Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Job Baker Carbonear
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 am 

Looking to verify Job BAKER b. 1835, Carbonear, is grandson of Samuel BAKER and Jane PELLEY of Carbonear. I believe Job's father to be John Baker, b. 1816, s/o of Samuel, but can't definitively verify.
I am fairly certain John married Sarah nee unknown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen Baker

Post subject: Re: Job Baker Carbonear
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 pm 

Hi Steve
is this what you are looking for - John BAKER born Nov 22 1816 Carbonear, bap Apr 23
1817 (Carbonear Methodist records) to Samuel & Jane nee Pelley
John died July 21 1894 Harys Harbour age 77 yrs, 8 months - that specific age at
death would prove to me that he is the same John born at Carbonear and the one
who married Sarah Unknown and had Job 1835. John had a sister Mary born OCt 21 1819
Carbonear, baptized at Hr Grace Anglican Dec 19 1819.

Jill Marshall, St Johns

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 am 

[quote="JillMarshall"]Hi Steve
is this what you are looking for - John BAKER born Nov 22 1816 Carbonear, bap Apr 23
1817 (Carbonear Methodist records) to Samuel & Jane nee Pelley
John died July 21 1894 Harys Harbour age 77 yrs, 8 months - that specific age at
death would prove to me that he is the same John born at Carbonear and the one
who married Sarah Unknown and had Job 1835. John had a sister Mary born OCt 21 1819
Carbonear, baptized at Hr Grace Anglican Dec 19 1819.

Jill Marshall, St Johns[/quote

Hi Jill!
Thank you for this!
I never thought John made it to Harry's Harbor. I did find evidence of John and Samuel in
Black Island, where Job married Rachel Dorey. In fact, Sam Baker was a witness at Job's wedding. Is John's record of death on familysearch.org? I would like to have a copy of that. Also, , have you any ideas on how I might find out Sarah's maiden name?
Thank you so much, Jill!
Steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:27 pm 

Hi Steve
I have gone through all my burial transcriptions and can't find where I obtained
that death record for John at Harrys Harbour. I have a feeling it was from the
Nippers Harbour Methodist parish records, which seem to have disappeared from my computer.
I transcribed the Twillingate Vital stats deaths (same as Family Search has) yrs ago and those are posted on NGB - and it's not there either, but it's possible I missed it when typing it up for posting online, so you could try to see if it's there on Fam Search.
I also copied out all the headstones from Stonepics for Harrys Hr Cemeteries 1 and 2 but
it's not there either.

Jill

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

I posted a further reply to this but it seems to have vanished. I have to apologize
because the actual death record I thought was John Baker was John Dorey, so I do
not in fact have a death for John Baker in my files; the date was accidentally retrieved
in error from my Dorey file when I went looking for data there.

Because I felt so guilty about this I went to the Archives this afternoon and searched
through both the Carbonear Meth and Carbonear Anglican parish records for Baker deaths
In each case, burials begin 1820. I found no Baker deaths in either the Carbonear Methodist
or Anglican records, searched up to 1891 (at which point in time the Vital Stats deaths
have been transcribed and are available on Nfld Grand Banks). However I did find more children born to Samuel & Jane Baker within the Carbonear Anglican Parish records.

Samuel & James, twinn sons of Samuel & Jane Baker of CArbonear born Jan 28 1825, bap Jan 15 1826.
Joseph of Samuel & Jane Baker born SEp 7 1828, bap Sep 28 1828
Ann of Samuel & "Elizabeth" Baker, born Aug 1 1830, bap Feb 27 or 29 1832 (writing hard to read for baptismal date)
John of Samuel & Jane Baker b OCt 13 1836, bap June 4 1837. This would suggest that the John born to them 1816 died and this son was named in his memory. In which case, the Job who did go to Harrys Harbour cannot be the grandson of Samuel & Jane.

Jill M

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:26 pm 

Hi Jill,
Please don't feel bad! You have helped me solve one of the biggest mysteries I've had for the last 5 years! A second John born to Sam and Jane is proof positive to me that Job is not the grandson of Sam. I will continue to check Carbonear records for John and Sarah. Thank you for all your help. I am truly grateful.
Sincerely,
Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm 

Update: With the invaluable help of archivist Fr. Don Martin at St. Paul's Anglican Church in Hr. Grace, I have learned through the info on Job Baker's registration of baptism the names of his grandparents, both paternal and maternal. The baptism was listed under a separate heading indicating it was celebrated at home. I will start a new thread with queries on new info.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 pm 

My last post proved false.
Jill, I am very curious about the second son, John, born to Sam and Jane in 1836. Is there a way I can get this record? Thanks,
Steve Baker

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:07 pm 

JillMarshall wrote:
John of Samuel & Jane Baker b OCt 13 1836, bap June 4 1837. This would suggest that the John born to them 1816 died and this son was named in his memory. In which case, the Job who did go to Harrys Harbour cannot be the grandson of Samuel & Jane.

Jill M

I wonder about this birth. I believe Samuel to have been born in 1780, Stoborough, Dorset, England. I have no way of knowing Jane's age at this time, but Samuel would have been 56 years old. Can someone tell me what "archives" Jill refers to earlier in the post? I wonder why these later children of Sam and Jane are not available online.
Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:26 am 

I wonder about the possibility of John Baker and Sarah (?)'s marriage being on one of the Carbonear reels at PANL. Does anybody have thoughts/tips on how I would go about following that lead? I'm starting to look at a John Baker in Black Island married to Mary Anne (?) as a possibility for being Job's Father. Perhaps Sarah died and he remarried?
I am convinced that Job's father, John Baker is somehow related to Samuel Baker. I still have a feeling that the John born to Samuel and Jane in 1816 may be Job's father. Especially given the following marriages, where either together, or singly, they can be seen as witnesses:

Dec 6 1838 William Potter, bach, Carbonear & Mary Baker, spin, Carbonear.
HG ANG. WIT: Samuel Baker, John Baker (both of Carbonear)

Oct 9 1856 Richard Mew & Ann Maria Baker, both of Black Island. At
Moretons Hr, CE. W: Sam Baker Sr, Job Baker.

Nov 1 1859 Job Baker, Carbonear & Rachel Dorey, spinster, Black Island. At
Black Island, CE. W: Sam. Baker, Jas. Snow.

I'd appreciate any info at all.
Thanks!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames