Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Leahy, Lahey, Leahey, Lahy, Lahaye, Lahee, La haie, Layhee, De Lahaye, Lahiff, Surname DNA project.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 pm 

We are establishing a DNA databases through Family Tree DNA project to try and determine the origins of the family name. We are hoping descendants from these family names that have moved to the US, Canada, and Australia as well as original Irish, English and French families will participate. We need your help to make this project work.
The Lahy, Leahy name that is an anglicized form of Irish was commonly interchanged adding confusion to the origin families’ in Ireland.
The Surnames were found in many States of US in particular the Eastern Seaboard and many Provinces in Canada, particular Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Quebec previous to the compilation of many of the Church Records.

Cheers Leonard

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not post your e-mail address in the open forum

Post subject: Re: Leahy, Lahey, Leahey, Lahy, Lahaye, Lahee, La haie, Layhee, De Lahaye, Lahiff, Surname DNA project.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

My wife is a Lahey from Port Morien (Cow Bay), Cape Breton. Her Grand-Father, Michael Thomas Lahey b. 11 Apr 1896 (Main-à-Dieu, Cape Breton) married Maud Félomina March on 3 July 1923 in Port Morien; Maud was from Port-au-Port, NL. Michael's father, Patrick Daniel Lahey was also born in Main-à-Dieu on 5 Oct 1864. He was married to Mary Catherine "Katie" Kennedy. Patrick's father, Thomas Patrick Lahey b. 4 Sep 1836 had married Sarah Gallant at Main-à-Dieu in 1858. I have not been able to confirm that Thomas Lahey, b. c. 1810 and married to Ellen Troke, b. c. 1805 was Thomas Patrick's father. There's also a possibility that Ellen Troke may have been Ellen Burke. If Ellen was in fact a Troke, this might indicate they had met in Nfld.; just a maybe! I can't offer more.

Post subject: Re: Leahy, Lahey, Leahey, Lahy, Lahaye, Lahee, La haie, Layh
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:08 pm 

The Laheys in Newfoundland were Lahy, Lahey, Layhee, Leahey, Lahee, or Leahy depending on who was doing the recording. Most are of Irish decent and as in Ireland the name was often interchangeable. Although Newfoundland is a small island it was home to many Lahey immigrants mainly from Cork 7, Waterford 6, Kilkenny 3, Wexford 2, Tipperary 2, and Carlow 2. These early records from 1760 to 1840 are primarily found in the St John’s area. The pre 1800 the Laheys were Protestant later mostly RC. They were living in Newfoundland well before the fatal famine in Ireland.
My ancestor Edward Lahey, married Catherine Lockier in Heart’s Content, Newfoundland, in 1816. There is no record of where he was born or indeed that he is Irish. There were other Laheys living in Newfoundland that show no country of origin other than an assumption they were of Irish decent.
There were at least six predominant Lahey families that flourished in NL. They resided in Cape Broyle, St John’s, Bell Island, Harbour Grace, Hearts Content (Hearts Desire) and Placentia Bay. Most if not all of these families are not related, that is there appears to be no family relationship on this side of the Atlantic. Now descendants of these families are found through-out Canada and the US.
As to the origin from the French Huguenot family called De Lahay I believe the correct way to go is through DNA testing.
I hope other Laheys worldwide will join (the Leahy Lahey Family Tree DNA project). This I feel is the only way to identify our origins.
Cheers lentree

Post subject: Re: Leahy, Lahey, Leahey, Lahy, Lahaye, Lahee, La haie, Layh
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:18 pm 

Leahy, Leahey. Peter Robinson Settlement Huntley, Ontario.-origins and DNA
My family -Patrick Leahy and wife Johanna Falvey-with five children, came from Conna, Cork. There is another family-ancestors of the singing group Leahey-that appear to be connected. They came from close by in Mitchelstown, Cork. I understand they were there building a castle -that was later destroyed-and the owner wanted the workers shipped out to Canada. See book published by C Michael Diamond.
That family was Michael Leahy and Mary Burgess. I located their baptism records in Mitchelstown. The Peter Robinson records are widely available and are in the National Archives.
My ancestors left Ontario for Allemette Island, Quebec -13 children -that then moved through Canada and the US>. Many Leaheys with the two E's in Canada are related to each other. Our line lived in NB and NS. I have connected via DNA to many of these relatives. My father published a 28 pages list of the Leahey family in Canada.
A relative has visited Conna but has not found much additional history there.
Take care
Bren Leahey Young

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames