Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Surname: Fortune
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:22 pm 

My gg grandmother was Catherine Fortune, born in 1835 and baptised in Harbour Grace.

I have found 2 Fortune families in Carbonear and 4 in Toad's Cove. At least 3 of the 4 in Toad's Cove were brothers, including Patrick.

Some of the Toad's Cove group went to Carbonear, and were witnesses/sponsors for the events for at least one of the Fortunes in Carbonear. As a result, I think they were all connected.

There was a death in 1882 in Carbonear for a 98 year old Matthew Fortune, native of Kilkenny, Ireland. I think this is the father of my Catherine, but he married at the age of 48. Maybe he was a widow and was actually the father of some of the other Fortunes???

I do have the baptisms of 3 earlier Fortunes between 1816-1819 and I have tied one of them to the 4 Fortunes in Toad's Cove, and possibly one in Carbonear.

I have documented all/most the events for the Fortunes in Carbonear, Harbour Grace, Toad's Cove and St John's Cathedral. However, I am struggling to make the connection because the records end.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames