Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Gale's of Codroy
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm 

My Great Grandparents were James William Gale and Elizabeth Collier. I know that James father was James Edward Gale and his mother was Grace Collier. I believe that James Edward's father was James Edward Gale and his mother was Jane Moore?

From what I have read, the first European settler in Codroy was John Jr. and Mary (Dodge) Gale. They were married in Symondsbury, Dorset in England. John and Mary had 7 children, 3 of them boys (James, William and Edward). Both William and Edward died at sea without ever marrying. James married Ann Unknown.

I am trying to connect my family to the early settlers of Codroy. Also, if anyone has any church records or other information about the Gale's of Codroy and wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to get a copy.
Thank you
Crystal

Post subject: Re: Gale's of Codroy
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

If you go to "B,D,M,W' in the toolbar of the home page of this site, then "Vital Statistics/Burgeo & LaPoile/St Thomas Bapt. 1830-1840" you will find the diary of Rev Wix, who traveled the south coast between 1830 and 1840, baptizing children as he went. May 09,10 and 11, 1835 he baptized a number of children in the Codroy area.
The Channel C of E (including the Codroy area) records do not start until 1852 and are not online. The Public archives of Newfoundland and the Library in Corner Brook, NL have copies.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 am 

I have James Moore married to Jane Gallop, 19 Sep 1830.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

Hi Crystal,

I am from the Gale family of Codroy and I have an extensive family tree. My Grandfather was James Gale. John Gale and Mary Dodge are my GGG+ Grandparents. Please contact me.
Jackie

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am also related to the Gale's from Codroy, my branch settled in Port au Port. I am also descended from the Collier family. Would like to share info to see connections.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm 

Hi All,
I would like to post an historical note here about Codroy for anyone interested. By the late 1720's the Chenu family of St Malo, France, had established a fishing and trading business at Codroy in an effort to escape English scrutiny following the Treaty of Utrect (1713) and the expulsion of French from Plaisance (Placentia). In any case, permanent settlement of some nature was established at Codroy ( an aberration of Cape Ray) by at least 1730. I can refer readers to " 'Une Petit Republic' in Southwestern newfoundland: The Limits of Imperial Authority in a remote Maritime Environment", by Olaf Ewe Janzen in 'People of the Northern Seas', Fischer and Minchinton (eds.) St John's, 1992 (1-33). The story of the Chenu family is really a fun story.
Whether the Gale family was part of this original European (albeit French) settlement at Codroy is unknown to me. There were quite a number of families, both French and English, who continued at Codroy following somewhat directed British settlement after the Treaty of Paris in 1763.
Cheers
Greg Mitchell

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

I am new here. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I saw this post and I'm looking for the Dodge name. I have my DNA and have some matches with Dodge and Gale. Does anyone know if any of the Dodges from Codroy ended up in N.S. or N.B.? My dad was adopted but I was told verbally that my grandfather was ( sounded like Gerald Dujay ). For years I think I may have been on the wrong path. It was never written down. He lived in New Brunswick at the time of the adoption. ( Codroy) Many of the trees of my matches have Mary Dodge 1740. This looks similar and since my dad's mother was from Newfoundland and most of the Dodge of my matches are B in NFL I thought I would check here.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames