Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: William Curtis
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:58 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

William Curtis was born at Studland, Dorset, England on March 30, 1814, and baptised on April 17, 1814, the son of Henry Curtis and Ann Hibbs. He emigrated to Newfoundland and set up a homestead on the Twillingate South Island. Later in life, William Curtis resided at Mill Island in Halls Bay, and at Little Bay Islands. He died on January 21, 1899, and was buried at Little Bay Islands.

I have seven children listed for William Curtis.

I am interested in conversing with anyone who has information on this Curtis family. I am specifically seeking information and clarification on the spouse(s) of William Curtis.

Appreciated.

Milt Anstey

Post subject: Re: William Curtis
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm 

Could you please let me know who the children are I am looking for the parents of Eliza Curtis she married a James Butcher of Green Harbour. She remarried a Stuckless after her husband died. Her daughters are Janie and Thursa.
Thank you
Susan

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:36 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Susan:

I am away from my residence for a few days. I can provide you with the names of the children of William Curtis upon my return there.

The Eliza Curtis you mentioned is not part of this family, however. At least this is my opinion from my extensive research of this Curtis clan.

My focus in this instance is in trying to ascertain, with certainty, the spouse(s) of William Curtis.

Let me know if you require an additional response in this matter.

Milt

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:49 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Susan:

The Eliza Curtis that you referenced as marrying James Butcher is found in the 1921 census report for Campbellton, Notre Dame Bay:

BUTCHER James M Head Married 1844 June 77 Meth Greens Pond
BUTCHER Eliza F Wife Married 1881 April 40 SA Virgin Arm
BUTCHER Stella F Daughter Single 1902 Dec 18 Meth Summerford
BUTCHER Janie F Daughter Single 1911 Dec 9 SA Brounie Arm (?)
BUTCHER Thursa F Daughter Single 1914 Oct 6 SA Brounie Arm (?)

Eliza (Curtis) Butcher was born in Virgin Arm, New World Island. She is attached to a William Curtis, who relocated from Snellings Cove, on the Twillingate North Island, and settled at Virgin Arm, New World Island, circa 1876. The following piece of information that I lifted from an online site suggests this William Curtis was one of the first settlers of Virgin Arm.

"The first record of settlement at Virgin Arm is from Lovell's Newfoundland Directory (1871), which identifies fisherman John Smith as a resident and notes a population of 10 people. However, Smith appear in the subsequent records, while Virgin Arm was not enumerated separately in the Census until 1901 (pop. 70). Locally, the first settler is said to have been a Curtis, of Snellings Cove, Twillingate. William Curtis was resident by 1876, and by 1882 had been joined by John Hicks and a family named Nicholas, also of Twillingate. At about the turn of the century several other families settled: Burts (from Tizzard's Harbour),Gleesons, Hanns, Ingses and Prices."

The William Curtis that I referenced resided for several years on the Twillingate South Island. His children were born in the 1830's and 1840's. The William Curtis that I referenced, is apparently a different William Curtis than the one you have an interest in.

All the Best.

Milt

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:14 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Good morning, Susan:

I acknowledge your message from yesterday evening.

Here are a couple of additional tidbits of information.

It seems James Butcher was previously married to Elizabeth Burt, before he married Eliza Curtis.

"Elizabeth BOUTCHER - d Aug 29 1907 - Carters Cove - childbirth - age 41 years - METH. - Tizzards Harbour - Tizzards Harbour - Born Feb 4 1862 - Tizzards Hr, d/o Richard & Fanny BURT; married 1890 to James BUTCHER of Greenspond, who resided Campbellton 1921."

Several of the Curtis clan from Virgin Arm uprooted during the early 1900's and resettled at Campbellton.

Milt

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm 

Hi Milt,

I have a William Thomas Curtis in my database, son of Henry & Ann, with a brother Benjamin. Same birthdate, deathdate, etc. I have him as marrying Hannah Yates, born Mar. 26, 1816 of William Yates and Ann Brown. If you would like further info. I can forward the file to you.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy of your file on the Curtis', to compare the contents with the information I have on hand.

The Benjamin Curtis name you mentioned is intriguing to me for a particular reason.

Milt

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not post your e-mail address in the open forum

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 am 

Hi Milt,
Can you contact me offline by e-mail.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 pm 

Ivy Curtis was born on Mill Island. She worked at the Post Office in Springdale for about 50 years. My family lived next door to her.

Newfie

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:42 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, I am showing Ivy Clarice Taverner Curtis was born on March 3, 1891 at Halls Bay, NL., daughter of Francis Edward Curtis and his second wife, Louisa Susannah Taverner. Ivy died at St. John's, NL., on August 7, 1972, and was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery at St. John's.

Ivy was a grand-daughter of William Curtis (1814-1899).

Do you have additional information on the William Curtis family - specifically on the spouse(s) of William Curtis ?

Appreciated.

Milt

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 pm 

Louisa Susanna TAVERNER is the daughter of Joseph TAVERNER and Mary WISEMAN both of Trinity, Trinity Bay.
Children with Francis Edward Curtis - I know of 3 - Wilfred Clarence Reginald Curtis (b. 1885), Stella Blanche Curtis (1886-1888) and Ivy Clarice Taverner Curtis (b. 1891)
-I don't have any further information on CURTIS or on further descendants of Francis Curtis and Susannah Taverner

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, Francis Edward Curtis (1840 - 1908) and his second wife, Louisa Susannah Taverner (1851 - 1940) had five children that I am aware of - the three children you listed, and two others: Aileen May "Minnie" Curtis, born on July 9, 1882, and Felicia Pearl Curtis, born on February 20, 1888.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:42 am 

thanks, Milt.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I had an opportunity today to examine a photocopy of the handwritten marriage record for James Butcher and Eliza Anne Curtis.

The record confirms that, "On July 9, 1909, at Carters Cove, James Butcher, age 49, of Carters Cove, married Eliza Anne Curtis, age 32, of Virgin Arm. Witnesses to the marriage ceremony were Thomas Burt and Mrs. Esau Burt. The clergyman was Frank D. Cotton."

Milt

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames