Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: John Robert Wareham (1904-1960)
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:28 pm 

I am looking for additional information that could be offered concerning my late father-in-law, John Wareham. All that I know is that John was born in Salmon Cove, Newfoundland, May 5, 1904; married Violet King Peary, in Chelsea, Massachusetts on January 18, 1929; and died June 21, 1960 in Boston, Massachusetts. John & Violet had five children: Marian Jane; John Robert Jr; Dorothy May (1930-2000); George Edward (1941-2009); Arthur Freeman (1945-1985). John's father is recorded on his death certificate as Robert Wareham, born Newfoundland & his mother is Jane Vates -or- Yates, born Newfoundland.
My goal is to obtain further information on John's parents. All help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: John Robert Wareham (1904-1960)
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 am 

dwareham wrote:
I am looking for additional information that could be offered concerning my late father-in-law, John Wareham. All that I know is that John was born in Salmon Cove, Newfoundland, May 5, 1904; married Violet King Peary, in Chelsea, Massachusetts on January 18, 1929; and died June 21, 1960 in Boston, Massachusetts. John & Violet had five children: Marian Jane; John Robert Jr; Dorothy May (1930-2000); George Edward (1941-2009); Arthur Freeman (1945-1985). John's father is recorded on his death certificate as Robert Wareham, born Newfoundland & his mother is Jane Vates -or- Yates, born Newfoundland.
My goal is to obtain further information on John's parents. All help is appreciated.

My name is Sue and my family has many of the names you mention although the dates are different, so they may be a different branch of the same family. Grandfather was Robert James Wareham born Nov 2 1902 in Salmon Cove NFLD and married to Henrietta Doyle in Glace Bay NS. His father was John Robert Wareham born in Salmon Cove NFLD Sept 6 1888 Died ~ 1960. He was married to Mary Anne King. They had 3 kids, Robert James, Edward (Ned) and Charlotte (Lottie).
My mother's name was Dorthy May 1926-2004. I remember my grandfather saying many relatives went to Massachusetts area. I have been searching this family for 2 years with no success. I hope that there is a connection.
With thanks, Sue

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:59 am 

Hello Sue ... thank you for your response to my inquiry. Of course it takes more research, but, at first glance ... it may be that Robert James Wareham (b. 11/2/1902 - d. ?) & John Robert Wareham (b.? - d. 06/21/1960) might have been siblings; both children of John Robert Wareham. It is also very interesting that John Robert Wareham's first daughter shares the same name as your mother; Dorothy May. There are "King" cousins interspersed in my husband's line of the family. I'm going to try to check this out with other interested members of my Wareham line to see if I can come up with some additional facts. What I really need to do is to take a day off from work and visit Chelsea City Hall to see if I can get some marriage documentation on John Robert Wareham; hopefully, that may lead me back to actual date of birth. I will be in touch, but, I warn you, it may take a while! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you come up with some more info that may help us both out. Take care ... Denise Wareham

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:19 pm 

dwareham wrote:
Hello Sue ... thank you for your response to my inquiry. Of course it takes more research, but, at first glance ... it may be that Robert James Wareham (b. 11/2/1902 - d. ?) & John Robert Wareham (b.? - d. 06/21/1960) might have been siblings; both children of John Robert Wareham. It is also very interesting that John Robert Wareham's first daughter shares the same name as your mother; Dorothy May. There are "King" cousins interspersed in my husband's line of the family. I'm going to try to check this out with other interested members of my Wareham line to see if I can come up with some additional facts. What I really need to do is to take a day off from work and visit Chelsea City Hall to see if I can get some marriage documentation on John Robert Wareham; hopefully, that may lead me back to actual date of birth. I will be in touch, but, I warn you, it may take a while! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you come up with some more info that may help us both out. Take care ... Denise Wareham

Denise Thanks for getting back to me. You have really encouraged me!!!!!!
I have resurrected some old hand written notes I took during an interview with my grandfather back in the early 90's. His father John Robert was born Sept 5, 1880 in Salmon Cove and married in Perry's Cove NFLD to Mary Anne King "Polly" was her nick name. They had 3 kids Edward Melvin called "Ned", Charlotte Mae called "Lottie" and Robert James called "Rob". Therefore your John Robert can not be the same, but they may be cousins.
Th parents of my John Robert (~1880-~1968) were Robert Wareham (dates unknown) and Charlotte Butt Kelloway of Perry's Cove NFLD. The siblings of John Robert were Terence, Gilbert who married a Mildred Riddle and had 2 boys, Lidia who married a Henry King, Jane who may have been a step-sister with a last name of Kelloway married John Jellott, and Eva also possibly a Kelloway who married a George Vateres: there was also another Robert.
[b]This Robert according to my notes had a son John Robert born May 5, 1904Siblings were Wilson Sept 2, 1902; Edmund August 2, 1898; Clara May 5, 1901; Amos Oct 13 1896; Thomas April 20, 1907. I think John Robert 1904 is a nephew of my greatgrandfather John Robert (~1880-~1968)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 pm 

Hi Sue ... thanks for the update! I'm going to add this to my latest blog on my "Wareham Family" website. I've only recently started the site, so, there's not a lot there yet, but, you're more than welcomed to check it out and, if you'd like, join in on it. The website address is http://warehamfamilymemories.shutterfly.com/.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:09 pm 

Hi again Sue ... you say in your notes that "there is another Robert" and that this particular Robert had a son, John Robert, born May 5, 1904 ... This probably IS my Robert Wareham, who married Jane Vates/Yates, and their son, my father-in-law, John Robert Wareham, born in 1904. My only basis of reasoning, at this time, is that I know my John Robert Wareham married Violet King Peary in 1929 when he was 25 years old. John Robert, born 1904, would have been 25 years of age in 1929. How nice it would be if this works out and now I have several siblings of his to check out! I'll be in touch!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Just reading these posts and thought you may be interested in this site

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/slmncv-brth-bdv.shtml

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Len wrote:
Just reading these posts and thought you may be interested in this site

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/slmncv-brth-bdv.shtml

Robert James Wareham John Robert Mary A. Nov 1, 1902 Dec 18, 1902 T. H. James Salmon Cove

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm 

Fantastic thank you. This is my maternal grandfather and his siblings are listed also. This is my first definitive Wareham success. Now I have somewhere to go with further search questions.

Sue

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

You're welcome. I have Wareham's in my family tree on my wife's side. She is related to Cecily Butt b.11 aug 1905 who was married to Robert Chesley Wareham B. 17 Aug 1899 son of Terrance Wareham B. 29 aug 1876. ( Terrance and Leah Wareham, Salmon Cove, Conception Bay)

You can find records for Salmon Cove under Methodist (United ) Church , Conception Bay North. Under this site and http://nl.canadagenweb.org/

You will see in those sites; Blackhead, Perry's Cove, Flat Rock, Freshwater, Salmon Cove , Victoria and Carbonear. You may find Wareham's in any of those communities on these sites. The church records can also be found under (United) Methodist Church in the Bay de Verd area of Conception Bay North also.

Hope this helps you out. I have nothing further on the Warehams as I was tracing down the Butt family. on my wife's side.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:50 pm 

Wow thanks for your generosity. Terence Wareham was my grandfather's uncle, so Robert Chesley was a first cousin. I remember grandad speaking of Cecily after they had returned to NFLD for vacations.

Best wishes in your continued searches

Sue

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Sue wrote:
Wow thanks for your generosity. Terence Wareham was my grandfather's uncle, so Robert Chesley was a first cousin. I remember grandad speaking of Cecily after they had returned to NFLD for vacations.

Best wishes in your continued searches

Sue

Great , I'm glad this worked out. Cecily is half sister to my wife's Grandfather, Giles Smith (Butt). If you need further help you can email me.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:10 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

This info found on this site; Here's the link; http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/oc-cb-wa ... 1927.shtml

Robert James WAREHAM (B, 23, Meth) married (Henrietta?) DOYLE (S, 21, Meth) Jul 3, 1923 at the Methodist Parsonage, New Aberdeen. Both were born in Newfoundland. Both were residing in Glace Bay at the time of their marriage. Parents of Robert: John R. WAREHAM, Mary Ann KING Parents of (Henrietta?): (Isreal?) DOYLE, Jane SNOW George H. SLADE, Ethel SLADE (C.A. MUNRO) 2404 Jul 3, 1923

The following info found at this link;http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/oc-cb-epworth-uc-marr-1900-1929.shtml

Cemos WAREHAM (B, 24, Meth) married Gladys PEACH (S, 20, Bapt) Apr 1, 1922 in the Parsonage. He was born in NFLD and she in Sydney. He was residing in Birch Grove, C.B. and she in Sydney at the time of their marriage. Parents of Cemos: Robert WAREHAM, Jane VATERS Parents of Gladys: Joseph Peach, Ethel SHEPARD Robt WAREHAM, (Jean SWETHAM?) (W.J.W. SWETHAM?) 1749 Apr 1, 1922

Anything I see while doing my research I will post to this site in hopes that it may help you out.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the update! I'm wondering if the person responsible for providing John Wareham's parents' names, on his death certificate, relayed it as "Jane Vates" rather than "Jane Vaters" ... that would certainly help clear up a few things! Thanks again ...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

dwareham wrote:
Thanks for the update! I'm wondering if the person responsible for providing John Wareham's parents' names, on his death certificate, relayed it as "Jane Vates" rather than "Jane Vaters" ... that would certainly help clear up a few things! Thanks again ...

My opinion is that it should be "VATERS" as that is a common surname in that area. I haven't seen "VATES" at all other than what you have. I will look around to see if I can find anything further for you.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 pm 

Thanks again! I'm going to be off line for 4 or 5 days, but, will start snooping around upon my return.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames