and they decided to stay and not "commute" for each season, late 1700's, early 1800's. So I don't believe there would be any record of travel and the Spooner name would just start showing up in records. I'm still trying to find that jump back to England.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:15 pm 

Researching my great great grandmother Eliza Spooner from Brigus NL . She married in 1859 so I am guessing that her birth was around 1839 . From info on your post and info records I am looking at Elisabeth Spooner born to George and Providence in 1836 . Just a guess --ELIZAbeth . I have just started my family tree research . Info passed down from one generation to another is very scanty . Just a little scrap of info could go a long way to solving some lines . Will keep in touch with info . Thanks .

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames