Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Tobins from Oderin
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 am 

I seem to have hit a dead branch in the 'ole family tree. Anyone with information on Michael Tobin of Oderin (d 1934, b ca. 1845, married Priscilla (Cilly) Williams ca. 1880) I would love to hear from you. Equally, I know Priscilla died in 1942 and was probably born around 1856 and that's it. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tobins from Oderin
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:05 pm 

According to the 1921 census of Oderin Michael was from St. Lawrence, but I haven't been able to connect him with the Tobin line there. If he was born in 1845/46 his baptism record should be at St. Patrick's Parish in Burin for that time period. There are also copies at the Provincial Archives in the Rooms at St. John's.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 pm 

Hi,
I have some copies of the St. Patrick's RC records mentioned above - certainly not all.
There is a baptism but not in the time frame you mention. On September 27, 1852 a Michael was baptised with parents being Richard Tobin and Elizabeth Drake. Sponsors were Thomas Slaney and Catherine Tobin. No age or place of baptism/birth are given in these early records. Keep in mind that children were sometimes baptised when older or perhaps age on Census' are not always accurate. Just something to keep in mind as you search for your Michael - this fellow can be ruled in or out - as perhaps another researcher will be able to lay claim to him. This couple also had a daughter, Seragh, baptised in 1843 and a son, Thomas, baptised in 1838. I'm sure they likely had other children but I don't see them at this time.

Good luck.
Aileen

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 pm 

Hi
I am also looking for information on Michael Tobin and Pricilla Williams. I would like to know who their parents were. I am their grandaughter and I was told that Michael's parents came to newfoundland in 1846/1845 from ireland (on a boat because of the potatoe famine) and his mother was pregnant with him. I have Michael and Pricillia's children as Rodger, John, Richard who was adopted and Winnifred. They were born on Oderin as was my Dad, Richard Tobin, one of Rodgers sons.

Carol Tobin.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 am 

Sorry for the incredibly belated reply!

I have managed to find a Michael Tobin, born to Thomas Tobin and Ann Carew, baptised 05 October 1846 in Bay Bulls (Saints Peter & Paul R.C. Bay Bulls). I know the date is correct from both his death certificate which puts the year correctly and from the 1921 census where he gave his birthdate as being in October. Aware that he also gave his birthplace as St. Lawrence but if his parents did indeed travel here while his mother was pregnant, could she have given birth in Bay Bulls before the family moved on to settle in St. Lawrence? Michael may not have known about this technicality if he spent his entire early life in St. Lawrence before settling on Oderin. If yes, then the whole thing fits.

I had the chance to visit the island last summer and could not find any headstone for Michael & Priscilla. However, I was told by an older woman who lived there when she was younger that there is a headstone for them. If anyone has ever been there, have you seen any such thing?

Thanks for the replies
Janet

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames