Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: MORRISSEY of Cape Broyle Renews Avalon Shore
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:54 pm 

For folks who have recently posted about MORRISSEY family emigrating from Tipperary, your keystone ancestor (particularly if you are from Avalon Shore roots) could be William MORRISSEY:

1738, born in Ireland, birth placed at Carrick on Suir, County Tipperary, based on the information placed on his tombstone by his son.

1816: Died at Cape Broyle, Newfoundland

From a transcription (www.ngb.chebucto.org) of a headstone located
Old Non-Denominational Cemetery, Ferryland, Ferryland District, Newfoundland

Erected by Tho. Morrissy, of
Carrick on suir, in Memory of his
[??]er P[????]ted Father, Wm Morrissy
of Cape Broyle, Who Dep. this life
April the 26th 1816, Aged 78 Years

However, be aware there is another line of MORRISSEY family that originates in Dungarvan, County Waterford which is only a short 25-35 miles SW depending on whether you measure from Waterford town on the coast or Carrick on Suir up the river into Tipperary.

(From my MORRISSEY family history notes)
"Other Morrissey records show a sept of the family was from Dungarvon (sic), County Waterford (see Morrissey Wills in the Book of Newfoundland Wills Michael MORRISSEY Vol. 1, Pages 500-503, probate year 1847). If it's this Morrissey, see the Michael Morrissey will which has extensive family connections delineated in a very detailed will and codicils.

And see also the Gerrt Crosby transcriptions which mention several Irish townlands of origin for Morrisseys."

Post subject: Re: MORRISSEY of Cape Broyle Renews Avalon Shore
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am 

Do you have a Mary Morrissey who married John Holden and had at least 3 children: James (bap. Mar 27, 1833), Catherine (bap. Sept 6, 1835) and Johanna (bap. Sept 5, 1837) in your records? I would be curious to know if they had any other children, date of marriage, her parents etc?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:05 pm 

Sorry I cannot be of more help. I do not recognize the names and dates you posted. My ancestor was Mary Morrissey b. abt. 1846, possibly on the Avalon Shore or at St. John's. She married Thomas Foster of St. John's and had several children. When Thomas died in 1881, Mary eventually followed two of her daughters to Montreal, Quebec. I know her descendants. But, I've never been able to figure out her Morrissey parents: they are not mentioned in her marriage or death records.

Cameron

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:41 pm 

Do you have any information on Peter and Katherine Morrissey and their nine children born in Holyrood? Two of the girls died of bronchitis there, Maude (8)in 1903 and Angela (5)1902.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm 

I am posting on this thread, so I can go back to it to figure out how to find these wills!

My great-grandfather William Morrissey was born in Brigus, New Foundland and married an Eliza F Ryan from Harbour Grace. William's father might have been a Patrick. Anyway, they emigrated to Rhode Island with their son Thomas James Morrissey. I hope to trace the Ryan line as well as the Morrissey line.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:11 am 

canadasmith wrote:
Do you have any information on Peter and Katherine Morrissey and their nine children born in Holyrood? Two of the girls died of bronchitis there, Maude (8)in 1903 and Angela (5)1902.

Peter and Katherine (Furey) Morrissey were my 3rd great uncle/aunts. I dont have alot of info, most of their kids names but that's all, would love more info also...

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames