Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Families of Elliston/Maberly/Bonavista
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:41 pm 

Hi, my name is Barbara Chaulk Gallant. I have been actively tracing my family tree for about 20 years now. I have a fair bit of information about the following families from the Elliston/Maberly/Bonavista area
Chaulk/Chalk
Murphy
Porter
Pearce/Pierce
Miles

I also have some information about Russell and Sanger. As well I have a copy of Doug Cole's book the Families of Elliston if someone would like a lookup.

If anyone would like to share information about the above families let me know.
Thanks
Barbara

Post subject: Re: Families of Elliston/Maberly/Bonavista
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:47 pm 

I'm interested in whatever info you have on the Miles family, particularly the Miles of Bonavista. I know that there is some confusion the farther back you go with distinguishing between the Miles' of Bonavista and Elliston. My lineage is through John, son of James Miles and Dinah Hapgood, who married Elizabeth "Betsy" Etsell.
I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Doug Cole's book. Do you know where I can get a copy?

Post subject: Re: Families of Elliston/Maberly/Bonavista
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:17 pm 

Hi James,

Yes there is some confusion about the two Miles families since both consist of a John Miles with a wife named Elizabeth. My line traces back to John Miles and Elizabeth Faulkner through two of the their daughters, Martha who married Robert Chaulk and Sarah who married John Murphy.
I believe my John and your James were brothers but I haven't seen any real evidence linking them.
Anyway I've got the families broken down this way. John and Elizabeth Faulkner's children are Lucia/Lucy, Mary, Jane, Elizabeth, Martha, William , James, Ann, John, Charles, Susanna, and Sarah. John and Betsey's children: John, Thomas, George, Samuel, Marianne, Joseph, Jane, Henry, Thirza and Elizabeth.
Doug Cole just lists all of them as the children of John and Elizabeth Faulkner Miles. He doesn't seem to have been aware of the John and Betsey pairing. My John and Elizabeth converted to Methodism around 1824 which makes a little easier to tell them apart since they turn up in the Methodist records after that date.
I'm not sure how you can get Doug's book. I bought my copy years ago by writing him directly. I believe he is running a B&B called Ellison Bed and Breakfast and that they have a website. Maybe if you contacted him he's have a copy. Besides 'The Families of Elliston: a referenced geneology', you might also be interested in his book 'Elliston, the story of a Newfoundland outport which also has some family history.
Anything else you'd like to know?
Barbara

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames