Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: PACK/AYLES
 Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 am 

Hi,
I live in Sydney, Australia and in my family tree (on my Father's side) I have a link to Robert Patrick Ayles who married Lavinia Pack. Their son, Robert Patrick Ayles Jnr. married here in Queensland, Australia in 1875.
From your site I have looked for information on the Pack/Ayles families. I know little of Robert Jnr (his Birth date & place) but what information I have I have extracted from my tree and the details are shown here below.
Maybe there is some one over there who would like to know more or who has information on these familes that they would like to share.

Info from my tree:

EMMA MASON JAMES was born in 1857 in Tavistock, Devon UK.
Emma (Aged 17) listed on Queensland State Archives Indexes - Assisted Immigration 1848-1884, Location: IMM/115, Page No: 873, Microfilm No: M1697.

Emma married ROBERT PATRICK AYLES (Jnr) on 20 March 1875 - Marriage registered Queensland Births Deaths & Marriages Registration No: 1875/B004717.
Emma met Robert on board the ship "CLARA" when the family left the UK on 9 November 1874 and arrived in Moreton Bay Qld on 22 February 1875 - Robert came from Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Canada and was 2nd Mate on the "CLARA".
Robert was born c1837.
His parents, ROBERT PATRICK AYLES (born c1810 and died **19 January 1851 Carbonear, Conception Bay, Newfoundland) and LAVINIA PACK (Christened 29 December 1811 at Grace Harnour, Conception Bay in St Paul's Anglican Church, Harbour Grace) were married on 7 September 1831 in St Paul's Anglican Church, Harbour Grace - Witnesses were: Robert Pack & Thomas Chancey, both of Carbonear.
**Death Notice published in 'Weekly Herald' on 22 January 1851 - Robert Ayles, from Poole (Dorset), son-in-law of Robert Pack of Carbonear, merchant of Carbonear died 19 January 1851.
Lavinia - Death Notice published in 'Harbour Grace Standard' on 22 January 1887 - "On the 18th December, at Walthamstow, Essex, England, Lavinia, eldest daughter of late Robert Pack, Esq, Merchant, Carbonear, and widow of late Robert Ayles, Esq, Aged 76 years" - also see copy of GRO Index on which her age is stated as being 68?
NB: When the "CLARA" sailed from London to Sydney on 20 May 1873 the Records Authority of NSW - 'Mariners and Ships in Australian Waters' site,...
http://www.mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/ ... 063cla.htm
shows Robert Pack Ayles - Aged 36 years - Crew.

Robert drowned on 27 December 1875 in the Brisbane River and was buried in a Paupers Grave on 29 December 1875 in Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane, Queensland - Death registered Queensland Births Deaths & Marriages Registration No: 1876/B010285 - Father shown as 'Robert Patrick Ayles' and Mother as 'Lavinia Pack' - Portion: 16 Section: 3 Grave No: 32.
Others buried in same Grave are:
Attoo Sex: Unknown Burial Date: 29 October 1891 Age: Unknown
William Harding Male Burial Date: 30 January 1915 Age: Unknown

Children from this marriage were:

1) Female AMELIA PACK AYLES born 10 May 1876 - Birth registered Queensland Births Deaths & Marriages Registration No: 1876/B020755 - Father shown as 'Robert Patrick' and Mother as 'Emma Mason James'.

I hope this information is of some use to those looking for information on these families.

Regards from downunder,
Sue.

Post subject: Re: PACK/AYLES
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:32 pm 

Sue,

Was very interested to read your post. I am related to Lavinia PACK through her mother's brother, William ASH. I didn't know anything about Robert or that there was an Aussie connection. Now I have two Aussie branches on my family tree. I would be very interested in knowing more about Amelia and her family.

Thank you again.

Roger Cole

Post subject: Re: PACK/AYLES
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 am 

Hello Roger,
I have sent you an email through NGB with details for you to contact me direct.
I will forward copy of my family file.
Regards,
Sue. :)

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames