Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: ROBERTS
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 am 

Hello all,

I am looking for information on my great grandfather's family. I seem to have a hit a block with his mom.
From what I know, my g grandfather ROBERTS,John was born in Spaniard's Bay in either 11 Nov 1882 or 1886.
His mother was ROBERTS, Selina who came to the USA from Newfoundland in 1901. She is of Canada/English descent as well. The USA census list her 1st marriage at the age of 14. This makes sense with the year of birth being 1882 for my g grandfather.
Selina's DOB is abt 1868. She had two other sons ROBERTS, Archibald and ROBERTS, William and possibly a daughter Sarah. She then came to the USA and met a man named PALMER and married him and had another son.

John was in the Canadian Overseas army and was injured and recovered in England where he met my grandmother Kathleen and they eventually settled in Lynn, Massachusetts.

If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction to search for Spaniard's Bay records, I would be most appreciative. I am afraid my research is going to stop with Selina.

Thanks again have a great day
Tracy

Post subject: Re: ROBERTS
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm 

Hi,
just wanted to say that ROBERTS is a pretty common name in Newfoundland. Sorry, I have no connection whatsoever to your Roberts. Mine are from Bluff Head Cove, Twillingate, and even within Twillingate, there are four unrelated Roberts families.

Ian Roberts

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:46 am 

Hi Ian

I noticed you have a conection to the Roberts of Bluff Head Cove. I alson have a conection to Roberts in that area. It begins with a James Roberts who marries Sarah ann Moss I have 13 children listed for them. Would this be the same Roberts you have in your tree?

Macduder

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm 

Yes, James Roberts m. Sarah Ann Moss is a brother of my 3rd great-grandfather John Roberts m. Flora Mitchell.
Their (James and John)'s parents are William Roberts and Esther Anstey.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm 

hi yes i have also have connections to that family charles roberts of buff head married my great grandmother helen/ellen jordan of that family,unable too find any info on the jordans family of pouch cove since i have drawn a blank from that line her daughter became charles roberts adopted daughter at least this is what we been thinking?or have learned..no info on who mary biological father would have been..
do u have any connections from your end regarding this man and who he was//

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames