Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: BUTLERS of Pouch Cove
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:17 pm 

Descendants of Valentine and Julie (Newell) Butler

Post subject: Re: BUTLERS of Pouch Cove
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am 

Joan123;

Do you have any information on Julia Newells ancestors? I believe Julia & my wife had common ancestors.

Regards
Cal Efford

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm 

lac wrote:
Joan123;

Do you have any information on Julia Newells ancestors? I believe Julia & my wife had common ancestors.

Regards
Cal Efford

Sorry, Cal, for not seeing your prompt reply till now! The only info I have on Julia Ann Newell's ancestors is her father was James Newell and her mother Matida (no surname). Shamefully, I don't have a source citation listed in my database. I usually do. You probably know that Julia was born in 1859 and died 25 February 1951. I remember her very vaguely. I would have been a child of four when she died. She was called Gramma Butler. I have an image of her in a long black dress with a shawl around her. I think there's a picture of her somewhere. My cousin remembers it. My grandmother is her daughter Maggie Jane (Butler) Strugnell. The family story is that Granddad (her father) was going to shoot Will Strugnell on sight because he married his Catholic daughter. I always found that curious, since he himself had married the Protestant (United) Julia! So was your wife a Newell?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm 

joan123 wrote:
lac wrote:
Joan123;

Regards
Cal Efford

Sorry, Cal, for not seeing your prompt reply till now! The only info I have on Julia Ann Newell's ancestors is her father was James Newell and her mother Matida (no surname). Shamefully, I don't have a source citation listed in my database. I usually do. You probably know that Julia was born in 1859 and died 25 February 1951. I remember her very vaguely. I would have been a child of four when she died. She was called Gramma Butler. I have an image of her in a long black dress with a shawl around her. I think there's a picture of her somewhere. My cousin remembers it. My grandmother is her daughter Maggie Jane (Butler) Strugnell. The family story is that Granddad (her father) was going to shoot Will Strugnell on sight because he married his Catholic daughter. I always found that curious, since he himself had married the Protestant (United) Julia! So was your wife a Newell?

That's of course 'Matilda'

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

joan123 wrote:
joan123 wrote:
lac wrote:
Joan123;

Regards
Cal Efford

That's of course 'Matilda'

And DOD 15 Feb 1951

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm 

My wifes great grandparents were Edward and Jessie Newell, Her grandmother was Margaret, Margarets brother Samuel had a daughter Julia, born about 1914.

I'm interested in shareing and expanding the Newell tree.

Regards
Cal Efford

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am 

Cal wrote:
My wifes great grandparents were Edward and Jessie Newell, Her grandmother was Margaret, Margarets brother Samuel had a daughter Julia, born about 1914.

I'm interested in shareing and expanding the Newell tree.

Regards
Cal Efford

Thanks for the info. My great-grandmother Julia Newell was born in 1859. It's interesting to see another Julia, however, who could be a namesake and in the same line. Do you have any dates for Edward and Jessie? Perhaps Edward was a brother of my Julia. I'm trying to link her to a Newell branch. As I mentioned, I only know about her and her marriage to Valentine Butler.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am 

Joan;

Edward Newell (born about Sept 1843 @ Pouch Cove) married Jessie Ann Noseworthy (born March 1853 at Pouch Cove) I'm not posative of Jessies surname. I have 9 children for them but no parents or Brothers or sisters.
My wifes grandmother was their daughter Margaret "Maggie" who marrird John Butler from Foxtrap.
I tried sending this message Jan 8 but apparently didn't get sent.

Regards
Cal Efford

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:46 pm 

Hi Cal,

Hopefully you still check this message board from time to time. I am researching Butlers from Foxtrap and you said your wife's grandmother was Margaret Newell who married John Butler from Foxtrap. Was this couple James John (1880-1963) and Margaret Jane (1881-1965)? If so, do you know who James John's parents were? Or any siblings? My g-g-grandfather was a James Butler from Foxtrap, married to a Susanna (nee ?) (both likely born before 1837). They had a William Charles Butler about 1857 in Foxtrap (my g-grandfather). I don't know of any siblings of either James, Susanna or William Charles.

Susan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:33 am 

Hi Susan;

I have James "John" Butlers parents as John born abt 1843 and Selina Kennedy born abt 1840 death Nov 1916, however I have not been able to confirm Selina as the wife of John.

I have James "John" Butlers siblings as Susanna born abt Mar. 1876; Wm Charles born abt 1886; Caroline abt 1887.

Regards
Cal

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm 

Hi Cal,

Thanks for your reply. I saw William Charles' (bc 1886) marriage record to Fanny Petten and that his father was given as John. I thought this John could be the one listed in vital statistics who died in Foxtrap March 2, 1920 at age 81 (b.c. 1839), because he was the only John Butler I could find in the right age group. I didn't know about a John Butler b.c. 1843 (maybe they are the same person and the age at death was off a bit?). I didn't know of a wife Selina. I am really grasping at straws with my own Foxtrap Butlers because my g-grandfather died when his children were young and no family history was passed on. I am stuck at James and Susanna Butler, and their only child (as far as I know) William Charles (bc 1857). Your post has given me something to chew on: I reckon all the Foxtrap Butlers must be related somehow.

Thanks

Susan

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:52 pm 

My wife is DNA (ancestry.com) connected to the Butler/Noseworthy family, and I think it goes back to the other side of Conception Bay.

Coley's Point South/Port de Grave/Clarke's Beach/North River/Otterbury/Brigus there are family roots, but it's sketchy for we're lacking certain records.

That are my wife's John English and Mary Hunt are connected to. I think the Butler/Noseworthy/Dawe families intersect with my wife's English/Hunt line somehow. Not sure how. Any feedback is appreciated. Anyone want to talk DNA is okay with me as well. I just registered today, but I don't see a function where you can PM me, so my email is Joniterp62@gmail.com

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames