Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: John Dorey: Black Island
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 am 

I'm wondering if there has been any progress in the search for the parents of the 3 Brothers DOREY (Henry, John and William), who were born in or arrived at Black Island . I am descended from John DOREY and Elizabeth (MOULTON?) (Most of my research has her surname as "H", but a recent correspondence with another of John's descendants provided me with th name MOULTON, albeit unconfirmed at this point in time).
John (b.1818-1894) and Elizabeth (b.abt 1821- 1904) both died in Harry's Harbor, Green Bay.
Their daughter, Rachel, married Job BAKER. Their son Reuben BAKER is my gg- grandfather.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Steve Baker

Post subject: Re: John Dorey: Black Island
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Steve;

Some time ago, I expended some time and energy in researching the early settlers of Black Island and area of Notre Dame Bay. I don't have access to all of my file information at the present time, as I am in travel mode.

Here are my general thoughts respecting the early Doreys and Bakers of Black Island.

Reference the early Doreys of Black Island....my suggestion is you should concentrate on Joseph Dorey of West Lulworth, Dorset....who settled at Moretons Harbour in the early 1800s....and who may have relocated later to reside alongside some of his children at Black Island. I have children listed for Joseph Dorey, but they do not jive exactly with the names you mentioned.

Reference the early Bakers of Black Island....I would focus on Samuel Baker, who may have had roots in the village of Stoborough, near Wareham, Dorset....arrived at Carbonear in the early 1800s.....and subsequently at Black Island circa 1840s.

Just a couple of suggestions, Steve, that may get you on the right path. I ask that you kindly do you own due diligence, of course.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:53 am 

Hi Milt,
I erroneously listed the names of the brothers. I have had Joseph on my radar for a while. I should have listed all his children. This is from a Dorey file Jill Marshall sent to me. She has been a wealth of information for me. I beleieve it to be the best sourced record I have:

Partial tentative list of Joseph Dorey, spouse unk (existence known from Joe Jennings & George Hamilton Maye’s document donated to PANL 1979)
1. Diannah Dorey bc 1820 - married Henry Rideout bc 1810
2. Lawrence Dorey - md (1) Rebecca UNK. (2) Betsy UNK (likely error by
minister, as Rebecca didn't die until after birth of child to
Lawrence & "Betsy".
3. John Dorey bc 1816 - d July 21 1894 Harrys Hr age 77 yrs, 8 months
- md Elizabeth H? UNK.
4. Jane Dorey - married Thomas Baker Taylor (Joe Jennings) SEE TAYLOR FILE.
5. Eve (aka Eva) Dorey - md 1842 to John DEERING (aka DEER).

I have found so much additional varying info on Joseph, from other descendants such as:
He was the husband of an unknown Mi'qmaq from Nova Scotia.
He married Marie Briere, who was the mother of at least John Dorey.
He was from Quebec.
He was from the Channel Islands.

I really appreciate your West Lulworth, Dorset lead. I will try to follow uo with that as best I can.

Regarding the Bakers: Similarly, Samuel Baker has been on my radar as well. In fact, I posted about this topic a month or two back. I thought for a long time that Job Baker, s/o John was the grandson of Samuel. Job's parents are given as John and Sarah (?) of Carbonear on his record of Baptism. I believe the baptism was private and more info is available than what is given in the Harbor Grace record. I'm not sure how to access those notes
Samuel did in fact have a son, John, in 1816 whom for a long time I thought was Job's father. However, Jill Marshall found evidence of another John born to Samuel much later, which suggests the death of the first John, making it unlikely that Sam was Job's grandfather.
John and Sarah seem to disappear. Job then turns up in Black Island with Sam as a witness at Job's wedding to Rachel Dorey (1859). I'm beginning to wonder if John, father of Job was Samuel's brother.
I apologize if this is a little verbose. Thank you so much for your leads and I welcome anything else!
Thank you
Steve

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Steve;

According to Governor Erasmus Gower's plantation records, Joseph Dorey registered a claim, dated December 10, 1807, on a "fishing room" on the east side of Moretons Harbour.

The Joseph Dorey at Moretons Harbour was likely the Joseph Dorey (Dory) who was baptised on September 3, 1780, at West Lulworth, Dorset, England, son of Lawrence Dory and Mary Snelling.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 am 

Thank you, Milt!
Can Joseph's record of baptism be found on familysearch.org?
I thank you again, Milt, You and the other posters on the board have been a tremendous asset to my reearch. I only hope I can help someone out as well.
Happy Easter,
Steve

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, Steve, the particulars of this Dorey (Dory) family can be found on "familysearch.org", and on other forums also.

England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975:
Name: Joseph Dory
Christening Date: 03 Sep 1780
Christening Place: West Lulworth, Dorset, England
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Laurence Dory
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01311-3
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 1239204
Reference ID: item 6

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:41 pm 

Found it!
Thanks Milt!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:17 am 

I have come across some records that pretty definitively prove a close relationship between the Bakers of Stoborough and the Doreys of West Lulworth, Dorset.

Joseph Dorey (b. 1780 to Lawrence & Mary Snelling, West Lulworth) had a brother, Henry, b. 1778. An indenture contract from 1787 has him being signed over to Thomas Brine of Holy Trinity, Wareham to learn the vocation of "waterman." This would have brought young Henry to the same parish as the Bakers of Stoborough, which was the "out" part of Holy Trinity, Wareham.

It looks as if Henry never returned to West Lulworth. He married Ann Baker in 1801. I believe this Ann was Samuel Baker's sister, dau. of Daniel and Ann (Langdown). The marriage took place 2 years after the death of Ann's father, Daniel Baker, who was the occupier of a cottage owned by Robert Dugdale in Stoborough from (according to land tax records), lived in said cottage from 1773 until his death in 1799. At the time of his death the rate on the house was 9 1/2 shillings. The churchwardens records then show the occupier as "the Widow Baker" with the same tax rate being paid. In 1803, the occupier is named as Henry Dorey, with the same rate being paid. He must have become the head of house after the death of his mother in law (who is down as the "Late Widow Baker in 1804 Churchwardens records). Tax records show Henry at the same house until at least 1819.

This relationship between the 2 families may indicate a common thread between the 2 immigrants to Newfoundland, Sam Baker and Joseph Dorey. We know Joseph settled in Black Island, NDB, and Sam in Carbonear. However, the Bakers obviously moved in the 1840s to Black Island, with many marriages between the 2 families occurring there.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 pm 

Correction: I think that should be 9 1/2 pence, not shillings!
Also, Joseph is first recorded in Moreton's Hr (not Black Isl), as Milt pointed out.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames