Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Thomas O'Brien & Katherine Hunt
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:27 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I'm looking for information on Thomas O'Brien of Cape Broyle & Katherine Hunt - their descendants and their ancestors.
Thomas & Katherine had 5 children:
Richard O'Brien (1865-1934) married Margaret O'Leary, lived Blackmarsh Rd.
James O'Brien married Mary Burke
Thomas O'Brien (1868-bef 1945) married Susanna Turner; lived Blackmarsh Rd
Mary O'Brien (1871-aft 1935); married Richard Coady
Margaret O'Brien married 1896 Patrick Sullivan.

I cannot seem to tie Thomas Sr. in with the Cape Broyle O'Brien's so can sure use some help.
Trishe

Post subject: Re: Thomas O'Brien & Katherine Hunt
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 am 

Hi Trishe, in the 1903 Registery off deaths for St johns , there is a Thomas Obrien that died at the age off 96 years and was born at Cape Broyle and lived on Blackmarsh Rd. i think this was the father off the Thomas that was married to Katherine Hunt as he was likely to old to be Katherines husband. In the 1800 census for Cape Broyle there was only one family of Bryans or Briens in Cape Broyle and in the years that followed the name was changed to Obrien. All the Obriens in Cape Broyle are descentant from this family. They came from Ireland and they were Michael and Catherine Bryan. They had 7 children in the census off 1800 and there names and ages were as follows, Michael - 32, William- 30, John-27, James- 24, Richard- 18, Thomas-15 and Margaret-12 years old. As Thomas that died in 1903 was born in 1807 he was not the son off the Michael that came from Ireland, but his grandson. i know that he was not the son off John, i would think by the names of Thomas and Katherine Hunts sons names, that Thomas that was born in 1807 is the son off either James, Richard or Thomas in the 1800 census. If you go under historical information on this site for Ferryland district you will find the historical writings of Jim Joe Obrien from Cape Broyle and will give you some more information on the Obriens from Cape Broyle. Hope this will help you out.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thank you so much for replying! I certainly appreciate the information. You have added to my knowledge considerably.
So, we start with Michael & Catherine Bryan. Their children:
Michael b 1768 moved to Ferryland
William b 1770
John b 1773 m 1810 Mary Kennedy (children: Catherine, William, James)
James b 1776 d 1850 Single
Richard b 1782
Thomas b 1785 m 1815 Miss Brennan
Margaret b 1788 m1 John Kelly m2 Michael Gregory (4 sons)

Jim Joe O'Brien also lists another daughter, Elizabeth, who married a Hearn from Caplin Cove.

Thomas 1807-1903 was not the son of John or Thomas or James above, and likely not Michael. That leaves William and Richard.

Thomas (born abt 1835/40) married Katherine Hunt was likely the son of a Richard O'Brien (Irish Naming Pattern). Following this logic, said Richard could have been the son of the original Thomas & Miss Brennan, or of William or Richard.

All speculation of course, until more facts come to light. But you have given me a great start. Perhaps someone else out there can add to this data.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 am 

Hi Trishe! I’m a descendant of Michael&Catherine’s son Michael who married Mary Turner! I’d love to compare notes and provide you with the information I have so far! Email me if you’d like: LJFerzoco@gmail.com - I’m also hoping to fill in some blanks myself!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:25 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi!

I haven't looked at the Brien/O'Brien line in some time but do seem to have accumulated quite a bit over the years but still have lots of blanks to fill in, especially making connections with the first families to settle in Newfoundland.

Sure, contact me and we will see what we can do together :)

Trishe

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames