Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Taylor/Young/Dicks/Bowles/Warren Burgeo/Coppett/Fox Island/
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:15 pm 

I researching the families of my great-grandfather James Taylor and his wife Bridget Young. They were members of the Burgeo Methodist Church. James Taylor was born in April of 1863 or 1865. His father was Thomas Taylor. He had a brother Thomas. All three of them are listed in the 1888 Burgeo & LaPoile Voters List. The death certificate for James lists his mother as Mary Dicks. James married Bridget Young who was born May 14, 1866 in Coppett. Her parents were James Young and his wife Louisa Bowles. I do not know the year of the marriage but according to my research their oldest daughter Elizabeth Ann was born October 1887 so I would expect the marriage to have been in either 1887 or 1886. Other children believed to have been born in Burgeo were Louisa born in November of 1889 and Barbara born 1891. A son Wilson was born May 20, 1895 in Burgeo, and died there June 2, 1895. There is also a Thomas J. Taylor who died shortly after Wilson on June 11, 1895 at age 2 of the same cause and therefore may also be the son of James and Bridget.
Their son Ward James Taylor (born 1896 Bay of Islands) is my grandfather. The remaining children were Marion born 1898 and Henry AKA Harry born 1900. The location of their births is unknown at this time but there is a James Taylor listed by McAlpine's on Woods Island in 1898 and 1904. The family left Newfoundland for North Sydney, NS in 1910. I am currently trying to confirm the identity of James Taylor's mother. There was a Thomas Taylor married to Elizabeth Dicks Keeping, widow of Abraham. On 24 July 1864 they baptized an unnamed male child. I want to find out the name of the child. There was also a Thomas Taylor who married James Melbourne's widow Grace Warren, but I don't know when this occurred. It is mentioned in Joseph Small's Diary of Burgeo. One more clue: Mrs. Ephraim Wall was listed in James Taylor's obituary as a sister. She was Selina, the daughter of Thomas and Grace Taylor. I don't know when this married occurred, so the timeline does not help me sort out this melange of facts. I'm guessing multiple marriages, but I can't tell if there are also multiple Thomas Taylors. If anyone knows anything about these families, please let me know. Thanks very much, Anne

Post subject: Re: Taylor/Young/Dicks/Bowles/Warren Burgeo/Coppett/Fox Isl
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 pm 

Hello,

I'm unsure if this information will be of any help but thought I would pass it along. Both the name Thomas Taylor and Ephraim Wall are names from Moreton's Harbour. Here is one link to a record from that community: http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/wall-ephraim-11-480.shtml. It includes information on the Wall and Taylor families.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:44 pm 

Sorry -- I inserted the wrong link in my previous posting. Here is the link that I meant to post: http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/tw-v86-a ... 1857.shtml

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 pm 

I am also looking for a John Thomas Ashburne Taylor, b. Feb. 27, 1893 in Moreton's Harbor (vstats/civil-reg-birth-1892-1894-fogo.shtml); the document states that Albert & Mary (SNOW?) were parents. I am trying to find out if this child survived. The only clue I have found is a John Taylor who died on 3/17/1903 in Botwoodville, at 13 years old, so the age is off.

I would also like to find a reference to when Mary passed.

Thanks,

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 am 

I'm not sure how much it helps but I can tell you that Selina Ann Taylor age 25 of Burgeo d/o Thomas and Grace married Ephraim Wall age 26 of Cape Ray s/o Ephraim (Jeremiah) and Mary Ann White were married July 4, 1907 at North Sydney Nova Scotia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:29 pm 

NORTHSYDNEYREID wrote:
I'm not sure how much it helps but I can tell you that Selina Ann Taylor age 25 of Burgeo d/o Thomas and Grace married Ephraim Wall age 26 of Cape Ray s/o Ephraim (Jeremiah) and Mary Ann White were married July 4, 1907 at North Sydney Nova Scotia

Hi North Sydney,

Do you know what Grace's maiden name was?

thanks,
Anne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:53 pm 

Daisy wrote:
Hello,

I'm unsure if this information will be of any help but thought I would pass it along. Both the name Thomas Taylor and Ephraim Wall are names from Moreton's Harbour. Here is one link to a record from that community: http://ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/wall-ephraim-11-480.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It includes information on the Wall and Taylor families.

Hi Daisy, This is interesting. I do know that the father of the Ephraim Wall (born 1879 Cape Ray) in my family tree was also Ephraim. The Ephraim Wall baptized Jul 7 1848 Moretons Hr is a good candidate agewise to be Ephraim's father.

Interesting to see Thomas Taylor with a child Selina. It's the wrong generation but naming patterns are important to consider when looking for family connections. Ephraim Wall's wife Selina Taylor was born in Burgeo circa 1882.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. Warmest regards, Anne

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm 

Hello,

I took a closer look at the Taylor tree from Moreton's Harbour and here are some bits of information that include some of the names mentioned in the posts.

This is the information I have on Albert Taylor and Mary Small?Snow of Moreton's Harbour:

7. Albert Taylor b. Moreton's Hr., m. (1) Dec. 2, 1862, in Moreton's Hr., Martha Peckford, m. (2) Mary Small (?Snow). Albert died Moreton's Hr.
Children by Mary Small (?Snow):
i George Taylor.
ii Thomas Taylor b. Moreton's Hr., m. Nina Jones.
30. iii Martha b. 1869.

I don't know if this Thomas would be aka John Thomas Ashbourne Taylor. Ashbourne is also a Twillingate (located not far from Moreton's Harbour) name.

There is also another Thomas Taylor with daughter Selina:

2. Thomas Baker Taylor b. 1803, m. Jane Dorey, b. 1809, Black Island, (daughter of Joseph Dorey and ?) d. 1893, Moreton's Hr. Thomas died 1897, Moreton's Hr.
Children:
6. i Joseph b. 1833.
7. ii Albert.
8. iii George Frederick.
9. iv Elizabeth b. 1852.
10. v Mark b. Sept. 26, 1842.
11. vi Hannah.
12. vii Mary.
13. viii Thomas b. 1849.
14. ix Selina b. 1850.

13. Thomas Taylor b. 1849, 1921 - White Bay, m. (1) Dinah Dearing, (daughter of John Dearing and Eve Dorey) m. (2) Rebecca Canning, b. 1865, Western Head. Thomas died Moreton's Hr.
Children by Dinah Dearing:
51. i William b. 1880.
ii Elizabeth Taylor b. Moreton's Hr., m. Solomon Snow.
iii Irene (?Rita) Taylor b. Moreton's Hr., m. Samuel Pelley.
52. iv Noah b. 1892.
Children by Rebecca Canning:
53. v Obediah b. 1892.
54. vi Stanley b. 1893.
vii Hannah Taylor b. Moreton's Hr., m. Herbert Head, (son of John Head and Lavinia Taylor). Hannah died Nov. 8, 1918, buried: Ang. Cem., M.H.
viii Dollie Snow b. 1916, Little Burnt Bay.
14. Selina Taylor b. 1850, Moreton's Hr., m. (1) William Flight, d. Cottle's Island, m. (2) William Cooper.
Children by William Flight:
55. i Emily Jane b. 1871.
56. ii Zebedee b. 1876.
iii Augustus Flight m. Edith Stuckless.
iv Joseph Flight.
57. v Ralph b. 1888.
Children by William Cooper:
vi Alfred Cooper.
vii Fred Cooper m. Maude Philpott.
viii Mary Elizabeth Cooper m. John Watkins.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm 

Daisy, The 1849 Moreton's Harbor Thomas does not appear to be a match for my Thomas, but there is another Thomas who was baptized in 1855. I wonder if you have any info on him.

TAYLOR
Thomas
6 mos.
of Thomas (fisherman) & Jane Taylor
MOreton's Harbor
baptised September 9, 1855, by I. W. Dingwell, Jr.

http://nl.canadagenweb.org/ndwest_parre ... pt1854.htm

thanks

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

Daisy wrote:

2. Thomas Baker Taylor b. 1803, m. Jane Dorey, b. 1809, Black Island, (daughter of Joseph Dorey and ?) d. 1893, Moreton's Hr. Thomas died 1897, Moreton's Hr.

Any thoughts on where Thomas' middle name, "Baker" may have come from?

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames