Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Gorman Family from Harbor Main
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 pm 

I've been getting a lot of information from this site, but I'm still trying to piece the puzzle together on the Gorman family. Ellen Gorman was my great grandmother. She was probably born in the 1840's or early 1850's. She was from Harbour Main and married William Getherall from Bay Bulls in 1871. I believe they had four children:Margaret b.1873, Mary Ann, b.1877, Ellen b.1878 and Thomas b.1882. Thomas was my grandfather.

It looks like Ellen was godmother for a child born to Patrick Gorman and Mary (Gorman) Gorman in 1868. Walter, Johannah, Michael and Edward may also be siblings or cousins. These names are associated by records of godparents or marriage witnesses.

If you have any information, I'd be thrilled to have it. Thanks. Jean (Getherall) Michalozski

Post subject: Re: Gorman Family from Harbor Main
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:02 pm 

I have yet to define what relationship the Gorman's had with our family but they do pop up in our history. I am not sure if these are your Gorman's, take a look.

1889 - My great grandfather's first wife Alice Bradshaw born. abt 1862- d. July 13, 1889 in St. Pierre-et-Miquelon. There is reference made to a to a Joseph Gorman on her official death certificate. Joseph Gorman along with Alice's Uncle James Joseph Hagen were the people who presented her death details to the mayor of St. Pierre-et-Miquelon, Paul Astride Nazier. Joseph Gorman is stated to be a businessman. age 28, residing on the island. In that same death certificate it states that Alice Bradshaw died in the house of Michael Gorman, Fonda Street, St. Pierre.

1939 - My uncle John William Meaney, born Ferbruay 12, 1939 was baptized on the 26th day of February in Montreal, Quebec. His parents Thomas Gerard Meaney b. Sept 23, 1905-d.1962 and Mildred (Gardner)Meaney b. Feb. 13, 1903 - d. Nov. 29, 1970 were born in NL and St. Pierre respectively. John William Meaney's entry in the baptisms for St. Patrick's church in Montreal, Quebec has his sponsors as William Gorman; Porter and Kathinka Gorman both of St. Patrick's Parish. Given the earlier realtionship with Gorman's in St. Pierre I feel that somehow this family is either related or of signifigance to our family history.

Hope it connects. I would like to find out anything that explains this family's relationship to ours.

Nancy

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:01 pm 

While researching the Lahey families of Harbour Grace I came across a marriage of Michael Lahey & Catherine Gorman who were married in 1872 they had two children that I am aware of Mary Ellen & Richard.
In the 1921 census of Harbour Grace their was a Margaret Farell listed as Head of the household she is a widow, born Oct 1839, 82 years in Harbour Grace. Her sister Katherine Lahey also a widow was living in the same household she was born in March 1842 aged 79 born in Harbour Grace. This I believe is the Catherine Gorman who married Michael Lahey. I believe this family of Gorman’s may be from Harbour Main.
Leonard Lahey

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am 

hi , my great grandmother was mariah O,Gorman she married Lawrence Gallant they lived in stephenville crossing she was from harbour main , i don,t have much info on then either,

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames