Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips

Post subject: How to find a researcher in St John's?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:50 am 

I hit a brick wall with my Bulger family about 10 years ago and haven't been able to get beyond it. I live in Minnesota and cannot travel to Newfoundland. I went through all the Basilica records that were on-line and found a number of possible ancestors, but I can't put the pieces altogether. There are two Nicholas Bulgers, both born in the 1805-1815 period. However, I don't know which is mine.
My question is: how can I find a researcher who can help me? I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, but I don't know where else to look. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Leo Bulger

Post subject: Re: How to find a researcher in St John's?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:58 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Here is a list from "The Rooms Provincial Archives Division" of private researchers, I had Gene Quigley do some work for me a few years ago and I was very happy with her work.

https://www.therooms.ca/sites/default/f ... r_2015.pdf

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:19 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Leo, I just took a cursory look in the records, and it appears your predicament is solvable. Although it will take some time and effort to select all of the records from the pile.

Thomas Bulger of Waterford, Ireland married Mary Cody in 1807 at St. John's. Witnesses were Nicholas Cody and Mary McGrath.

Thomas Bulger and Mary Cody had several children, including Nicholas Bulger, who was baptised in 1812 at St. John's.

Nicholas Bulger of St. John's married Catherine Delaney on April 16, 1833 at Trinity.

Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Delaney had several children, including Edward Joseph Bulger, who was baptised in 1835 at St. John's.

Edward Bulger married Anne Murphy on September 28, 1860 at St. John's, by Reverend Jeremiah O'Donnell. Witnesses were Thomas Bulger and Johannah Kelly.

This is your lineage, I believe.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm 

Thank you for your responses.
I can trace my lineage from my father through Edward Bulger who married Ann Murphy on September 28, 1860. From family papers, I know Nicholas was the father of Edward Bulger. But I have been confused about which Nicholas was Edward's father.
I am aware of this Thomas Bulger and his son Nicholas who married Catherine Delaney. But I didn't see in the records that Nicholas and Catherine Delaney had a son Edward.
I saw in the Basilica of St John's records an Edward born to Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Laricy and baptized Nov 12, 1835. Sponsors at Edward's baptism were Nicholas Coady and Bridget Burke. The sponsors make me think of a connection to the Thomas Bulger/Mary Coady family line.
There are three possibilities that I see:
1) There was a mistake in the recording and Catherine Laricy is really Catherine Delaney. Or there is another record that shows that Edward (born in 1835) is the child of Nicholas and Catherine Delaney.
2) There are two distinct Nicholas. One married Catherine Delaney and one married Catherine Laricy.
3) Nicholas Bulger who is married to Catherine Laricy is the Nicholas, son of Thomas Bulger, instead of the Nicholas Bulger who is married to Catherine Delaney? I say that because Nicholas Coady is the sponsor at the Baptism of Edward Bulger, born to Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Laricy. Nicholas Coady is not the sponsor for any of the children of Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Delaney.
Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:37 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I submit that Catherine Laricy is Catherine Delaney !

The records don't support there being a Catherine Laricy - a recording or transcription error.

The record I perused seems to have handwritten surname spelling D'Laney.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 am 

Thank you. Thank you. Everything falls into place once Catherine Laricy and Catherine Delaney are one and the same person. I was always hesitant to make the determination that Catherine Laricy was Catherine Delaney because we always want to be accurate and precise in our genealogy research.
My father always talked about a "big Uncle Nick" who was the son of Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Delaney. Now the connection is clear because "big Uncle Nick" and Edward were brothers.
Thank you again for your feedback that supports this finding....and for getting me over the brick wall of my research.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yes, I am seeing that Nicholas Bulger and Catherine Delaney had two sons named Nicholas, so the first son named Nicholas must have died at an infant age and they repeated the first name for a later son.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 am 

The Rooms Provincial Archives has not been adding researchers' names to their website for several years now, thereby excluding other professionals in the St. John's area. If members are looking for that particular service contacts can also be found at this link:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf/researchers.htm

Board index » Genealogy » Genealogy Hints & Tips