Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: COLE - Carbonear/Victoria
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:06 pm 

Looking for information on COLE families of Carbonear and Victoria. Specifically I'm searching for the parents of Nathaniel COLE who married Sarah KING in 1849. I think he is the son of Elias Jr. (b. abt. 1808) but don't know for sure because I can't find anything on Elias other than his baptism. There are several Nathaniels, even another one close to the same age (a cousin likely). I would like to be in touch with anyone researching my COLE family to trade information.

Roger Cole

Post subject: Re: COLE - Carbonear/Victoria
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 am 

Did any of your "Coles" venture over to the Harbour Main area?
First names, Michael, James, William?

Michael married Bridget Hearn jan 1881 in Harbour main

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:50 pm 

Not as far as I know yet.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am 

The only Cole I have in my tree was an Ann Cole purportedly of Conception Bay. I don't have a birth date, but based on her death date (13 May 1827 in Harbour Grace, NL), she was probably born abt 1755. She married John Ashe (b. 1747 d. 1819 in Harbour Grace). This couple had at least 6 children between 1774 and 1787 all in Harbour Grace, NL. From what I know these Ashe children married into the Brace, Knight, Sheppard, Noseworth (or Noseworthy?) families. Not sure if that helps, but putting the info out there can't hurt.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 am 

Wow, I am also researching John Ash and his descendants. I knew his wife was Ann but did not know her last name. Are you related to these Ashes? Can you confirm whether or not John's son, William, had a daughter named Sarah and did she marry William Gillespie of Carbonear abt 1825? For John and Ann's children I have Mary, William, Sarah, John Thomas, Elizabeth, and Anne. I do not have spouses for Mary, Sarah, or Elizabeth, do you?

Thanks

Roger

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:08 am 

Loverly to hear from you and apologies for not responding earlier.

My connection to the Ashe/Cole line is through my 2nd great grandmother (paternal side), an Elizabeth Brace who married an Edward James Angell (or sometimes Angel). This couple were both born in Newfoundland and travelled to settle in New Zealand from there in 1864/1865.

Elizabeth Brace is (supposedly) the daughter of William Cole Brace and Elizabeth (Eliza) Howlett. William Cole Brace was the son of Richard Brace and MAy Ashe, and this Mary Ashe (b. 11 Oct 1775) was the daughter of John Ashe and Ann Cole. This means my Mary Ashe is the sister of the William Ashe you are asking about.

I must say most of my information re: the Ashe/Cole families has been acquired from other dedicated family historians- but the details I had were that William Ashe was b. 29 Dec 1777 in Harbour Grace, Nfd and d. in 1857 in Harbour Grace. I have him only marrying a Sarah UNKNOWN, and no details of any children. Hoever I would imagine that if he wife was a Sarah naming traditions would likely follow a daughter being named that as well.

For John Ashe and Ann Cole I also have the same 6 children you mentioned. Obviously I have a lot more on the Mary Ashe line and would be happy to share that (you can message me from this site and we can connect by email) or we can just to bits and pieces on here. I also have no spouse for Elizabeth, but do have one for her sister Sarah marrying a Henry Sheppard, but no other details other than that.

There is a family tree on Family Tree Maker that refers to Curran Family Tree - which does show your William Ashe as marrying a Sarah UNKNOWN, having severl children in cluding a Sarah, but no details of her husband or children. Any realation?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:51 am 

Hi Roger,
While I don't know for sure who Nathaniel's father was, undoubtedly if you go to his grandfather, you will find it is Elias Cole of Bridport Dorset. He married Sarah Butt of Crocker's Cove in 1795. I am descended from their daughter Elizabeth Cole.

Your Nathaniel could be son of another Nathaniel who was born 1807 and died 1894. I have never found a marriage or children for him. Other sons of Elias and Sarah are John, Richard, Elias, William (Henry) and Robert.

Do you have information on Elias, because I have it going back several generations in Dorset.

Susan

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:06 pm 

Hi Susan,

I think we have may have corresponded several years ago. It makes sense that Nathaniel (1807-1894) could have been a son of Elias because there is a gap between Richard (1802) and Elias Jr (1808) but I've never seen anything about that.

I have information on Elias' ancestors that I believe you supplied me quite a few years ago. I have his parents as Elias Cole and Hannah Way, his grandparents as Elias Cole and Mary Phillips, and his grt-grandparents as Elias Cole and Hannah Martin (or Morton). I don't know if some is conjecture or wishful thinking but with the name of Elias in each preceding generation, it looked good to me. I would appreciate being able to compare information if you're willing. My e-mail address is colers@shaw.ca.

Roger

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm 

Greetings Roger,

I am interested in George Cole abt 1830 and Joannah ?? Abt 1830 parents of Maria Cole abt 1854 - 1896 wife of George Thomas Tucker abt 1854 - abt 1898 of Carbonear. Is George Cole a member of the family that you are researching?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:22 am 

Hi, looking for info on William Bartlett Cole, I've two relatives with this name. My grandfather born 27 08 1915 in Newfoundland and his father which I know from my grandfather's marriage certificate. They were both fisherman. Thanks

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 am 

Hi Hanna,

I have this family recorded with your Wm Bartlett Cole’s father being baptized as Bartlett Bannerman Cole, born March 9, 1862. He died Jan 25, 1949 in Carbonear. He was married to Mary Jane (nee unknown, 1872-1956)

Bartlett Cole’s father was Joseph Cole born February 25, 1832 to Henry Cole and his wife Emma. Joseph Cole was married to Delphine (nee unknown, 1840-1886) and Joseph died Feb 6, 1909 in Carbonear. Joseph’s sister Elizabeth Jane Cole was my 2x great-grandmother.

Henry Cole was the son of Elias Cole of Bridport, Dorset that the others have referred to above. He was born 1800, and died Dec 1 1875 at age 75. Emma died young (1806-1842), and I have not been able to place her but I believe she was a Clarke, perhaps a Dean. Henry remarried widow Maria Dean in 1844, her nee also unknown.

I have lots of info on the siblings on this line if you are interested in more information.

Would you have any information on the maiden names of any of the wives above — Mary Jane Delphine or Emma?

Carol

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 am 

Note regarding Henry Cole and William Cole, both sons of Elias....

Most folks identify them as one and the same (ie William Henry or Henry William).

Henry was born in 1800, died 1875. He is my 3x great-grandfather.

His brother William was born about 1806 +/- (bapt 1811) and died Nov 20 1883 in St John’s, death register and newspaper announcement stating he was age 77, a native of Carbonear. He converted to RC and married Ellen Keefe in 1854, and they had 6 children.

Carol

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 am 

Hi all,

Wonderful to connect with some Cole researchers.

Just wondering thoughts of the group. I believe that the Harbour Grace Cole line is a totally different one from the Carbonear/Crockers Cove Cole line.

While Elias Cole of Carbonear 1767-1839 was married in HG, the family was centered in and remained in Carbonear. I haven’t seen any crossover of the lines to HG (at least in the 1800’s), and while I have many Cole DNA connections, I have never had one to an individual that was a Cole of HG or elsewhere, other than those traced back to Carbonear.

Has anyone else found otherwise?

Carol

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:20 am 

Hi Roger,

Nathaniel Cole was born Sept 20, 1823, bapt Jan 6 1824, son of Elias Cole’s eldest son John.

John was born Nov 3 1799 and baptized as an adult in Nov 1831, record confirming his parents were Elias and Sarah. John married Mary Clarke (1801-1887) on March 10, 1822, both of Crocker’s Cove. They baptized 6 children that I have found; let me know if you need details on them. John died May 6 1869.

Nathaniel married Sarah Jane King (1824-1890) on Oct 28 1849, he of Crocker’s Cove, she of Perry’s Cove. They baptized 7 children that I have found; let me know if you need details on them. Nathaniel died March 27 1889.

Regards,
Carol

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:30 am 

Hi Curt,

If Maria is the daughter of George and Johanna, then your George Cole is of this line; he married Johanna Dean on January 25 1855.

As far as father, there is no baptism for George unfortunately, but I also believe it is Elias Junior as you do.

As far as parental candidates, only Elias’ elder brothers John and Henry were old enough to be a father, and they both were conscientious about baptizing children and they didn’t have a George. Richard would have been old enough, but never married until 1836 record stating he was a bachelor. Same for William, and he married in 1854.

I will say I don’t show him as having a daughter Maria; do you have more info that could be shared?

Regards,
Carol

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames