Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Payne, Fifield and Hogarth
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 am 

Briefly, I'm researching Samuel Payne (Jr.)and Sophia Fifield, my Great Grandparent's. They were both widows with children, remarried (1 Dec 1906)) and had my grandmother Clarabell Payne.
Also searching for the parent's of Samuel Payne (Jr.). Only have one reference to a Samuel Payne Sr., when his grandson Frank Payne was born in 15 Apr 1899.

Looking for Isabella Hogarth's lineage.. she is my Great Great Grandmother.. and parent's of William Fifield, my Great Great Grandfather - parent's of Sophia Fifield.

I will be coming to Newfoundland July 12 - 19 with a research group from Boston. Hoping beyond hope to meet a relative! :)

Post subject: Re: Payne, Fifield and Hogarth
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:27 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Good evening:

If my memory has not failed me, Samuel Payne Sr. of Twillingate, was married to Miss Curtis, the daughter of Benjamin and Maria Curtis of Twillingate. They had a son, Samuel Payne Jr. I have additional information tucked away somewhere - I will have to dig it out !

You may have already viewed these records ???

This would appear to be the marriage record for Samuel Payne Jr., widower, and Sophia Fifield, widow.

"December 1, 1906, Samuel PAYNE, widower, Grand Falls, age 42 (father Samuel,
labourer) and Sophia FIFIELD, widow, Grand Falls, age 38, (father, William
Fifield), by Llewellyn Godden, in the house of Mr. Colbourne, in the presence
of Edwin Colbourne and Ellen Colbourne."

According to this record, it seems that George Fifield was the prior husband of Sophia.

"George FIFIELD, d: July 24 1899, Twillingate, consumption, age41 years, CE, blacksmith, NOTES: married Sophia FIFIELD of Trinity, dau of William Fifield; she remarried to Samuel Payne."

This record suggests that Samuel Payne Jr. had a prior marriage to Olivia Manuel.

"Nov 17 1891 - Samuel Payne, bachelor, clerk, Twillingate & Olivia Manuel, spinster, Exploits. At Exploits, METH. Wit: Albert Manuel, Lucy Manuel."

And Frank Payne was one of the children of Samuel Payne Jr. and Olivia Manuel.

"Frank PAYNE, s/o Samuel & Olivia MANUEL, b: Apr 15 1899, bap: Sep 24 1899, Twill North, NOTES: Grandson of Samuel Payne Sr."

I trust your trip to NL is a memorable one. There are records relating to members of your family - Samuel Payne Sr., Benjamin Curtis, etc. - in the Twillingate Museum, located immediately behind St. Peter's Anglican Church, on the Twillingate North Island.

All the Best.

Milt

Post subject: Re: Payne, Fifield and Hogarth
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:37 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I came across this tidbit of information today.

Olivia PAYNE, d: Jan 17 1902, age 32 yrs., consumption, Congregational Cemetery, Twill., Nee: Olivia MANUEL, wife of Samuel Payne Jr., Born: Dec 6 1869, at Exploits, d/o Jonathan Manuel & Susan Lacey.

Milt

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames