Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Loveridge
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Is there anyone out there who came across the LOVERIDGE surname. I am trying to research Isabella Loveridge Who married John White at Boulters Rock , Labrador in the 1860's. There was another Loveridge there at the time, Thomas Loveridge. I would like to find out WHO her parents were and Where she came from. All help appreciated.
Thank You.

Post subject: Re: Loveridge
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

renew.
Len wrote:
Is there anyone out there who came across the LOVERIDGE surname. I am trying to research Isabella Loveridge Who married John White at Boulters Rock , Labrador in the 1860's. There was another Loveridge there at the time, Thomas Loveridge. I would like to find out WHO her parents were and Where she came from. All help appreciated.
Thank You.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Len wrote:
renew.
Len wrote:
Thank You.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm 

While I don't have specific information gathered on the Loveridge name, I associate this name with Twillingate, in particular Thomas Loveridge.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Len;

Henry Loveridge (1809-1891), from North Perrott, Somerset, was probably the first Loveridge at Twillingate. He married Charlotte Stuckless.

Thomas Loveridge is listed in the 1870 McAlpines Directory, etc. at Pouch Cove.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Thank you for that information,however I can't seem to associate Isabella Loveridge with Henry. Isabella married John White at Boulters Rock Labrador and later moved to Carbonear. They had four children , two boys , Henry and George . Two Girls, Matilda and Mary Elizabeth. It could be that she named one of her sons after her father Henry, however that's a long shot.
I found a will for Henry Loveridge but he don't mention an Isabella there amongst his children unless he left her out because she married and moved away.
If I could find other Loveridges at Boulters Rock in Labrador it would be a great help as no doubt they were the only family there as LOVERIDGE is not a very common name at that time period in NL.

John White married Isabella Loveridge at Boulters Rock, Lab. on Sept 13, 1861. They moved to Carbonear about 1885.

Here is the Will;

Will of Henry Loveridge
from Newfoundland will books volume 6 pages 47-48 probate year 1893

Last Will and Testament of
Henry Loveridge of Twillingate
Planter deceased.

In the name of God Amen I Henry Loveridge Planter residing at Twillingate in the Northern District of Newfoundland make this my last will and Testament I give and bequeath to my wife Charlotte Loveridge my dwelling house outhouses waterside premises gardens and all other property now in my possession or which may be in my possession at the time of my decease - situate at Old House Cove on the North Island of Twillingate, my garden at Ragged Point on the South Island of Twillingate all my household furniture my boats, nets, fishing apparatus and all other property real and personal which is now or may be then in my possession to remain hers during the term of her natural life.
At my said wife's decease I bequeath all the above mentioned property to my three sons Andrew George & John Loveridge of which they shall have an equal share whilst they continue to reside together In case any of them shall remove it is my will that his or their share of the property shall remain in possession of the one or more who continue to occupy it. It is also my wish that no part of the property shall at any time be sold except with the full consent of my three sons above named or that of their heirs who may hereafter be in possession thereof -
To my grandson Frederick Albert Loveridge I bequeath out of the above property a feather bed and bed clothes belong thereto. As executors of this my last will I appoint Samuel Woods Baird and William Thomas Baird. Signed and sealed as my last will and Testament on this 25th day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy eight Signed and sealed by the said Testator as his last will and Testament in our presence after being read and explained to him and signed by us in each others presence (sgd) Henry Loveridge (LS) Witnesses (Sgd) Samuel Woods Baird (LS) (Sgd) William Thomas Baird (LS) Twillingate Newfoundland December 25th 1878 -

Codicil I Henry Loveridge Planter, residing at Twillingate as above, desire to add this to my last will and Testament and hereby give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Bennett all that piece of land known as the "look out Garden" to be hers after the decease of myself and my wife Charlotte. Dated this fifteenth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty four at Twillingate Signed by me Henry Loveridge. Signed in my presence after having been read and explained to him J. Embree, William Thos. Baird. Witnesses

I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will and Testament of Henry Loveridge deceased

Registrar

(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
Fiat
J. S. Winter J
Probate
granted to
Samuel W Baird
& Wm Thos. Baird
the Executors
Dated
Aug 28:1893
Estate
sworn under
$550.00

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:49 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The Census for Caplin Bay Labrador 1853-1867 Shows a Thomas Loveridge with Four (4) in family and Anglican Religion as follows;

NLGenWeb Data
Labrador - Caplin Bay
Rev. George Hutchinson Census (1853 - 1867)
The following census was copied from the book, The Anglican Church in Labrador 1848-1998, written by Francis Buckle, Archdeacon of Labrador. The Rev. George Hutchinson, Missionary in the Mission of Battle Harbour from 1853- 1867, made an extended visit to the communities north of his own mission as far as Sandwich Bay, and listed , not only the names of the inhabitants, but the number in each family, as well as the members of the Roman Catholic Church. This book is available by writing: The Archdeaconeary of Labrador, 600 Hudson Drive, Labrador City, Labrador , Canada A2V 1M1

Name Number in Family Religion
John Bird (8) Ang
Henry Stevens (4) Ang
Eli Hopkins (6) Ang
Thomas Loveridge (4) Ang

© 1999 Emma Stirling & NL GenWeb

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:46 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Thomas Loveridge,Pouch Cove married Mary Sullivan, Pouch Cove on Dec. 9th 1845 Torbay Anglican Church. Their Children were;

1. Edward Born June 26, 1848 Pouch Cove.

2. James Born July 17, 1850 "

3.Maria Born June 17, 1853 "

4.John Born Jan 8, 1856 "

5. Dorothy Born Apr 28, 1859 "

6. Richard Thomas Born Mar 21, 1864 "

So it would seem that this Thomas Loveridge is not the same one in Caplin Bay Labrador as it appears he lived in Pouch Cove at that time period.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:52 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

From the Will of Henry and Charolette Loveridge, Twillingate It lists the following children;

1. Andrew
2. George
3. John
4. Elizabeth

There may be more Children.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Henry and Charlotte (Stuckless) Loveridge, Twillingate

1. Alexander b. Jan 26, 1845

2. Andrew b. Jan 8, 1847

3. Elizabeth b. May 18, 1848

4. George b. Dec 7, 1850

5. Dorcas B. Dec 7, 1850

6. John b. 1854

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 am 

Hi,

Not sure if this of interest re: Thomas Loveridge who married Bertha Burden:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... wc=5479517

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:05 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, Thank you, I have that. It appears that Rev. George Hutchinson, Missionary in the Mission of Battle Harbour from 1853- 1867, made an extended visit to the communities north of his own mission as far as Sandwich Bay, and listed , not only the names of the inhabitants, but the number in each family, as well as the members of the Roman Catholic Church. He listed a Thomas Loveridge of Anglican Faith with FOUR (4) in family living at Caplin Bay in the Battle Harbour Region of Labrador between 1853 and 1867.
From this it looks like THIS Thomas Loveridge who married Bertha Burden at Boulters Rock in 1875 may be Thomas's son and HENCE Isabella Loveridge who married John White at Boulters Rock on Sept 13, 1861 may be this Thomas's sister. These may be TWO of the four children of Thomas Loveridge.
NOW if I can only find out Thomas Loveridge's particulars who was living at Caplin Bay in the 1860's with ( 4 )four in his family , I feel I may be on the track to solving this mystery?

ANY IDEAS HOW I DO THIS?

Thanks Again for your assistance.
Len

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:02 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Down North on the Labrador Circuit: The Court of Civil Jurisdiction 1826 to 1833,
by Nina Jane Goudie.

The Legal System in Labrador -

While the Labrador Court differed in structure to that of Newfoundland, its day-to-day operations differed little from Circuit Courts on the island. Both were itinerant. They traveled by boat out of St. John's, anchoring at as many communities as possible in the fall of each year. Court facilities were scarce. On the island there were few courthouses or jails. Court was usually held onshore, probably at a local fishing room or merchant store. Court facilities were nonexistent in Labrador and the resident population was so small and thinly spread along the coast that court was always held on board the judge's ship. The vessel anchored offshore; the sheriff, clerk and constables rowed to shore as required to post notices, issue summons and serve writs. However, there was one impediment that the Labrador Court referred to constantly and was never mentioned in the Proceedings of the Northern Circuit Court of Newfoundland: the weather. Delays were common. In some cases court was cancelled and, as per the tragedy recounted at the beginning of this paper, sometimes was the cause of death.

From 1826 through 1833, 120 cases were brought before the court (see Figure1 / Table 2 - page 28). Over half of these cases (66) were debt related, usually between merchant and fisherman, 16 were actions of trespass and six for damage to property. Over 25% of the total number of cases (32) were withdrawn, dismissed or settled out of Court. Outside of debt, the subject matter varied: damages related to the supply of bait, child maintenance, harbouring servants and in one case, theft. The latter case was a minor criminal matter. Serious cases would be transferred to the Supreme Court. Those were rare.

The volume of cases was modest but the issues were typical of the period, reflecting day-to-day disputes that occurred between merchants, planters, and their families concerned to eke out a living. It was customary for masters to supply their servants with food. One group of servants complained to the Court of Sessions that the amount of bread and provisions supplied was insufficient. The Court responded by enforcing a minimum weekly allowance. The largest pro-portion of cases involved debts owed by planters to firms for food and fishing supplies from the previous year, but also included monies owed for firewood, a pair of boots, washed clothes and medical services. There were disputes over wharf space, fishing rooms, the hiring of servants and wages. Women did not avail of the court often although they were essential workers in the Labrador fishery. Tucker noted that women “are expert in this business [salmon]... and engage in hard and laborious toils of fishing with as much zeal and activity as males.” Innis noted that many women were employed through the fishery, working for meager wages to clean the fish or the vessels, as the need may be. Women surfaced on the court docket several times. Mary Broomfield was a key witness for the plaintiff in a suit for trespass; William Reid sued Samuel Summers on behalf of his daughter for maintenance of their child; and Sarah Clarke appeared in court in answer to a debt on her husband's estate.

As minute books, the court records provide few details for most cases, but we can piece together enough to illustrate that some planters were having particular problems. James Crawford was one such man living near Cape Charles who struggled to make ends meet each year. In 1826 the firm of Wise, Baker and Howard charged that Crawford owed them £49.14.11 from dealings the previous When he tried to serve a summons, the constable discovered that Crawford was in St. John's. The case was held over to the next year but did not surface again on the docket. In 1828 Wise, Baker and Howard once again charged Crawford for money owing on account from the previous year. As it turned out, poor weather prevented the officer from serving the writ. The case was held over but once again did not reappear in the records. Crawford also appeared to have problems retaining workers. He lodged complaints against Jonathan Cole and James Feltham for damages of £30 and £40 respectively for “harbouring and employing” servants who allegedly were “deserters from his service.” Both cases were dismissed when Crawford was unable to prove his case. Two days earlier Thomas Loveridge, probably another former servant, appeared in court alleging that Crawford owed him £5 for clothes Crawford had belonging to him. Crawford did not show up in Court. But his confidence was rewarded as Paterson found Loveridge's evidence insufficient and dismissed the case. In a case later that week, John Kelloway claimed that Crawford owed him £19 for wages since 1825 and an additional £22 for clothes. This time Crawford capitulated, agreeing to return Kelloway's clothes and to submit the complaint about wages to two arbitrators. These cases demonstrated the role the Court provided as go-between in the settling of disputes. The fact that the Court formally resolved neither of these cases did not mean its time had been wasted. Its presence enabled an amicable resolution to a disagreement that could potentially have polarized community relations.
Last bumped by Len on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:02 pm.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames