Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Walsh & Fleming families from Placentia area.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

Hello,
I have recently started an ancestry project and was quite surprised to learn that i have distant relatives from the Placentia area. I am wondering if anyone out there would have information on the Walsh family from Lamaline, I am specifically looking for an Albertine Walsh born around 1884 I know she had a son Thomas in 1900 and she travelled at one point between St Pierre and Sydney in the early 1900's where she raised a family. The 2nd family is the Fleming family, specifically a Thomas Fleming married to Mary Emma Power, they as well moved to Sydney and had a family. If you have any information on these people I would appreciate hearing from you, these are my great grandparents and there is know one living now that can tell me about them.

Kind Regards

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Walsh & Fleming families from Placentia area.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 am 

Hi....we might have some connections here.
(1) In researching my Green/Greene family of Point Verde,Placentia, I have a MARY POWER who married a "Mr. Green" but I don't know which one,and Mary is such a common name it's no good to look up Mary Green(e) in my files.
This Mary Power Green later,as a widow,married Philip Summers(Somers).
In her first marriage,Mary Power Green had a son(name unknown) born 1869, and a daughter Mary Greene born about 1870...this daughter later married Michael Nugent.
When she married Summers,their son married a Foran surname girl,and had a daughter Mary Emma Summers, who married Thomas Fleming.
The parents(Summers & Foran...one of them,don't know which,died at Kimberley,BC in 1944. Mary Emma Summers Fleming died 1911 at Dunville,NS(I don't know if this is an error ,because there is a Dunville in walking distance from Placentia also).
Mary Power Green Summers died 1884 in Placentia.
It sure sounds like the same family.

(2) WALSH....I have not been specifically researching the walsh family,so don't know if there is a connection to Walshes in Lamaline. However,Walsh(Welsh) is a surname that's been in Placentia and Point Verde since the 1700s.
My own great-grandmother was Anastasia walsh,born 1850.Her father was Patrick Walsh,married to Amelia Whiffen.....just in case you have come across any of those names.Patrick Walsh was from Point Verde but Amelia Whiffen,I don't know.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am 

Hiya,

Indeed there is a connection here :-) my great grandmother was Mary Emma Somers. I do not have very much more information than what you supplied as of yet though. As for Dunville, I cannot find a Dunville in Cape Breton however I have read that two of the Fleming girls were married in Dunville NS ?? Curious... I do know that the next generation were born and raised in Sydney in the Whitney Pier area. Lots more research to do...
Where do you fit in with the Green / Greene family?

As well, for the Walsh family, I have been able to track down an older gentleman in NFLD who sent me a small bit of information a few weeks ago, he was the nephew of my great grandmother on that side however due to what i can figure out there was a family circumstance which prevented him from knowing her. It seems like she travelled to St Pierre and married my great grandfather John Dominique ( this family will be the hardest to trace )

I will check for the names you supplied tonight and see if other names are matching up.

Kind Regards

Peggy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:46 pm 

### Where do I fit into the Green/Greene family? I,m not sure if you had a very specific question there. In general, all Greens and Greenes around Point Verde/Placentia area for hundreds of years are descended from the same original family.At present they are all descended from John Green(e) & the widow Mary Corbin in 1790s. John's father Michael was there also,but I don't know who was there before him. No records.John was there before 1778,and a Robert Greene there in 1744,probably Michael's brother at a guess.
I cannot say where I connect to your Mr. Green(Power,Summers,etc.) because we don't even have his first name.
### Because it all centers around Placentia,I am assuming that Mr. Green is one of mine.....however,there is always the possibility he may have come from,say,Isle au Valen,Red Island,etc. out in Placentia Bay,and I do NOT know if those Greenes are related to us.
### St. Pierre....You'll have to look for it (sorry) but in maybe the past year I understand a huge number of St. Pierra records have been put online. Actually,check with this website here first(GrandBanks),as it was mentioned ,where I saw it,that the St. Pierre records would be of interest to Newfoundlanders. Also Placentia is not far from St. Pierre and long associated with it, so again perhaps that is why your relative could have gone to St. Pierre. I've had other family names(Pike etc.) who have been connected to St. Pierre from Placentia Bay/Burin area. Thanks.Ward.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames