Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Miller, Somerton, Picco
 Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 pm 

Looking for information on who the parents of Frederick and Selina Miller (although married they both had the same last name at birth), George Somerton and Eliza Picco (this couple was also married to each other). The church in Portugal Cove, Newfoundland burnt down in 1938 and I am at a stand still. Would also like to find any info on any siblings or other relations to any of these people.

Katherine

Post subject: Re: Miller, Somerton, Picco
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 am 

Hi Katherine
I had a Great Aunt Mary Ann Miller of Joe Batt's Arm, Fogo Island, whose second husband was George A. Picco. They lived in St. John's where George worked for a funeral home driving a funeral carriage. When George retired they went to live with Aunt Mary's daughter in Seal Cove, White Bay, NL. They are buried in the Anglican cemetery in Seal Cove.
Perhaps a connection?
d

Post subject: Re: Miller, Somerton, Picco
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm 

I have in my husband's family tree, Elizabeth Picco married to Martin Barry about 1880 in St. John's. She was from Portugal Cove. Thy had Agnus, Philip, Margaret and Joe

The following is from my notes on the Picco name:

Found this in the Picco infomraiton; Are these ancetors?
"St.Thomas was first permanently settled around 1810, near the mouth of the Horse Cove Brook, by the families of Michael Lowry, (now Laurie), from Loughteeog, Parish of Stradbally, Queen's County, (now Co. Leix), Ireland . And Elias Picco of Portugal Cove. NL. Both Lowry & Picco were brothers-in-law ; their wives Mary & Annabelle Jennings were both sisters ,daughters of Edward & Bridget (Nearin) Jennings, Beachy Cove, (Portugal Cove), NL."

This is a will, may or may not be the same Elizabeth.

Will of Rebecca Piccott from Newfoundland will books volume 2 pages 489-490 probate year 1862.
Transcriber’s Note:This name is spelled Piccot and Picot in the will and Piccott in the will index.

In re
Rebecca Piccot deceased.
This is the will of Mrs. Rebecca Picot respecting the disposal of her property that the house which she now occupies together with those attached to it to be sold and half the proceeds to be given the three eldest and the other half to the two youngest children. The three older children’s portion to be paid immediately after the property is sold & the other half to remain in the hands of the Trustees to be paid by them at t discretion to the two youngest children. The bed and bedstead in which she now lays is to be given to her youngest daughter Elizabeth the large chest drawers with the bookcase to be given to her eldest son Nathan- the small chest drawers to be given to her daughter Jemima A bed & bedstead with its bedding and furniture together with a mahogany table to be given to Julia. The other mahogany table to be given to Jemima. The clock to be given to her youngest son John together with a bed bedstead & bedding The five silver tablespoons to be given one to each of the family one armchair to be given to Nathan and the other to be given to John the remainder to be divided among the other children all the small articles of household furniture to be equally divided among the family The property in Portugal Cove to be divided as follows the part already apportioned to Nathan that is to say that part situated to the westward of Daley’s to be his for ever All the remainder that is to say that portion leased to Daley to be given to her son John to be his for ever that is to say after the expiration of Daley’s lease the rent now paid by Daley to be disposed of for the first seven years after the death of the said Mrs. Picco to paid for the support of her youngest daughter Elizabeth and after the above seven years the rent is to be equally divided among the five children until the expiration of Daley’s lease after which it is to be the sole property of her youngest son John. The funeral expenses or any other lawful debts which the estate may owe to be defrayed out of the proceeds from sale of the property in St. John’s. Before any division of property can be made And I do hereby appoint Mr. Wm. Coyell and Wm. Pitts Jr. To be trustees to carry this my will into effect. P.S. In the event of any of the above mentioned persons dying their portion of the property is to be given to the wife children or husband at their own discretion. Rebecca Picot.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames